4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vibration and Howling Noise in 5 speed SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 11:40 AM

I purchased a Nissan Certified 97 Maxima SE 5 speed about 5 weeks ago. The dealership was kind enough to let me have the car for a test ride overnight. Upon returning the car, I noticed when in traffic, the clutch would let out a medium pitched groan when I was stuck in traffic. Since I liked the car, I told the dealership I would take it as long as they either fixed the car or guaranteed me there was nothing wrong with it. Well, this Monday, I took it to the dealership because it not only has this groaning intermittently, it also has some chattering, or vibrating intermittently when I let the clutch out. It isn't really bad, nor does it do it all the time. But, it is annoying! I just spoke to my dealership and they just told me this is normal. I really find this VERY HARD to believe. Maybe in a cheap car, but never should it be like this in a Maxima. Have any of you had a similar experience? Is the dealership just trying to get out of fixing it? I am going to tell them today that if they don't know what it is, they should just replace the whole clutch. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!!!!!
Old 05-02-2001, 01:16 PM
ajaffee

I have a 97 GXE 5-speed. I'm not sure what the sound you're hearing is, but I'm pretty sure it's not normal. I have yet to hear anything like that in my car.

How many miles are on the car? Do you know if it is the original clutch?
I also hope you got them to sign something that says they will fix whatever is/was causing that noise. Otherwise they will try everthing to not fix it for free.

Old 05-02-2001, 01:17 PM

I also have a 97 SE 5spd. I also have a "groan" like you describe. I don't think it's the clutch, cause it doesn't change when engaging/disengaging the clutch. Does yours? I had a leak at the right axle seal, and after the dealer replaced it twice and still leaked, Nissan had them open the tranny to find bearings worn. They repaired at no cost. Also replaced clutch. I paid for clutch, but was a deal cause no labor. My clutch had the "chatter" or grabby thing mainly noticed from a standing start. Boy was the new clutch light. Amazing how you get used to slow degredation. But I don't know what my groan is, seems like an accessory. Sounds almost like hydraulics going thru a pressure relief. What is it?
Old 05-02-2001, 01:59 PM

Maxima Clutch Groan

Originally posted by lancems007
I purchased a Nissan Certified 97 Maxima SE 5 speed about 5 weeks ago. The dealership was kind enough to let me have the car for a test ride overnight. Upon returning the car, I noticed when in traffic, the clutch would let out a medium pitched groan when I was stuck in traffic. Since I liked the car, I told the dealership I would take it as long as they either fixed the car or guaranteed me there was nothing wrong with it. Well, this Monday, I took it to the dealership because it not only has this groaning intermittently, it also has some chattering, or vibrating intermittently when I let the clutch out. It isn't really bad, nor does it do it all the time. But, it is annoying! I just spoke to my dealership and they just told me this is normal. I really find this VERY HARD to believe. Maybe in a cheap car, but never should it be like this in a Maxima. Have any of you had a similar experience? Is the dealership just trying to get out of fixing it? I am going to tell them today that if they don't know what it is, they should just replace the whole clutch. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!!!!!
You have Maxima Clutch Groan. MCG is heard only when the clutch is engaging. It sounds somewhat like a cow mooing. A cow with a sore throat. MCG is an unlovely characteristic, but not a symptom of a defect.

My '99 GXE (25K miles, bought new, gently driven) has MCG and occasional chatter. I regard the clutch as a low point in an otherwise fine car. If this clutch ever wears out I will not replace it with Nissan factory parts.
Old 05-02-2001, 07:08 PM

Yep - that's the infamous Maxima Clutch Groan

It happens intermittently. The vibrating happens only under some conditions- cars cold, etc. Get a strut brace and the groan goes away -or moves to another frequency - if the vibration is excessive you could fix it by beating the $h%t out of the stock clutch and replace it with aftermarket.
Problems solved. Don't put anything OEM back on the car. It's expensive and not half as good as aftermarket stuff.
Other than those minor faults this is a beautiful car.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:19 AM

My clutch only does this when I engage it. It doesn't do it all the time either. It either chatters (vibrates slightly) or makes that moaning groaning kind of noise when I engage it. I just ****es me off because I have such an awesome car and it really degrades it by having this cheesy noise coming from it. How much am I looking at to have an aftermarket clutch installed?

