4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Roadkill: Mercedes SL500

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 01:50 AM

I was driving back with Kaleb as my passenger from the meet in Las Colinas. As we were driving up Central Expressway, the road was very open up ahead of us. I noted to Kaleb that it is always when the conditions are right, you never have someone to race. I just said to myself, "to hell with it" and puched. I pushed up to around 100 and then lifted. As I passed the onramp on my right, a can with HID lamps was getting on the freeway. He must have eyed me because he started to catch up with me as I slowed down. At 75 mph, he was gaining on me, so it looked like a race. It was a Mercedes hardtop/convertible. As he rolled up side me I punched. I let of for an instant to make sure he was running and he was. I pulled a car length on him from 70-90 before he gave up and let off(I only needed 3rd gear). I slowed down to see what kind of Mercedes it was. After checking the rear flank, it was an SL500. After a quick check in the magazines, it has a 5.0L DOHC V8 with 322 hp and runs 14.4 @ 100.4(source Motor Trend 8/91). Kaleb and I were laughing about how ****ed off he must have been in his $80K+ sports coupe/convertible. I now need an SL600 to roadkill
Old 05-06-2001, 06:02 AM
Administrator

that wasnt even fair for him loren
Old 05-06-2001, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would rather have a SL500 and get as you put it "roadkilled" by a maxima than drive a maxima.

You can call it a roadkill all you want. It doesn't mean it is. What are you 18?
Old 05-06-2001, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Rutnick
I would rather have a SL500 and get as you put it "roadkilled" by a maxima than drive a maxima.

You can call it a roadkill all you want. It doesn't mean it is. What are you 18?

newbie...
Old 05-06-2001, 08:00 AM

[B]I would rather have a SL500 and get as you put it "roadkilled" by a maxima than drive a maxima.
/B]

Great idea... then you could sell the _tank_ named SL500 and buy *two* Maxima's, supercharge them both, do the intake, exhaust, suspensions, and still have a little money left over for a nice little vacation down to the islands.

Bob
Old 05-06-2001, 08:14 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by sx7r

newbie...
Gotta love em........
Old 05-06-2001, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Lets see a Stock SL500

or

A Supercharged Maxima w/

Skyline Brakes
Smaller Pulley
Bodykit
Rims
over 300 hp
the ultimate sleeper
and more goodies

A car capable of mid 12's

I dunno.. i think i would have to take the Maxima

Old 05-06-2001, 09:25 AM
MaxedOut97SE

C'mon people we're talking about an "$80K+ sports coupe/convertible" Mercedes-Benz here. It is a completely different kind of (not to mention better) car. Don't get me wrong, I have Maxima love, but you get what you pay for.
Also, race him light to light and tell me what happens, and I refuse to believe you beat him on the interstate. He probably wasn't pushing it. Now I know our cars have a great 3rd gear, but the SL 500 is one fast Mercedes Benz. Keep in mind those are designed for crusing 140+ on the autobahn. Oh and don't even think you'll be beating the 600. Let's see, 6.0L, 389HP, 420lb/ft torque. That's a 200 plus advantage in both HP and torque! A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of driving a '97 S600 sedan with that same engine and I can't even begin to tell you how effortlessly fast that car was. It was ridiculous how fast that car would hit 130.

Old 05-06-2001, 09:34 AM
Administrator

did you just read my post where i said Loren's car is capable of low to mid 12's with is Mods?

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
C'mon people we're talking about an "$80K+ sports coupe/convertible" Mercedes-Benz here. It is a completely different kind of (not to mention better) car. Don't get me wrong, I have Maxima love, but you get what you pay for.
Also, race him light to light and tell me what happens, and I refuse to believe you beat him on the interstate. He probably wasn't pushing it. Now I know our cars have a great 3rd gear, but the SL 500 is one fast Mercedes Benz. Keep in mind those are designed for crusing 140+ on the autobahn. Oh and don't even think you'll be beating the 600. Let's see, 6.0L, 389HP, 420lb/ft torque. That's a 200 plus advantage in both HP and torque! A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of driving a '97 S600 sedan with that same engine and I can't even begin to tell you how effortlessly fast that car was. It was ridiculous how fast that car would hit 130.
Old 05-06-2001, 09:38 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally posted by SprintMax
did you just read my post where i said Loren's car is capable of low to mid 12's with is Mods?

You didn't say that was his car. And still I'd rather take the benz.

Old 05-06-2001, 09:41 AM
Administrator

well i guess now you know...

i dunno.. until MB makes a car other than the SLK with Manual Transmission.. i would still take the Maxima..

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE

You didn't say that was his car. And still I'd rather take the benz.
Old 05-06-2001, 09:51 AM
MaxedOut97SE

well i guess now you know...

i dunno.. until MB makes a car other than the SLK with Manual Transmission.. i would still take the Maxima..

