4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finally joined! yay! 3 questions from a Nuebie!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Luvs2speed

Finally joined! yay! 3 questions from a Nuebie!

I just wanna first say that I'm so happy I finally joined....all the advice from all the great people on this org has educated me so well...i've been able to do so many DIY's installs...anyway...

1st...is there a microfilter for our 95-99(4th gen.) Maximas?

2nd...Ive read all the stickys...but still looking for more brake info...that group deal looks pretty good...I was thinking of purchasing the brembo-crossdrilled/slotted rotors and matching them with Axxis ultimates...I think this would be a killer combo for street driving....please people who know there brakes, give me your input and advice!..I would appreciate this greatly!..also why do people say that cross drilled rotors are more proned to cracking or warping...I dont understand this-most expensive high end cars come with cross drilled rotors(M3's, porsche, etc..)...I thought cross drilled was BETTER?..please excuse my ignorance if I am wrong

3rd... my max is very well mainteained...most of the general maintenance has been done to the engine by myself...but something I cant diagnose....at low rpms, idling or very low speeds, when the car is cold or hot...theres this noise coming from the engine...kind of like a rattle-sometimes loud and fast and sometimes slow and soft..but very disturbing...almost sounds like a rattling muffler but its comming right from the engine....but only from 800 to 2000 rpm...then it stops!...only makes the noise 800-200 rpms....anybody know what this is??.....I know nothing about timing chains..I read somewhere where this sounds like it may be a possibility...oh and the only CEL code that I have is a knock sensor...there 89,000 miles on my car....both city and highway driving...thanks so much in advance guys!!

Old 03-09-2005, 08:15 PM

Welcome to the .org

1 - Yes, we have in-cabin microfilters. http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/2002MaxSE/In-Cabin%20Microfilter%20Change.htm

2 - I am actually getting that exact same combo: Brembo Cross-drilled/Slotted with Axxis Ultimates, I hear that is one of the best setups. Not sure if they warp more easily though..

3 - Not sure about that noise. Knock sensor replacement help is in the stickies.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Luvs2speed

thank you bro for the wonderful input!....damn I love this org ....yeah I think that brake combo is gonna be bad ***....by the way madmvd-I LOVE that quote-never been more true

Old 03-09-2005, 08:32 PM

i believe the microfilters weren't put in 4th gens. i may be wrong though.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Luvs2speed
thank you bro for the wonderful input!....damn I love this org ....yeah I think that brake combo is gonna be bad ***....by the way madmvd-I LOVE that quote-never been more true
No problem, man. That's what we're here for! Good luck with the Max.. You can always count on my newbie help, just PM me if you have anything to ask.

P.S. - Yeah, my quote is pretty true, I must say. I came up with that though while...nevermind. But take girls, for example. Many can be quite the eyeful, but open them up and you'll think otherwise...HAHAHAHA.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Luvs2speed

MaDMvD....your a smart **** bro....ive been through 100's of girls and most of them are worthless, after a while it starts to get rediculous...Im actually very fortunate to have found the right girl for me...but most good looking chicks are UgLy inside...its ashame but thats how it is...... ??-that website is for a 2002 max...u still sure we have an incabin filter

Old 03-09-2005, 09:02 PM

that website is for a 2002 max...u still sure we have an incabin filter
Oops, I guess I'm not that smart Hmm, but why would that be in the 4th Gen stickies then? Weird...
Old 03-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Luvs2speed

hey maxmvd....you gonna put on your brakes yourself or have someone do it?....... ive never done anything brake related...eek....I was hoping to maybe do it myself and save some $$$....what do ya think ?

ps...yeah I guess the filter is up for debate :-)

Old 03-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

definitely do your own brake work

its very easy....i've done all new calipers, rotors, SS lines, pads, fluid
Old 03-09-2005, 10:42 PM

I have brembo rotors w/ Akeboro pads. Love the brembo rotors. And I have also heard that the brembo/axxis setup is as good as it gets. Btw, you can definitely install the brakes & pads yourself.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Luvs2speed

thanks A Flood99 and AllMaxxedOut....I appreciate the input and now im confident that with the help of the stickies I can do my brakes myself....sweeeeet...here comes brembos! . .

......anyone have any ideas about my rattling at idle and <2000 rpm ?

Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
dot dot dot ...

No 4th gen has an in cabin microfilter, AFAiK it's in the 02+. When you say the "only" code you have is the KS code, as far as performance is concerned, this is the most significant, the stickys are your friend. Brake work is easy, once the wheel comes off, then it becomes very simple. Could be the timing chain tensioner that's causing your low rpm rattle, hard to get to, but as I said before, stickys are your friends, get to know them REAL well. I've done well with cheap OEM brakes since I've owned the car, most "performance" pads do not work as well when not under load/heat. So when cold, unless you drive like an idiot in traffic or do some autocrossing, you wont really see the benefits of the those pads, the rotors will look good though. As far as the rotor issue, it's debateable, and probably always will be. Through most if not all tests that have been performed on passenger cars, the outcome usually points to hard usage and keeping the temperature elevated for them to really shine.

Sidenote: Buy a Haynes, Chilton, or if you have a little extra cash, get a factory service manual (FSM) these help out quite a bit.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:52 AM

MaDMvD.......Im actually very fortunate to have found the right girl for me...but most good looking chicks are UgLy inside...
thaTS Y U only look at chicks with one eye
get it? ...get it??
Old 03-10-2005, 04:34 AM

hey maxmvd....you gonna put on your brakes yourself or have someone do it?....... ive never done anything brake related...eek....I was hoping to maybe do it myself and save some $$$....what do ya think ?

ps...yeah I guess the filter is up for debate :-)
I need to get a Haynes or something before I try my own brake work. I haven't bought everything yet, but I REALLY need to get on it cause I have, I'd say, less than 1/8" of pads left on the front. The car barely stops at high speeds!

Originally Posted by dayglo
thaTS Y U only look at chicks with one eye
get it? ...get it??
HAHA, yes!