4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Max has sat for 5 months: any precautions i should take before cranking ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Max has sat for 5 months: any precautions i should take before cranking ?

My Max has sat since August 23rd until present. I had it shipped from Houston, Tx to New Zealand. In that process the car got violated -- read thread here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=376104

I have taken out the battery and gotten it recharged, its all hooked up and ready to go. If you ever had questions about the Odyssey PC680MJT , I can tell you its one tough cookie ! For 5 dollars its charged back up and ready to go.

I have sourced some stock parts (stock airbox/intake, maf sensor, and hoses) and im waiting on the insurance to give me the word on when i can start replacing parts and get the chariot up and running. Just going to buy some cheap parts to get the car running until the new parts come in. Then replace them.

Im not the most mechanically minded guy, so Im wondering what precautions should I take in starting up the engine again. (been about 5 months i think)

Key Notes:

* Oil Level Looks very low on stick ( planning on changing oil before cranking the car up, is it possible to change the oil in front driveway ? (tips)
* car has half a tank of gas ( should i drain & replace with new gas , tips on draining gas)
* the Injen intake was stolen, maf sensor, and hoses. ( any type of checklist i should do to make sure im getting all the parts and hoses replaced ?)

Engine Image Below

Above Image: It seems like there is another small hose that went into the Injen intake that you inserted a little sensor into the intake piping ? what is that called. just remembered that ?

* transmission fluid - should this be checked ?

Basically just looking for some precations to consider before getting the car up and running again. thanks guys

c
Old 02-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just go ahead and throw some new oil and filter in there.....just remove the drain plug and let it flow

you might want to put some new gasoline in there on top of the old stuff....that might help doubt you'd have to drain it out....i would if it had been like a year

tranny fluid.....warm it up and check to see if its still a reddish/amber color....if not that's not hard to replace either
Old 02-12-2005, 12:31 PM
VQ Wizard

That poor thing also needs a brake flush. You may choose to just top off the oil first and let the car get upto operating temperature first. However I remember you mentiond that motor oil is expensive there in NZ.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Old Maxima Legend

not a biggy, might just add some like you said, and then get my tail over to the nissan shop in town and let them doctor her up, lol ! i need a brake flush ?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Old Maxima Legend

It seems like there is another small hose that went into the Injen intake that you inserted a little sensor into the intake piping ? what is that called. just remembered that ?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:40 PM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
It seems like there is another small hose that went into the Injen intake that you inserted a little sensor into the intake piping ? what is that called. just remembered that ?
thats the MAF sensor and you ARE missing this hose !!

Old 02-12-2005, 01:49 PM

Are you talking about the intake air sensor? since your car is 5 spd just unscrew the filler plug and stick your finger in it. If you feel the oil then your fine if not ethier change it or add some.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:59 PM

i would change out the fuel filter as well
Old 02-12-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

fuel should be fine, just change the oil, and make sure you have the maf, and iat sensor plugged in. may want to also do a coolant flush.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:11 PM

Pretty much like everyone else said. Just change the oil and you should be fine. Make sure you let the car run for like 20 minutes so everything can work again properly and then go take it for a drive.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:18 PM

after u get it running you might want to do the good ol seafoam treatment.

sitting like that and being at sea might of caused alot of moisture to build up in the engine and such, which might have caused a lil rust build up.

clean your tb out and spray into the intake manifold with the tb cleaner.

change fuel filter

check your plugs. (SOB guys might have stolen them, u never know)

how about the coolant level, is it okay, is it clean lookin

EDIT* i just thought of somethin, if the car hasnt been run in 5 months, i assume every drop of oil is in the pan, i bet there is no oil on the pistons or walls. do you think it may be a good idea to take off the coil packs and pour a capful of motor oil just to provide a lil lubrication. the 1st start is gonna be a very very hard one....atleast 3 cranks im estimating.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Old Maxima Legend

the fuel filter is brand new, just put in a 300zx one , does this matter ? tb is clean but when you open up the butterfly it looks dirty, will get to cleaning that.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:29 AM

yeah, changing the oil would be the easiest...im 16...suck at mechanics...and have to get other ppl to do MOST stuff b4 me...but changing oil is one thing I can do very well.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:33 AM

What year is the 300zx filter that fits on our cars? (I have a 1995) Also, how much is it (approx)?
Old 02-13-2005, 09:08 AM

Are upi sure your really ceasars chariot and not someone using his account?