I agree with you on the manual tranny thing, but comparing a Mercedes-Benz of that calibur to our cars is like comparing a Maxima to a Metro.

Old 05-06-2001, 10:18 AM

I would have to go with the 80K+ Maxima, let's see
custom turbo
ported and polished
inatke
exhaust
pulleys
wheels
body kit
TV's
Playstation 2
Porsche Ocean Blue Paint job
skyline breaks
Skyline headlights
Skyline Tailights
Hell Skyline seats'
or now that I think about it why not just buy a
Skyline R34 V-Spec
Old 05-06-2001, 11:11 AM

newbie...
If only half of the newbies knew what's up.

Sprnt: Let it go, half of the people here dont know whats going on. They havent been here as long as some of us have.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:24 AM

newbie...
Far from it. I was here over a year ago. This site died and I went to the next one. When this site came back and I had time, I came back. Just because I don't post every single day or post some ridiculous roadkill story does it mean that I am a newbie.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:28 AM
Administrator

no synki i won't let it go

how is the story ridicoulous?

the car is much faster than the benz..

second... this site was not live a year ago..

Far from it. I was here over a year ago. This site died and I went to the next one. When this site came back and I had time, I came back. Just because I don't post every single day or post some ridiculous roadkill story does it mean that I am a newbie.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:34 AM

This site has been around since Sept or so in 2000. So its been short a year. hehe. I was around back when Evans was up. This was back in 96 or so. Damn i am old.

He only mentioned "Newbie" because of the comment you mad earlier. You do know that loren is s/ced and has a huge amount of mods. So it is very possible. We are talking about a car that can run 12 seconds. You may have not of known that and that is why the term Newbie was used.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:35 AM

Lets see a Stock SL500

or

A Supercharged Maxima w/

Skyline Brakes
Smaller Pulley
Bodykit
Rims
over 300 hp
the ultimate sleeper
and more goodies

A car capable of mid 12's

I dunno.. i think i would have to take the Maxima

That's fine. If I had the $, I would rather have the Benz. Like Daniel B said his neighbor said, "BMW gets girls. MB gets women. Maxima gets dirty." Don't get me wrong. The maxima is a great car but it isn't a benz. I wouldn't care if some kid thought their maxima was faster. It wouldn't be the point of me owning the benz.

I also disagree with the "ultimate sleeper" logo. I remember this car in my hometown that looked like it was worth $800. It did 12s. That is a sleeper. It was an old nova. It was rusty. It was dirty. It had primer, rust, and maybe some paint.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:40 AM
Administrator

I really don't give a **** if you like MB's over Maxima's incase you didn't notice .. this is a Maxima site.. you know what that means.. we don't own MB's we own Maxima's.. now if you want to call bullsh!t on someone's kill and say you would rather have the other car.. that negative commentary is not going to be accepted.. if you really want the MB so much.. take your maxima and use it as a downpayment on a MB.. for now you ither say Nice Kill, don't say anything or shut the f*ck up..

don't put someone's car down.. you don't have anything nice to say .. don't say it

That's fine. If I had the $, I would rather have the Benz. Like Daniel B said his neighbor said, "BMW gets girls. MB gets women. Maxima gets dirty." Don't get me wrong. The maxima is a great car but it isn't a benz. I wouldn't care if some kid thought their maxima was faster. It wouldn't be the point of me owning the benz.

I also disagree with the "ultimate sleeper" logo. I remember this car in my hometown that looked like it was worth $800. It did 12s. That is a sleeper. It was an old nova. It was rusty. It was dirty. It had primer, rust, and maybe some paint.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:40 AM

Guess you don't go that far back eh? I remember maxima.org from jan of 2k. Why? Because I bought my max in dec of 99. You don't go that far back? You don't remember Maxima Community forum? You don't remember Thurznite's board? How about when Russ had one?
Old 05-06-2001, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I guess you don't remember Peels board.. because as i said .. this board was not here a year ago.. it was run off peels server.. http://www.thepeel.com/maxima/forums

Guess you don't go that far back eh? I remember maxima.org from jan of 2k. Why? Because I bought my max in dec of 99. You don't go that far back? You don't remember Maxima Community forum? You don't remember Thurznite's board? How about when Russ had one?
Old 05-06-2001, 11:43 AM

The term sleeper means a car that looks somewhat stock that actually has a lot of mods. Not a muscle car that is just old and rusted. Also in my opinion anytime a nother car gets smoked it's a roadkill. It's not demeaning the other car just a way of saying it got beat.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:44 AM

Good shot Sprintmax, I could not agree with you more!
Old 05-06-2001, 11:53 AM

Nm all these.. how about Evan's Maxima board? THat was around back in 96 when i was first into Maximas. Who was there for that? I know i was. 5 years later im still here.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:54 AM

