4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'95 Maxima Audio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Evo

'95 Maxima Audio Problem

Hi,

The other day my cd player kept giving me errors, and wouldnt play anything (i figured it was due to the cold, and i saw there was a little frost/water on the cd's when i took them out). Then after a while, i kept switchin back to CD and i heard a loud "tick" and the CD player started working again?! Anyway, when i shut the car off, the cd was still playing. A few hours later, i turned on the car, and the ENTIRE audio unit wouldnt work (CD/RADIO/TAPE). Even the display wouldnt show anything (so i assume its not getting power?).

Anywayz, is this fixable? or should i just start lookin for a new cd deck.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-13-2005, 11:06 AM
down with Bing

Never hurd of anything like that.... try checking the fuse box to see if you blew a fuse. I know that my cd player does not like the cold either. but all the ticking and stuff is wierd.... I also wanter if there is a short some ware the ticking could possibly be wires touching together and it finilly blew the fuse ..... i dont know thats just my 2 cents...
Old 02-13-2005, 11:20 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

try checking the audio and electronics forum.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that's not a good sign when you took the cd out of the player and there was frozen water on it

you might want to let the cd player warm up before putting anything back in there......then pick a new cd and try to play it and see if that works

the ticking you hear inside the player is the cd just spinning since the laser cannot get a read on it
Old 02-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Evo

just to answer Nismo. I did check the fuses, and none of them were broken. BTW, this was a couple days ago, so the cd player has def warmed up since then.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:49 AM

I have the same problem , occasionally. When it's cold out I sometimes get the "CD ERR" error and when i eject the CD it is covered with condensation. Sometimes i can wipe off the cd and it starts playing again, other times I just get the CD ERR code but everything else works [radio,cassette] What has worked for me in the past was taking some compressed air and blowing it in the slot. Other times that doesn't do shiat. It is the messed up BOSE system, it works when it wants to, alot of people on the ORG have the same problems, you can either keep dealing with it, replace the whole system [or head unit] or there was a write-up a while back that had to do with re-soldering certain things. Maybe someone has the link to the write-up.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Evo

thanks for the replies everyone.

I just tried to remove the plastic around the Audio Unit (with a flathead screwdriver)... but i felt like it was gonna snap. Is there anything locking it in place?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 AM

yes... there is before you go ripping up your dash you might want to look in the audio forums for write ups on how to remove the head unit. Because you need to remove the trim around your shifter and the clock and vents above. Then you will see the 4 screws holding the whole AC/heater/Radio in one big unit.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:52 PM

I think I can help you guys with this. My brother was telling me about a buddy of his that something similar happen with his. Here's the link. Hope it works. I only have display issues. Unfortunately I don't have a Cd. I have yet to try and repair my display of which hasn't worked for over 2 years.
http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/intro.html

Let me know how it turns out...
Old 02-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Evo

^Awsome, ill try it this weekend.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Man I have tried the infamous Bose Fix and still to this day no success, I tried just resoldering the resistor, didnt work, I later tried taking off the resistor and switching it witht he display resistor (since the display worked fine) still the CD Errr wasnt resolved.

I'm going to try once more tommorow, I think I may have accidentally switched the display and cd resistor twice, I'm going to try once tommorow and if it doesnt work then I'm so done with this unit.

also ebay has good unit for sale pretty cheap
Old 02-17-2005, 07:49 AM

My brother's buddy tried it and it worked. He's the one who wrote the instructions up. Unfortunately I don't think I have a Bose. What other brand could a 96 have?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:55 AM

Clarion, its what my 95 gxe has
Old 02-17-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Evo
just to answer Nismo. I did check the fuses, and none of them were broken. BTW, this was a couple days ago, so the cd player has def warmed up since then.
When you pull your head unit (which is what I'd recommend), check the fuse that is back there as well. One should be in the power line, close to the headunit.

If you still can't get it to power on, cut the wires and take the head unit out of the car. From there, hook it directly up to your battery and see if you can get it to power on that way.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 200KStrong
My brother's buddy tried it and it worked. He's the one who wrote the instructions up. Unfortunately I don't think I have a Bose. What other brand could a 96 have?

if its possible, ifyou could ask him what he recommends I do since I've already resoldered and swapped ( I think, hope I didnt mix up the resistors) the display with the CD resistor and still no luck, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
if its possible, ifyou could ask him what he recommends I do since I've already resoldered and swapped ( I think, hope I didnt mix up the resistors) the display with the CD resistor and still no luck, I'd greatly appreciate it.
My brother hasn't done the work, his buddy did. Check the link. You can probably email him from there. I have never met the guy nor do I know his name. But his radio is fixed.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chickan
Clarion, its what my 95 gxe has
Does anyone know of a fix for the display on this? I'm to the point of tearing it out and replacing it. I wonder if the Bose fix would work. I would imagine that the layout has to be similar.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 200KStrong
Does anyone know of a fix for the display on this? I'm to the point of tearing it out and replacing it. I wonder if the Bose fix would work. I would imagine that the layout has to be similar.

the same trick for fixing the CD Err would fixc the display, I've managed to get that to work before, when repairing the CD Err I soldered the display also and messed up my display, took it apart again did some re soldering and display came back. Asumming your resistor is still good that should fix your display. just solder along the rides of resistor and that should bring back your display if not you may need to apply a little bit of flux.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Evo

Chickan: Where exactly is the fuse behind the deck? i just took it out, and i didnt see anything. BTW, anyone have any tips for stripped screws... i just kinda messed one up. looks like its gonna be a ***** to take out
Old 02-20-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
the same trick for fixing the CD Err would fixc the display, I've managed to get that to work before, when repairing the CD Err I soldered the display also and messed up my display, took it apart again did some re soldering and display came back. Asumming your resistor is still good that should fix your display. just solder along the rides of resistor and that should bring back your display if not you may need to apply a little bit of flux.
Thanks, I'll give it a try! This is why I love maxima.org.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Evo

Interesting... i fixed my problem on monday simply by plugging my deck back in (didnt do the resistor fix), so i just figured there must have been a loose connection before. So i screwed everything back in, and started the car. Radio was working great. Then i parked it, shut it off, and turned it back on, just to make sure. But naturally, it stopped working again. No display or sound (like it wasnt getting power). So i took it out again, and unplugged then replugged everything back in, and it worked again. And it was working fine for 3 days, until this morning when it wasnt working (it was working when i shut it off yesterday).

Should i just scrap it, or is this fixable?