4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

One more question about Exhaust regarding my future mods to my max?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

One more question about Exhaust regarding my future mods to my max?

Ok, here is what I have decided to do, but I am confused about what the components for the exhaust system including the Y pipe are.

Future Mods,

-Budget Y-Pipe, but on their website it says F-Pipe, is this the same as a Y pipe? Also, is there a difference in performance between the budget Y-pipes and the Cattman Y-Pipes?
-Place Racing Cold Air Intake
-Greddy Cat Back Exhaust with Magna Flow Muffler

**My question is.... does the greddy exhaust system come with a high performance catalytic converter, and everything else? Also, the greddy exhaust will connect to the Budget brand Y-pipe even though they are totally different manufacturing companies? My last question is, is the mod setup listed above any good?

Sorry for all the questions,

thanks...Cattman786
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
THT
Throbbing member

F-pipe=Y-pipe=Downpipe and every pipe produces the "same" gains; you pay for quality.

The Greddy you speak of is probably just a catback. If you want a high flow cat, call Warpspeed and get one for $85. IMO, it's a waste of money unless you're boosted.

And yes, the GReddy will mate to the Budget without a problem. Just make sure everything is the same size (2.5" will be enough).

You've got a good start; Welcome to the sickness.

~THT
Old 03-23-2005, 02:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Magnaflow = rice sounding.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM

I just installed a warpspeed on my 95. I bought it on ebay and it went on fairly easy. I felt a decent increase in power and I swear that I'm getting better mpg now too!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:41 PM

just thought id let ya know.. if your trying to make your car faster, do the complete exhaust, and omitt the cold air intake. all its gonna do is make noise, and take away alot from your bottom end once you have the exhaust on. leave your intake alone, and invest in the y-pipe and hi-flow cat. those are your two biggest restrictions with air flow. the b-pipe and muffler gains are minimal. your lucky if switching those will amount to a 4hp gain, but if your gonna do the y-pipe and cat, you might as well put new stuff in the back too. me peronally, dont like the rice sound, and would just put a new stock muffler on.. the 2hp loss is worth keeping the car quiet.. unless you want it like that of course.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:21 PM
SLOW

Some bad information in that last post...
Old 03-23-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
not really.. your just among those who refuse to face the music. do some research
Old 03-23-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually the CAI is more of a low end torque maker. And the cat is NOT a restriction.

CAI or HAI, stock resonator, performance Y and stock cat back would be the biggest hp maker.

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
just thought id let ya know.. if your trying to make your car faster, do the complete exhaust, and omitt the cold air intake. all its gonna do is make noise, and take away alot from your bottom end once you have the exhaust on. leave your intake alone, and invest in the y-pipe and hi-flow cat. those are your two biggest restrictions with air flow. the b-pipe and muffler gains are minimal. your lucky if switching those will amount to a 4hp gain, but if your gonna do the y-pipe and cat, you might as well put new stuff in the back too. me peronally, dont like the rice sound, and would just put a new stock muffler on.. the 2hp loss is worth keeping the car quiet.. unless you want it like that of course.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

what he said

here what i think:
stock manifolds(headers)
ypipe (the cheapest you can get, they are all the same, i have a budget)
stock cat (hiflows are useless on a na 3.0)
aftermarket b pipe
any muffler you want(stock is nice a quiet)

a cai is fine. yes it adds noise but it also adds some Hp/Tq. make it yourself and save some cash.

if you ask me the best intake is belt driven
Old 03-23-2005, 05:00 PM

if you'd like to launch into a big debate over the effectiveness of a cai, with a full exhaust, we can, altough its been done countless times already. hang around for a while and im sure youll see some people that have ACTUALLY HAD IT give an opinion. if someone thinks there non-mandrel bent b-pipe is more of a restriction than a cat, i suggest they look inside one. one of the big reasons the y-pipe makes gains is cause it removes 2 of the pre-cats. some guys are still stuck in the old school way of thinking when all these things first came out..
Old 03-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Banned

if you'd like to launch into a big debate over the effectiveness of a cai, with a full exhaust, we can, altough its been done countless times already. hang around for a while and im sure youll see some people that have ACTUALLY HAD IT give an opinion. if someone thinks there non-mandrel bent b-pipe is more of a restriction than a cat, i suggest they look inside one. one of the big reasons the y-pipe makes gains is cause it removes 2 of the pre-cats. some guys are still stuck in the old school way of thinking when all these things first came out..
i have a full exhaust.
and have tried 4 different intakes with it:stock, hacked box, injen, maf with k&n sitting in the air box
and i still after all of that use my injen.
so....eat it
Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What mufflers (if any) will add a low growl, rather than a high ricey sound?