Originally posted by Curt Deiner
I also have a 97 SE 5spd. I also have a "groan" like you describe. I don't think it's the clutch, cause it doesn't change when engaging/disengaging the clutch. Does yours? I had a leak at the right axle seal, and after the dealer replaced it twice and still leaked, Nissan had them open the tranny to find bearings worn. They repaired at no cost. Also replaced clutch. I paid for clutch, but was a deal cause no labor. My clutch had the "chatter" or grabby thing mainly noticed from a standing start. Boy was the new clutch light. Amazing how you get used to slow degredation. But I don't know what my groan is, seems like an accessory. Sounds almost like hydraulics going thru a pressure relief. What is it?
Old 05-03-2001, 05:22 AM

My clutch only does this when I engage it. It doesn't do it all the time either. It either chatters (vibrates slightly) or makes that moaning groaning kind of noise when I engage it. I just ****es me off because I have such an awesome car and it really degrades it by having this cheesy noise coming from it. How much am I looking at to have an aftermarket clutch installed?
$300-$600 depending on who does the work and which parts you choose.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:49 AM

What clutch would you recommend putting in there. I am not interested in changing the way the clutch feels. I want to keep a stock feeling in it. Wouldn't you think that a groaning and vibrating would mean there is something wrong with it. Shouldn't Nissan have a recall on something like this. If it doesn't do it all the time, that would mean something is causing it to happen, thus, a problem!

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
$300-$600 depending on who does the work and which parts you choose.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lancems007
[B]My clutch only does this when I engage it. It doesn't do it all the time either. It either chatters (vibrates slightly) or makes that moaning groaning kind of noise when I engage it. I just ****es me off because I have such an awesome car and it really degrades it by having this cheesy noise coming from it. How much am I looking at to have an aftermarket clutch installed?

I looked last night, and I paid $181 for a Nissan clutch, $210 total bill, but I didn't pay labor because the other tranny work was done under warranty. Don't forget your 5yr 60K power train. I saw no throw out bearing listed. Thought that would have been done too. Could this be the problem? My groaning goes away after hot. I would not buy a Nissan clutch again. Wished I had arranged for a Stillen clutch when I had the chance. My new clutch doesn't chatter or grab any more, just moans. You notice it's much louder from inside the car?
Old 05-03-2001, 06:07 AM

My car has 31,000 miles on it. Everything is original. I have owned many cars, including Jeeps, VW's, Acura's Chevy's, & Ford's. I have never had this problem with any of these cars. I just find it hard to believe that this would be considered "NORMAL" or "COMMON" in a car that has this good of a reputation. What gives?

Originally posted by ajaffee
I have a 97 GXE 5-speed. I'm not sure what the sound you're hearing is, but I'm pretty sure it's not normal. I have yet to hear anything like that in my car.

How many miles are on the car? Do you know if it is the original clutch?
I also hope you got them to sign something that says they will fix whatever is/was causing that noise. Otherwise they will try everthing to not fix it for free.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:04 AM

What clutch would you recommend putting in there?
I drive moderately, so I don't need a performance clutch. I certainly don't want another Nissan clutch. I will go with a name-brand replacement part.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:04 AM
ajaffee

My car has 31,000 miles on it. Everything is original. I have owned many cars, including Jeeps, VW's, Acura's Chevy's, & Ford's. I have never had this problem with any of these cars. I just find it hard to believe that this would be considered "NORMAL" or "COMMON" in a car that has this good of a reputation. What gives?

Hmmm. I specifically listened for this groan on the way to work this morning. Being near DC, there is invariably some stop-and-go traffic encountered no matter how early or late I leave home. I actually did hear a mild groan when backing out this morning -- when the car was cold. However, that is the only time I heard anything.
Given all the other replies to your post, I don't doubt this is common in 4th Gen Maximas. Who knows, maybe I got one of the few that doesn't groan too much. Or maybe the groan your car is making is much louder than normal, and it is a sign of a different problem all together.

I would suggest taking your car to a mechanic you trust (not the dealer) and letting him diagnose the problem. If you think that person is just blowing smoke, then take it to another mechanic and see if he comes up with the same diagnosis. Maybe they'll both tell you it's normal -- who knows.

Good luck.