4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to install jwt ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 12:04 AM

how to install jwt ecu?

just got a 7200 jwt ecu and i dunno how to install /put it in. seems like its just plug and play but i dunno.....dont want to screw something up. so if could someone please let me know how to put that puppy in? and would i feel the gains right away or do i need to drive it around for a few hours/days/months/years before it starts working? maybe after a few # of starts? coo thanks!
Old 02-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Hooooooonda.....

You'll feel it right away. I'm sure the install info is in the stickies. Go there.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:22 AM

How to remove your ECU/PCM

Necessary tools:

*Phillips offset screwdriver
*Pliers
*10mm ratchet (any size drive)

1. Disconnect the negative terminal of your car battery.
2. Remove the plastic covers that protect the ECU; the driver-side cover is to the right of the accelerator. These are secured by two plastic screws and should pop right off.
3. Using a 10mm ratchet, remove the bolt on the passenger side that is securing all the cabling to the ECU
4. Once the bolt is removed, you can detach the cables from the ECU
5. There are four, round, Phillips-head screws that are securing the ECU to the mounting bracket. They can be found in each corner. Due to the close quarters, a standard screwdriver will not work here. Using an offset screwdriver (99 cents at Sears) and a pair of pliers, remove each screw (this step will consume the better part of an hour).
6. Slide the ECU out by pushing from the driver side to the passenger side.

~THT

is that it? and then do you just plug in the new ecu and seal it back up?
Old 02-20-2005, 12:50 AM

Yeah, all you have to do is plug it in. It's very simple. The hard part is getting to the screws since it is at such a bad angle.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should also reset the ecu after the install so everything is fresh and so it can learn your driving habits
Old 02-21-2005, 05:18 PM

ok i've figured out how to do it.....but i cant seem to get 2 of the bolts. theyre the ones hiding in the back (driver side and pass side). anyone have any tips or tricks how to get those two? maybe a special tool?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:00 PM

If you really work at it and trying squeezing that offset screwdriver in to get the two top screws, I don't think you need to remove those two bolts. The only bolt you really need to remove is the one on the passenger side holding the wiring harness to the ECU.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:02 PM

how much did you pay for it an where did you get the ecu?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:11 PM

you want me to do it PK? I have done my ecu in and out many many times...I use a "U" joint or universal joint coupled with my 1/4" drive rachet...I can get those 2...but it is a b***h...but I have a lot of experience now in swapping maxima ecu's...
Old 02-21-2005, 07:52 PM

You should really reset the ecu after u pluge it back in?>
Old 02-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
you want me to do it PK? I have done my ecu in and out many many times...I use a "U" joint or universal joint coupled with my 1/4" drive rachet...I can get those 2...but it is a b***h...but I have a lot of experience now in swapping maxima ecu's...

yea that would be awesome. i'm free almost all day tomorrow. hit me up. thanks.

and to answer hiphipmaxima......i got it off an org member (cumalot) for $550.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:10 PM

Hey, glad you got the ECU. You will definitely feel it right away. It will definitely put a smile on your face. I got to say it was one of the best mods I purchased. No regrets at all. Btw, not sure if you know this, but in order to feel the extended rev limiter, you need to manually shift the auto. If you just leave it in Drive, it will shift at the stock limiter. Also, best if you have a VI to get the full affect of the ECU. You will still feel the gain, but if you get the VI combined with the ECU...look out!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:34 PM

the way i got those two screws out were to take out the dash including the stereo deck and temperature controls, and from there you have a clear view
Old 02-21-2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cumalot
Hey, glad you got the ECU. You will definitely feel it right away. It will definitely put a smile on your face. I got to say it was one of the best mods I purchased. No regrets at all. Btw, not sure if you know this, but in order to feel the extended rev limiter, you need to manually shift the auto. If you just leave it in Drive, it will shift at the stock limiter. Also, best if you have a VI to get the full affect of the ECU. You will still feel the gain, but if you get the VI combined with the ECU...look out!
yea i received it a few days ago, thanks again. how do you manually shift an auto? and yea, ive got a VI
Old 02-21-2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by -=PK=-Maxima
how do you manually shift an auto?

Just put the shifter into 1st, then 2nd, and then Drive. You could test out your new rev limiter right away. You could just leave it in Park and rev it up all the way. You will noticed your fuel cut is now around 7300 rpm. I don't recommend doing that too often though. Have fun.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:07 PM

do you already have the VI in omeed?

oh btw...I just got your voicemail...as I type this, I am at work....anyway, I don't get off till 4:30 or so...then I have class at 5:30...I am free after class and any other day this week as I get off of work earlier everyother day this week...I will call you after class 2night and see what's up...since you work anyway till 9:30 right?...
Old 02-23-2005, 07:20 AM
bignutts

not too hard of a task

http://web.archive.org/web/200111021...eston/ecu.html

Old 02-23-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by maximazation
you should also reset the ecu after the install so everything is fresh and so it can learn your driving habits
That's not necessary.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cumalot
Remember back in the days when people didn't think the ECU did much?