4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Roadkill: Mercedes SL500

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 09:03 PM

Re: Mercedes = tank for old fogies

Originally posted by BobMax
Don't make me repeat myself !

Have you ever driven one of these boulevard cruisers ? It's about as exciting as driving a Taurus. Sure, it's luxurious, cost a bundle, and will impress all the goofs down at the middle class country club. It's still a tank. Yea, its got a big motor and will probably even turn a couple of numbers on the skidpad... you won't find anyone driving one who knows what a skidpad is. Folks driving these know how to press the gas and watch it go up over a hundred for a few feet.

"BMW's get the girls. MB's get the women" ? Where'd you learn that, Junior High ? Girls who go out with men for their cars are still in high school.

Bob
All MBs are tanks for old fogies, or just the SL? I personally don't think the CLK430 AMG and E55 AMG are too shabby.
Old 05-06-2001, 09:58 PM

I sure hope everyone knows that Lorens car is a very low 13 sec car. I highly doubt this Benz was running these times. Stock the are still 14's i believe. They are not the V12's, only V8's. All these power figures are nothing but manufacture ratings. Dyno them and they will have a 20-25% loss then rated if not more.
Old 05-06-2001, 10:07 PM

Re: Mercedes = tank for old fogies

Don't make me repeat myself !

Have you ever driven one of these boulevard cruisers ? It's about as exciting as driving a Taurus. Sure, it's luxurious, cost a bundle, and will impress all the goofs down at the middle class country club. It's still a tank. Yea, its got a big motor and will probably even turn a couple of numbers on the skidpad... you won't find anyone driving one who knows what a skidpad is. Folks driving these know how to press the gas and watch it go up over a hundred for a few feet.

"BMW's get the girls. MB's get the women" ? Where'd you learn that, Junior High ? Girls who go out with men for their cars are still in high school.

Bob
SLK AMG 3.2, E55, S55, ML55, and C32 are old foggies cars come on. These cars would hang with pretty much any maxima on this board. I would take any Benz excluding the c240 or slk230. I am 20 years old and would be proud to be driving a Benz. They handle fairly well and are built rock solid. Driving a benz at triple digit speeds take no concentration, unlike my maxima
Old 05-06-2001, 10:57 PM

Re: Re: Mercedes = tank for old fogies

SprintMax I agree with you 100% Im sick of people questioning everyones kills without even knowing anything about their cars. Also I cant remember the name of the guy but if you are such a huge MB fan go find an MB forum. And why hang around the Maxima forum and bash Max's? Just curious.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:03 PM

i think ill take the SL...over max haha

but good race.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:51 AM
is invisible

People are funny...

1. Who cares who was here first...what difference does it make? There's always someone before you anyways...so don't flatter yourself.

2. I'll take a Benz over a Max anyday.

Nice kill, Loren.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:21 AM
The missing moderator

Re: People are funny...

Originally posted by CoolMax
1. Who cares who was here first...what difference does it make? There's proabbly someone befoer you anyways...so don't flatter yourself.

1. I'll take a Benz over a Max anyday.

Nice kill, Loren.
What's even funnier is when numbers are posted, oh like 280+ hp at the wheels... people still doubt. Like I've said before... around here, opinions matter more than facts.

As for the Benz over Max thing... can I have an M5 instead?

-Shing
Old 05-07-2001, 08:44 AM

Benz's are made out of Parts that BMW decided to throw out...

Grrrrrrrr...... all that know me, know where i stand with newbies, Mercedes, and other pointless things.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:01 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Man Loren

I bet you didnt figure on this much s*** over a roadkill......
Old 05-07-2001, 11:06 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Man Loren

I bet you didnt figure on this much s*** over a roadkill......
Old 05-07-2001, 12:29 PM

I think we need to start a poll
Old 05-07-2001, 12:41 PM
MaxedOut97SE

People, we're not saying that Maxima's are pieces of sh*t! It's just that an 80,000 Mercedes-Benz is a better car. And MB's are not tanks, the new S600 does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. That's fast. Now I love Maxima's, don't get me wrong, but it's the Germans that invented the driving dynamics that most cars (including ours)try so hard to duplicate but just can't.