I'm pretty much set on a Warpspeed or Budget aluminized Y-pipe, possibly hacking my airbox to replace my OSCAI, and calling it good.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
what he said

here what i think:
stock manifolds(headers)
ypipe (the cheapest you can get, they are all the same, i have a budget)
stock cat (hiflows are useless on a na 3.0)
aftermarket b pipe
any muffler you want(stock is nice a quiet)

a cai is fine. yes it adds noise but it also adds some Hp/Tq. make it yourself and save some cash.

if you ask me the best intake is belt driven
Hi-flow cats are bad for the enviroment because they let alot of pollutants get by that the stock cat was engineered to stop, unless designed otherwise. Y-pipe will give the most gain in your exhaust system, so start @ the motor, not the muffler! B-pipe gains are minimal compared to that of a y-pipe. Y-pipes must be bad for the enviroment as well considering the y-pipe eliminates 2 pre-cats.
Ebay CAI was only $60 shipped so if you can make one for less than that, go for it!

For forced induction, turbos are better than superchargers. Turbos have more potential to gain more power & they work off of free power(meaning exhaust pressure to spin the inductor blades is free, superchargers take power from the crankshaft to spin the belt/pulley) Yes turbos are not as reliable as superchargers, but $3000 for 80hp is pricey when you can spend the same on a turbo & get 110+hp w/the option of upgrading to a bigger turbo. IMO
Old 03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
SLOW

not really.. your just among those who refuse to face the music. do some research
I'm sorry you must have me confused with someone else. I've had the fastest N/A 4th gen Maxima on this site for two years, and had the fastest N/A maxima period for quite some time too. First in the 14s stock. First to run 14.4s with just a Ypipe. First in the 13s. First in the mid 13s. First in the low 13s. I was the first person to track test MEVI/JWT ECU. I was the first person to put together the custom 13" BBK utilizing mustang cobra rotors. I was the first person to bring to this board the fact that mazda millenia wheels are excellent lightweight stock wheels and start the craze that followed. You were wrong about a number of things, CAI, and high flow cat to name the most obvious. Don't try to argue with me the usefulness or lack thereof of mods. You will lose.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 PM

OoOoOoO, good work Neal
Old 03-23-2005, 07:09 PM
SomePsychoGuy

Our cat is not restrictive. Our precats are. There is a difference. Elimiating the precats is not the only reason why a y pipe is such a good mod; the stock one connects at a T instead of a Y to preserve equal length exhaust and is very small area to flow through in places. Unless boosted there is really no point of replacing your cat unless it is clogged or broken. The exhaust Torgus suggested is the best exhaust for money and power (for the VQ30 at least). It has been said countless times on the org before.

When someone has posts in the thousands, has been on the forum for 5 years, and was a MOM then you should probably figure they are not your average uninformed newbie. Not too say that post count or join date is directly related to knowledge of these cars but I can say for sure Nealoc knows a lot more than you do.

There has been some evidence that the stock intake resonator is better than a midpipe performance wise. I recently put it back on and I guess it is true. The butt dyno can be deceiving. It is definitely quieter and I can't hear the MEVI as well but I still like it. I have never had a CAI but especially with the stock midpipe it should produce gains. A good pop charger or k&n panel filter with hacked air box does provide gains especially with y pipe and other mods.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jblinga
Hi-flow cats are bad for the enviroment because they let alot of pollutants get by that the stock cat was engineered to stop, unless designed otherwise. Y-pipe will give the most gain in your exhaust system, so start @ the motor, not the muffler! B-pipe gains are minimal compared to that of a y-pipe. Y-pipes must be bad for the enviroment as well considering the y-pipe eliminates 2 pre-cats.
Ebay CAI was only $60 shipped so if you can make one for less than that, go for it!