Proph
Old 02-13-2005, 09:32 AM

^ he's just double checking.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:32 AM

just add some oil bring it up to the normal level, and start her up.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:18 AM

well if the fuel filter and its brand new no need to change it. was just suggestion that if its been in there for a long time before you had it shipped over it might be a good idea
Old 02-13-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by hacim105
Pretty much like everyone else said. Just change the oil and you should be fine. Make sure you let the car run for like 20 minutes so everything can work again properly and then go take it for a drive.
Waiting 20 minutes is unnecessary. The oil is circulating throughout the engine within seconds of startup. 2-3 minutes is all that is necessary especially in warmer weather.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:43 PM

Like everyone already said put in new oil, and for your fuel put in some Fuel Reconditioner or something on those lines because the fuel in there has been sitting for too long.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Magikone69
after u get it running you might want to do the good ol seafoam treatment.

sitting like that and being at sea might of caused alot of moisture to build up in the engine and such, which might have caused a lil rust build up.

clean your tb out and spray into the intake manifold with the tb cleaner.

change fuel filter

check your plugs. (SOB guys might have stolen them, u never know)

how about the coolant level, is it okay, is it clean lookin

EDIT* i just thought of somethin, if the car hasnt been run in 5 months, i assume every drop of oil is in the pan, i bet there is no oil on the pistons or walls. do you think it may be a good idea to take off the coil packs and pour a capful of motor oil just to provide a lil lubrication. the 1st start is gonna be a very very hard one....atleast 3 cranks im estimating.
do not listen to the part where the guy says add a capful of motor oil. thats just plain stupid. the oil filter has a by pass that will allow the oil to get into the galleries when the engine is started. adding oil to the heads will most likely blow a gasket and blow black smoke out the tail pipe.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Old Maxima Legend

1. im missing this hose and clamps
2. im missing this hose and clamps
3. im missing this little piece also (is this from the maf sensor ?)
4. im pretty certain this hose is still there

What do you call these hoses marked 1.,2., and 3 ?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:37 PM

they are vacum hoses, you can get like 3 foot rolls at hope depot in the pluming section. and you can just get some hose clamps their also.

#3 looks like an intake temp sensor.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Old Maxima Legend

maybe im not missing #3, how many plugs go into the maf sensor ? 1 or 2 ? if i remember correctly it had a slim plastic piece that i stuck into the injen intake. im wondering if i have the plug but the plastic piece that stuck in the midpipe is gone ?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:47 PM

1 plug for the MAF, and 1 intake air temp sensor was in the stock air box. so 2 plugs before the throttlebody
Old 02-13-2005, 08:25 PM

3 looks like the intake air sensor
Old 02-13-2005, 10:26 PM

Are these serious questions? Most of them are common sense...
Old 02-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Old Maxima Legend

yeah, i push the pedal, turn the wheel, burn rubber that kinda stuff. just now leaving the dark side (paying nissan mechanics) ..

ok what i recall was a little plastic bit i put inside the injen intake, it appears i still have the air intake sensor but i dont see the piece that went into the injen intake to measure air or whatever. is this a separate piece i will need or what ?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:21 AM

yeah, i push the pedal, turn the wheel, burn rubber that kinda stuff. just now leaving the dark side (paying nissan mechanics) ..

ok what i recall was a little plastic bit i put inside the injen intake, it appears i still have the air intake sensor but i dont see the piece that went into the injen intake to measure air or whatever. is this a separate piece i will need or what ?
It's part of the MAF assembly. They definitely took it along with your old injen, so you'll just need to buy a new one. Once you have a MAF assembly, you can just plug the harness back in and it'll be fine.