Old 05-07-2001, 01:20 PM

First I'd like to say good kill. I wish my max was s\c'ed. But all I have to say is whoever would want a max over a benz like that should stop sniffing that glue before they destroy all their brain cells. I love my max too but come on.
Old 05-07-2001, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I am sorry.. i don't drive automatics...

and the only stick shift that MB makes is the Gay SLK

Originally posted by 98maxse
First I'd like to say good kill. I wish my max was s\c'ed. But all I have to say is whoever would want a max over a benz like that should stop sniffing that glue before they destroy all their brain cells. I love my max too but come on.
Old 05-07-2001, 03:39 PM

1.)Nice kill Loren
2.)SprintMax, auto hater!!
3.)If you don't want to read about roadkills, then don't open the thread. It had ROADKILL in the title. If you are going to question someones car/roadkill, then PM them. If you don't it causes 4 page long diatribes that end up hurting everyones feelings.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:20 PM

wow 54 replies and growing!!! this is the longest thread i have seen..BECAUSE IM A NEWBIE! well i have to put my 2 cents in. First i wish i had a supercharger, 2nd nice run for loren, 3rd i would like to have the benz but if people saw a young ***** like me driving it, they would probably have the thing smashed key and pis*ed on :-) lol.(PEOPL ARE A**holez!!) (some) Ill stick with my MaX. when i grow old and can barly walk maybe it will be time for the benz or a ViPeR! oh well just wanted to make the thread grow!!!!! oh yeah i got smacked like a bi*ch by a Dodge Ram he left me in smoke holding my ballzz hahhaha..i thought i had a chance!
:-)
Old 05-07-2001, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

What do you have done to your Maxima. Because if you dont have a S/C i dont believe you. Even with a S/C a 500 Benz will be a great match on the highway for a Maxima. If you only raced him up to 90 the Benz was only warming up. Race him to 130 or so and you will be reading SL500 badges.

Hehe.....where do these guys come from? Too many newbies here to know who's who....

Running faster than that MB isn't a hard thing to do. I doubt he would have had trouble even if he didn't have a Supercharger.

Even the 600 isn't a hard one to beat. I'd rather have either one of those MB's over a Maxima, any day of the week, and I don't think Loren was trying to downplay the Mercedes, just letting us know the MB was killed.

I don't have a supercharger, and I would have killed him too........but I digress.....
Old 05-07-2001, 05:55 PM

my father owns a 1991 SL500 , i have a 98 maxima SE 5spd , the maxima may feel faster because it is a lighter car, but then again is it a 2 door convertible with an over head cam v8 ? no i think not, i love my max , ive had two and im only 19 , but nothing compares to driving that car , it corners like a dream stops like hmmm, well a german car, and accelerates like you would not believe , and it still has a dry weight of 4100lbs you tell me that your maxima can beat it , ok maybe it can but is your maxima governed to 155 , if u took that governor off would your maxima run 170mph ???? would it feel like driving a benz ie: punch it and the only thing you feel is the air rushing over your head as the scenery blurrs and that needle stretches to 140 - 150 then slows as the computer takes over at 155?, what it comes down to is both cars are in a different category the maxima is currently nissans flagship the SL600 is one of mercedes flagships. both cars are nice but their is no comparison
Old 05-07-2001, 06:06 PM

damn 170....can either car do that?!?!?! thats like viper speed!!! i think everyone is carried away........its not nascar!! its just maxima lovers
Old 05-07-2001, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
damn 170....can either car do that?!?!?! thats like viper speed!!! i think everyone is carried away........its not nascar!! its just maxima lovers
170 is a realistic number, doesnt anyone consider what an sl500 with the same mods would do ? anyone consider renntech or brabus mods ? i still love my max but its no benz
Old 05-07-2001, 06:15 PM
The missing moderator

I don't believe anyone asked for a comparison of the MB and the Max... the post was about how a certain maxima was faster than a certain MB. No one asked for a comparison of the leather in the car, the resale value, the build quality... read the post again... Loren's Maxima beat a MB SL500, that's it.

and even if you want to compare, in this case, the speed of the MB was no comparison to Loren's Maxima...

-Shing
Old 05-07-2001, 06:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Okay kiddies! Lets not get carried away! 170 is NOT realistic. You know why? Because all benzes, even the AMG series are limited to about 155mph. And my automatic maxima beat my friend's E420 to the 1/4 mile. My parents own a E420 Sport AMG also, so I know how that thing drives. It still takes concentration to drive it at 110 mph. Why? Because you're freakin going 110mph! As for this thread. "It's not maxima vs mercedes. Ha ha, I have a maxima and I'm better." Its more like, "I have one bad *** Maxima, if you think your Benz is more bad ***, come get some" =) Thats what its all about.

ZuM
Old 05-07-2001, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Zum.. you coming to the meet in NYC???

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Okay kiddies! Lets not get carried away! 170 is NOT realistic. You know why? Because all benzes, even the AMG series are limited to about 155mph. And my automatic maxima beat my friend's E420 to the 1/4 mile. My parents own a E420 Sport AMG also, so I know how that thing drives. It still takes concentration to drive it at 110 mph. Why? Because you're freakin going 110mph! As for this thread. "It's not maxima vs mercedes. Ha ha, I have a maxima and I'm better." Its more like, "I have one bad *** Maxima, if you think your Benz is more bad ***, come get some" =) Thats what its all about.