I guess you don't remember Peels board.. because as i said .. this board was not here a year ago.. it was run off peels server.. http://www.thepeel.com/maxima/forums

The look of it is about the same and some of the same info was brought over from it. Yes, I remember peel's board. I still have it bookmarked.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:02 PM

I really don't give a **** if you like MB's over Maxima's incase you didn't notice .. this is a Maxima site.. you know what that means.. we don't own MB's we own Maxima's.. now if you want to call bullsh!t on someone's kill and say you would rather have the other car.. that negative commentary is not going to be accepted.. if you really want the MB so much.. take your maxima and use it as a downpayment on a MB.. for now you ither say Nice Kill, don't say anything or shut the f*ck up..

don't put someone's car down.. you don't have anything nice to say .. don't say it

Did I say his car was crap? Nope. Did I question the kill? yes. Could he really roadkill that car? Dunno. Is racing on public roads ignorant? In my opinion yes. I will shove it right back in your face. If you don't have anything nice to say to me, then don't say it. I don't feel that I deserved your comments or your rather rude behavior. If you want to be treated like a man, then act like one. If I make a statement that I would rather have a benz (meaning that I would have the $ to buy one), then that is my own opinion. I do own a maxima and I do like it. I also think you need to take a breather and go read that post you just wrote to me and go reflect on it.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Loren00Miata
I was driving back with Kaleb as my passenger from the meet in Las Colinas. As we were driving up Central Expressway, the road was very open up ahead of us. I noted to Kaleb that it is always when the conditions are right, you never have someone to race. I just said to myself, "to hell with it" and puched. I pushed up to around 100 and then lifted. As I passed the onramp on my right, a can with HID lamps was getting on the freeway. He must have eyed me because he started to catch up with me as I slowed down. At 75 mph, he was gaining on me, so it looked like a race. It was a Mercedes hardtop/convertible. As he rolled up side me I punched. I let of for an instant to make sure he was running and he was. I pulled a car length on him from 70-90 before he gave up and let off(I only needed 3rd gear). I slowed down to see what kind of Mercedes it was. After checking the rear flank, it was an SL500. After a quick check in the magazines, it has a 5.0L DOHC V8 with 322 hp and runs 14.4 @ 100.4(source Motor Trend 8/91). Kaleb and I were laughing about how ****ed off he must have been in his $80K+ sports coupe/convertible. I now need an SL600 to roadkill

What do you have done to your Maxima. Because if you dont have a S/C i dont believe you. Even with a S/C a 500 Benz will be a great match on the highway for a Maxima. If you only raced him up to 90 the Benz was only warming up. Race him to 130 or so and you will be reading SL500 badges.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:11 PM

What do you have done to your Maxima. Because if you dont have a S/C i dont believe you. Even with a S/C a 500 Benz will be a great match on the highway for a Maxima. If you only raced him up to 90 the Benz was only warming up. Race him to 130 or so and you will be reading SL500 badges.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:24 PM
Administrator

I did read my post.. and you know what.. i am going to take your advice and my advice.. i am just not going to say anything more because i don't have anything nice to say to you

Did I say his car was crap? Nope. Did I question the kill? yes. Could he really roadkill that car? Dunno. Is racing on public roads ignorant? In my opinion yes. I will shove it right back in your face. If you don't have anything nice to say to me, then don't say it. I don't feel that I deserved your comments or your rather rude behavior. If you want to be treated like a man, then act like one. If I make a statement that I would rather have a benz (meaning that I would have the $ to buy one), then that is my own opinion. I do own a maxima and I do like it. I also think you need to take a breather and go read that post you just wrote to me and go reflect on it.
Old 05-06-2001, 01:09 PM

I did read my post.. and you know what.. i am going to take your advice and my advice.. i am just not going to say anything more because i don't have anything nice to say to you

Then don't. I won't tolerate comments like what you made.
Old 05-06-2001, 01:22 PM

if u dont think loren's max is a sleeper....

what is then?
i dont consider a nova a sleeper, aren't those old school muscle cars? at least some are..

i see like this a 4 door modded six cylinder, made a 80k+ car look like 10k+ kia.

i'd take the max anyday..

sprint: lol..dam i forgot all about peel's site..memories..

if i were to pay 80k for a car..it better be running below 13s...
Old 05-06-2001, 02:49 PM

*raises hand* I was there.. =)

ZuM

Originally posted by Synki
Nm all these.. how about Evan's Maxima board? THat was around back in 96 when i was first into Maximas. Who was there for that? I know i was. 5 years later im still here.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:27 PM

First, I do agree with a lot of the comments that the SL500 was not in my class. I have more power and a 700+ lb weight advantage over him. I expect to take this kind of car. I was very shocked to have this type of car come up to race me. How often do you ever see a Mercedes that wants to race? He was probably looking at me and just thinking, 'I'll show him something.' He had no idea what he was getting in for. If I had 5 people in the car and 2 full beer kegs in the trunk, it would have been a lot more even. I was hoping it would have been an SL600, since it would have been closer to my power/weight.

