4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Custom catback questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 02:58 PM

Custom catback questions

I'm looking into getting a custom 2.5" b-pipe and a highflow muffler. I don't want a LOUD exhaust but a nice deep tone would be ok. What universal muffler do you all recommend? I looked in the maxmod page and saw the selection but I would love to hear some sound clips from those who have any of those universal mufflers with their b-pipe. Also, if I decide to just do a custom 2.5" b-pipe, would that alone change the sound of the exhaust and make it louder?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would recommend my setup of a custom resonated (this is very important) b-pipe and dynomax superturbo without hesitation for what you want. No clips though.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:16 PM

If you don't mind, how much did that setup run ya? I read that the sound is deep at WOT. How loud is it at idle and WOT? Also, what's the difference between your custom resonator and those universal types?

Originally Posted by Terran
I would recommend my setup of a custom resonated (this is very important) b-pipe and dynomax superturbo without hesitation for what you want. No clips though.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:18 PM

i just got the warpspeed y-pipe and cat converter, a custom 2.5 b pipe and dynomax super turbo muffler. its benig put on sat. so i can provide sound clips. i everything with installation is going 2 run me about 500 which is a sick deal in my opinion
Old 02-09-2005, 04:24 PM

I paid $200 for my setup... resonated 2.5" catback with Flowmaster 80 series. For the sound you want I wouldnt hesitate goign with a Flowmaster, Magnaflow or even Dynomax. Just make sure its resonated.

If you have a Y pipe, its going to sound alot louder than with your stock one.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:25 PM

I paid $110 for the work and the resonator, and $50 for the muffler from summit. What do you mean the difference between my resonator and a universal one? What universal one? The resonator (kind of a second muffler) in the b-pipe is important because it will be pretty loud without it and not sound very good...raspy (this is not from personal experience though, so I could be wrong about being raspy).

At idle you can just here the exhaust (unless the music is on). About the same cruising at 2k-2.5k. It is noticeably louder from outside the car, but not intrusive at all. Just adds a bit of sound.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:33 PM

This sounds like the setup I want. Initially, I was thinking about just straight b-pipe all the way to the muffler. But w/o the resonator, it will be too loud. How did you get the resonator on there? I still can't figure out what you meant by custome resonator? Does it mean, your exhaust guy made a resonator from scratch? Thanks. BTW, that price is unheard off!!! I can't even find anything out here that's under $200 so far. I am afraid that if it gets any cheaper, I'd end up with a low quality setup and poor workmanship.

I paid $110 for the work and the resonator, and $50 for the muffler from summit. What do you mean the difference between my resonator and a universal one? What universal one? The resonator (kind of a second muffler) in the b-pipe is important because it will be pretty loud without it and not sound very good...raspy (this is not from personal experience though, so I could be wrong about being raspy).

At idle you can just here the exhaust (unless the music is on). About the same cruising at 2k-2.5k. It is noticeably louder from outside the car, but not intrusive at all. Just adds a bit of sound.

Please post sound clips when you can. Does that price include stainless steel pipes?

Originally Posted by exit10
i just got the warpspeed y-pipe and cat converter, a custom 2.5 b pipe and dynomax super turbo muffler. its benig put on sat. so i can provide sound clips. i everything with installation is going 2 run me about 500 which is a sick deal in my opinion
Thanks. I am still debating whether to get a y pipe or not. I'm not ready to deal with the headaches that comes when its time for smog inspection.

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
I paid $200 for my setup... resonated 2.5" catback with Flowmaster 80 series. For the sound you want I wouldnt hesitate goign with a Flowmaster, Magnaflow or even Dynomax. Just make sure its resonated.

If you have a Y pipe, its going to sound alot louder than with your stock one.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:37 PM

No he just had one and custom bent the pipes. Look under your car and you'll see a sort of extra muffler. Just tell the exhaust place you want them to put in a resonated b-pipe.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:40 PM

Got it! Basically, its a resonator fitted with bent pipes that make up the B section.

BTW, I'm not sure where the 3rd O2 sensor is on that section. Depending if it is on the section with the cat or b-pipe, how should the custom b-pipe go in? Would it be necessary to just cut the section after the O2 sensor or what? I am looking at the exhaust diagram in my chiltons and it doesn't show the exact orientation of the O2 sensor.

No he just had one and custom bent the pipes. Look under your car and you'll see a sort of extra muffler. Just tell the exhaust place you want them to put in a resonated b-pipe.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:48 PM

On 97+ the rear 02 is located a few inches behind on the cat on the B pipe... You can have them make a new pipe from the cat and just weld a bung