ZuM
Old 05-07-2001, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

What meet in NYC? Or is this the LSP thing?
Old 05-07-2001, 07:15 PM
Administrator

damn you NJ people get so touchy

yes the Liberty State Park meet

Originally posted by Synki

What meet in NYC? Or is this the LSP thing?
Old 05-07-2001, 07:31 PM

the new S600 does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds ... i hope it can run that fast , after all it does have a V12 in it.. but if that engine was so good how come it isnt in the Mclaren... oh thats right because BMW has a better V12....

what meet at liberty State Park ... what...what...
Old 05-07-2001, 07:32 PM
Administrator

maybe you should read the northeast forum????
Originally posted by Stillnmax
the new S600 does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds ... i hope it can run that fast , after all it does have a V12 in it.. but if that engine was so good how come it isnt in the Mclaren... oh thats right because BMW has a better V12....

what meet at liberty State Park ... what...what...
Old 05-07-2001, 07:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. The whole point of this is not a Maxima being the greatest car in the world or a Nissan being better than a Benz. This is a roadkill and that's all. Personally, I think it is cool that someone in a Benz would like to race. I could easily take a Ferrari 328, that does not mean I have a better or higher status car. It just means I have a faster car. If it was an AMG or Braubus conversion, even better. If they win, then they get a kill.

My fun is taking people who never expect it. That is what is special about the car. My car is not slammed. There is no body kit or loud graphics. You never even notice the Skyline brakes until I point them out. There is just the whine of the Vortech V1 to warn people of what is coming. Only the 17" wheels give a visual indication of anything other than stock. It is weird for me to think about this car being faster than my Saleen was. The difference is the Saleen was a car someone else built, the Max is the car I built. That is why I still own the Max and sold the Saleen last year.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:03 PM

The Benz is *still* a tank

See, you made me repeat myself !

The Benz is a tank. All you 19 and 20 year old high school boys can drool over one if you like, it's still a tank. Does it go fast ? Sure, stuff multiple liters of gas hogging motor into a 2 ton behemoth and it will go fast. It's *still* a tank, just a fast tank.

You want to compare a Bummer and a Max... and you don't want to argue the snob factor, OK, we can talk. At least the Bummer is a sports sedan. A Merc was, is, and always will be a tank (hint - a big, fluffy, tank is their design goal)

'nuff said (too much even)

Bob
Old 05-07-2001, 08:26 PM

Re: The Benz is *still* a tank

The Benz is a tank. All you 19 and 20 year old high school boys can drool over one if you like, it's still a tank. Does it go fast ? Sure, stuff multiple liters of gas hogging motor into a 2 ton behemoth and it will go fast. It's *still* a tank, just a fast tank.

You want to compare a Bummer and a Max... and you don't want to argue the snob factor, OK, we can talk. At least the Bummer is a sports sedan. A Merc was, is, and always will be a tank (hint - a big, fluffy, tank is their design goal)

Bob

then what makes maxima not a tank? it has 3 liter engine... thats a lot comparing to hondas 2 liter 240hp engine.. its 1.5 ton not light at all... and the 540 is like 3800lb only a couple hundred lb behind
Old 05-07-2001, 08:51 PM

Re: The Benz is *still* a tank

Bob
Bob you dont know what you are talking about...You obviously have little knowledge about germans cars with those comments.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:22 PM

Damn this is turning into a little war. I still say, this is a Maxima forum all you people that want to argue that the MB is better go to an MB forum. Thats all I have to say
Take Care
Old 05-08-2001, 04:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Meet? What meet? =) Haha. I wouldn't mind checking out some of your nitrous setups. I'm gonna go that route too. Either that, or fix all the dents on my car.. hehe..

ZuM

Originally posted by SprintMax

Old 05-08-2001, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Check the Northeast forum man.. as a veteren member i havn't seen you at any meets.. come on down
Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Meet? What meet? =) Haha. I wouldn't mind checking out some of your nitrous setups. I'm gonna go that route too. Either that, or fix all the dents on my car.. hehe..

ZuM

Old 05-08-2001, 06:17 AM

Wah Wah Wah Wah, We should change the sites name to baby.org
Old 05-08-2001, 01:40 PM

oh thats right the maxima is the best car in the world .... stupid close minded ****** get your head out yer **** !

Bob you sound like you know shiet about German cars....
if Benz was supposed to be all fluff and no stuff then why does AMG make stuff for it.... wasting my time with this post and you guys is pointless