It looks like the only thing you'll need to buy is:
Injen intake kit (comes with the larger 19" vacuum hose) if you want the same intake.
1 air intake temp sensor
MAF assembly - dunno if you can find a used one over there?
the other 10" vacuum hose
4 hose clamps.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:35 AM
3.5 in the works

In that last pic Ceasar, #3 is your air intake temp sensor (the MAF is the larger black assembly about where the white arrow is). #1 and 2 hoses are for positive crankcase ventilation IIRC... The temp sensor is a 3-piece assembly I think (again if I'm remembering right) ... sensor, connector, and rubber grommet that fits in a hole in the intake and holds the sensor in place. But from your first pic at the very top it looks like you only have the connector for the MAF sensor, I don't see the AIT sensor... (or at least it's not that visible in the pic)
Old 02-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Old Maxima Legend

hey i really appreciate all the help. im having to

1. get a list of things together of what i need to buy ( if i can find it cheap ) to get the car at least running.

2. making out a full list to give the insurance company of what i need/what was stolen.

again i appreciate the help.

here are some images below. these are the only connectors i see, i couldnt find anything else in the car. it appears that maybe all im needing is like dandy max said in post #30. ( rubber grommet that fits in the whole ?)

Old 02-14-2005, 03:51 PM

...here are some images below. these are the only connectors i see, i couldnt find anything else in the car. it appears that maybe all im needing is like dandy max said in post #30. ( rubber grommet that fits in the whole ?)
The rubber grommet that's on the intake piping for the intake temp sensor comes with the intake.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Old Maxima Legend

viscous so your grocery list of what i need still stands ?

Injen intake kit (comes with the larger 19" vacuum hose) if you want the same intake.
1 air intake temp sensor
MAF assembly - dunno if you can find a used one over there?
the other 10" vacuum hose
4 hose clamps.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 AM
3.5 in the works

I'm pretty sure the grommet doesn't come with the Injen... I seem to remember relocating mine from the stock plastic intake piping.

I'll take a look at my car at lunch today Ceasar to just do a comparison check.. my memory's fuzzy but now I'm wondering about the air pressure sensor (atmospheric)... I think it was relocated onto the MAF assembly as part of the Injen install... but I can't quite remember. You know which one I mean? On the stock intake it used to sit up near the front by the rad and I think it used to be mounted on the plastic piping.... do you have this still or did they rip it out too when they took the MAF?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
I'm pretty sure the grommet doesn't come with the Injen... I seem to remember relocating mine from the stock plastic intake piping.
He's right, it doesn't come with the injen. So you'll need to get one of those on top of everything else ceasar.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 AM
3.5 in the works

Ok I looked at my car. The pressure sensor is relocated on the MAF so make sure you have that one too. It's a grey connector... yellow inside (but looking at your pic above it looks like you may have this--it's kinda hard to see but it'd be to the left of the big white arrow and below the spigot for the crankcase hose you're missing. Other than that I'd concur with the list...

-Injen intake kit
-Hose that goes to the idle air control valve (the one that provides crankcase ventilation comes with the intake)
-Air intake temp sensor
-Grommet for sensor
-MAF assembly
-Hose clamps
Old 02-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Old Maxima Legend

viscous/dandymax man i appreciate your input, its really helped me out, and thanks to everyone else !!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
VQ Disciple

Good luck dude. Hope everything works out.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:16 AM
3.5 in the works

viscous/dandymax man i appreciate your input, its really helped me out, and thanks to everyone else !!
No problemo man, anytime. It's just too bad you have to deal with all of this.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Old Maxima Legend

anyone have pics of these items ?

-Air intake temp sensor
-Grommet for sensor