BTW Rutnick since you are new to our BBS, I have the first Stillen SC kit that I got back in November 1998. There has been a lot of additions and tuning since then. I dynoed 284 hp and 262 lb-ft at the wheels before my latest mods. A stock 4th gen will dyno about 162 hp by comparison. As far the racing on the highway goes, I own my cars because I like to drive. They are not just transportation from A to B. If you don't want to hear about Maximas and Maxima roadkills, then you are definitely in the wrong place.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First, I do agree with a lot of the comments that the SL500 was not in my class. I have more power and a 700+ lb weight advantage over him. I expect to take this kind of car. I was very shocked to have this type of car come up to race me. How often do you ever see a Mercedes that wants to race? He was probably looking at me and just thinking, 'I'll show him something.' He had no idea what he was getting in for. If I had 5 people in the car and 2 full beer kegs in the trunk, it would have been a lot more even. I was hoping it would have been an SL600, since it would have been closer to my power/weight.

BTW Rutnick since you are new to our BBS, I have the first Stillen SC kit that I got back in November 1998. There has been a lot of additions and tuning since then. I dynoed 284 hp and 262 lb-ft at the wheels before my latest mods. A stock 4th gen will dyno about 162 hp by comparison. As far the racing on the highway goes, I own my cars because I like to drive. They are not just transportation from A to B. If you don't want to hear about Maximas and Maxima roadkills, then you are definitely in the wrong place.

Have you ever ran your car in the 1/4 mile? Times? Thanks BTW nice car and nice kill!
Old 05-06-2001, 05:54 PM

I remember your mods from when I was on the same boards as you before. I also know what a stock maxima dynos. It's fine by me if you want to race on the highway but you are taking a big big chance. I really wouldn't want to read about you buying the big one because you raced on the highway instead of the track. It would be even worse if it involved someone just driving along. As far a roadkill, do you even know if he was racing?
Old 05-06-2001, 05:54 PM

How much hp does that equate to at the Crank. I love hearing about Maxima roadkills, but i have driven plenty of Benzs and know that highway speeds are there forte. A 500 SL would give you a run for your money at the speeds you raced. BTW is you Maxima auto or 5 speed?? Maybe the driver wasnt hitting the kickdown switch. I have let my friends drive my moms E class and my dads old 740iL and they didnt know how to drive it at first. They said this car is slow. Then i told them that they werent flooring it all the way and to press the kickdown switch. They shut there mouths after that. Anyways a victory is a victory, nice roadkill!
Old 05-06-2001, 06:47 PM

Kick down switch? No kick down switch.. The SL wasn't going to win. Loren has a 5-speed. And those dyno numbers that Loren had were old. 280+hp to the wheels is about what a stock SL500 would put down. If even that much. He has more mods now. And much less weight. The benz is auto so give 5-10% more powerloss. The benz wasn't going to win either way. Its like me racing stock integra LSes. They just shouldn't win.

ZuM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

How much hp does that equate to at the Crank. I love hearing about Maxima roadkills, but i have driven plenty of Benzs and know that highway speeds are there forte. A 500 SL would give you a run for your money at the speeds you raced. BTW is you Maxima auto or 5 speed?? Maybe the driver wasnt hitting the kickdown switch. I have let my friends drive my moms E class and my dads old 740iL and they didnt know how to drive it at first. They said this car is slow. Then i told them that they werent flooring it all the way and to press the kickdown switch. They shut there mouths after that. Anyways a victory is a victory, nice roadkill!
Old 05-06-2001, 06:52 PM

I had a new SL500 that wanted to race me like a month ago...
didn't even bother because I have like 150 hp on wheels
Old 05-06-2001, 07:08 PM

Mercedes = tank for old fogies

Don't make me repeat myself !

Have you ever driven one of these boulevard cruisers ? It's about as exciting as driving a Taurus. Sure, it's luxurious, cost a bundle, and will impress all the goofs down at the middle class country club. It's still a tank. Yea, its got a big motor and will probably even turn a couple of numbers on the skidpad... you won't find anyone driving one who knows what a skidpad is. Folks driving these know how to press the gas and watch it go up over a hundred for a few feet.

"BMW's get the girls. MB's get the women" ? Where'd you learn that, Junior High ? Girls who go out with men for their cars are still in high school.

Bob
Old 05-06-2001, 07:36 PM

Re: Mercedes = tank for old fogies

Originally posted by BobMax
Don't make me repeat myself !

Bob
Or what?

That saying came from Daniel B Martin's neighbor. Say whatever you will about that Benz. I still would take it. You don't think that there are mods for that car too?

Quick Reply: Roadkill: Mercedes SL500