4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thottle Body Cleaned - Amazing Results!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Thottle Body Cleaned - Amazing Results!

I know I might get flamed for starting this topic, but I am so amazed I don't really care. I went and bought some "Sea Foam - Deep Creep" and used it to clean my throttle body/butterfly valve thoroughly, using a rag and toothbrush. After I was done I went for a spin around the block and I was severely impressed! Just wanted to share this with you guys, especially you all that have been contemplating doing it, but have been too lazy, or whatever the reason may be. I really really recommend you do it, it made SUCH a difference. BTW, by the exit to my apt. complex there is a little bit of an incline - my auto used to roll back slightly, but now it lunges forward!!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:17 PM

why did it make a difference?
waht exactly did cleaning it with the seafoam do?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:18 PM

yeah its a good one to do, clean your IACV now if you havent. realy easy as well
Old 03-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how exactly do you clean the TB? do i need to remove it and what precautions should i take if i clean it ? i have a CAI installed on it, if that makes any difference. thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 05:12 PM

I just did mine with Deep Creap too. Worked very well.

I took the rubber flex hose off the throttle body, removed the top of the air filter canister and the black box between the air filter canister and the TB.

Basically take off everything after your throttle body. It takes 5 mins to do.

Then I sprayed some deep creap right into the throttle body. Let it sit there for 2 mins. Then I sprayed more on there and used a rag to clean everything off.

Then with the engine on I sprayed right into the throttle body. Then sprayed into the big vacuum hose at the rear of the engine from where I took off that big black box.

Sprayed 10 seconds on. 30 seconds off. for about 4 times.

Took the car out for an hour and it ran great. Very smooth. Very easy to do too
Old 03-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/517
Old 03-07-2005, 10:34 AM

Pardon the ness, but can someone take a picture of the IAC Valve, I'm not really sure where it's located or what it looks like. I believe it is near the throttle body, but that's not specific enough for me Thanks..
Old 03-07-2005, 03:02 PM

Is there a writeup on how to clean the IAC valve? If there is, please send a link. Thank You
Old 03-07-2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuickFast
Is there a writeup on how to clean the IAC valve? If there is, please send a link. Thank You
Here is the write-up, as can be found in the stickies - only problem is it doesn't specify the location for us (me) noobs...

How to clean IAC valve

Tools needed:
10 and 12 mm sockets
3 inch socket extension
universal joint (swivel pivot socket thing)
12-inch rachet (a short rachet may not work - need something to apply a lot of torque to loosen the bolts
Philip's screwdriver
rag
throttle body cleaner

1. Unplug the 4 connectors from the IAC assembly. Undo the hose that connects teh IAC to the intake assembly.

2. The metal bracket holding up the gray-colored connector is blocking one of the IAC mounting bolts. Using a 10mm socket, remove the bolt that holds the metal bracket. The bolt is just below the purple connector - you have to twist your head and crane your neck around to see the bolt.

3. Remove the 3 mounting bolts using the 12mm socket. The lowest bolt may require the Universal joint.

4. Pull out your IAC valve and clean it w/throttle body cleaner, rag, and old toothbrush.

You may even want to separate the plastic valve to clean it more thoroughly. Use a philip's head screwdriver, but make sure it is a snug fight. It's on there tight and if you don't have a good fitting screwdriver, you could ruin the screw head.

Reinstallation is just the reverse of these steps. It may be easier access to the IAC if you remove the whole air intake assembly, but it's not necessary.

How to adjust IACV -

Warm the engine up to operating temp.
Turn off the engine.
Disconnect the TPS.
Start the engine and adjust the idle speed using the stop screw on the throttle body to 650 RPM's.
Turn off the engine.
Reconnect the TPS and restart the engine.

If the IACV is working correctly your idle should be correct. If it's a bit low, try adjusting the screw on the IACV bypass to get your idle speed to ~700 in neutral with no load. (no load means no lights or A/C)
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's the only thing connected to the throttle body with electronic connections.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Got it, thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by MaDMvD
I know I might get flamed for starting this topic, but I am so amazed I don't really care. I went and bought some "Sea Foam - Deep Creep" and used it to clean my throttle body/butterfly valve thoroughly, using a rag and toothbrush. After I was done I went for a spin around the block and I was severely impressed! Just wanted to share this with you guys, especially you all that have been contemplating doing it, but have been too lazy, or whatever the reason may be. I really really recommend you do it, it made SUCH a difference. BTW, by the exit to my apt. complex there is a little bit of an incline - my auto used to roll back slightly, but now it lunges forward!!
The reason your car didn't roll back is probably because of a newlyfound high idle...your idle shoots up after cleaning the TB, and should be adjusted back to spec. Look in the faq's for the hot to, just my .02