For forced induction, turbos are better than superchargers. Turbos have more potential to gain more power & they work off of free power(meaning exhaust pressure to spin the inductor blades is free, superchargers take power from the crankshaft to spin the belt/pulley) Yes turbos are not as reliable as superchargers, but $3000 for 80hp is pricey when you can spend the same on a turbo & get 110+hp w/the option of upgrading to a bigger turbo. IMO

show me a turbo for 3k that goes on our max...

y pipes arn't bad for the enviroment. once the main cat heats up it works fine. thats why we still pass emision with it...

i'v seen bumpers stained because the lack of a cat.

i know how a cat works thanks
i know how a supercharger works thanks
i know how a turbo works thanks

i said IN MY OPINION when i said a supercharger.
want to know why?
much more reliable.
cheaper and you can make a max have 300+ tq/hp with a supercharger.

so thanks for the education or something
Old 03-23-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't suppose you want to tell my why I gained a good amount of hp with my 3-gen Y pipe then?? I'd love to hear it.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 AM

To the author of this thread - the Greddy cat-back exhaust includes a muffler, so if you put down mangaflow because you thought you would need one besides Greddy's set-up, well, you don't. It includes a muffler.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
show me a turbo for 3k that goes on our max...

y pipes arn't bad for the enviroment. once the main cat heats up it works fine. thats why we still pass emision with it...

i'v seen bumpers stained because the lack of a cat.

i know how a cat works thanks
i know how a supercharger works thanks
i know how a turbo works thanks

i said IN MY OPINION when i said a supercharger.
want to know why?
much more reliable.
cheaper and you can make a max have 300+ tq/hp with a supercharger.

so thanks for the education or something
I stated that superchargers are more reliable than turbos, d!ckhaed! Go custom & the cost is around 3K! HP & tq gains are better w/turbos. Hi-flow cats are basically straight through piping meaning THEY DON'T STOP HARMFUL POLLUTANTS! Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has got one, & they all stink, especially yours!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't suppose you want to tell my why I gained a good amount of hp with my 3-gen Y pipe then?? I'd love to hear it.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
we heard you the first time, but this is a 4th gen forum.. couldnt care less..
Old 03-28-2005, 06:26 PM

I'm sorry you must have me confused with someone else. I've had the fastest N/A 4th gen Maxima on this site for two years, and had the fastest N/A maxima period for quite some time too. First in the 14s stock. First to run 14.4s with just a Ypipe. First in the 13s. First in the mid 13s. First in the low 13s. I was the first person to track test MEVI/JWT ECU. I was the first person to put together the custom 13" BBK utilizing mustang cobra rotors. I was the first person to bring to this board the fact that mazda millenia wheels are excellent lightweight stock wheels and start the craze that followed. You were wrong about a number of things, CAI, and high flow cat to name the most obvious. Don't try to argue with me the usefulness or lack thereof of mods. You will lose.

good for you.. heres a trophy..
Old 03-28-2005, 06:31 PM

heres another one for ya.. u deserve it.. :attention
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned

wow.
ok.
1st stuntin- all you do is get in arguments with people on this message board, and insult well respected members who know more about maximas then you ever will simply for the fact your so closed minded.
2nd jblinga-your not putting a turbo on a maxima for 3k. period. it's just not happening. give me a # of a shop where they will do it for 3k out the door. i mean it's not like you just slap on a turbo...you need a crap load of new things...AFC,Large Injectors, Upgraded Fuel Pump,intercooler...hell a good intercooler can cost you 2k alone. also there is no reason to be rude. if you want to be rude please PM me and don't make it public. it makes you seem immature.
3rd. lock this thread it's gone to ****.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

a high flow cat isnt bad for the enviroment. does your cel set w/ one? no. because the exhaust emissions are still w/ in spec of the cars design. the high flow cat helps for this reason...its got a 2.5inch inlet and outlet. whats the point of getting a 2.5inch exhaust and still having a 2inch cat?

and turbos do not make free power. yes they are more efficient than a supercharger but they are still a restriction. the turbine restricts the exhaust flow. ever hear of turbo lag? before the turbo spools up it is a restriction to exhaust flow and therefore, depending on the size of the turbo, can make your car a dog in the lowend.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:14 PM

......... ...........
Old 03-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by larryseibel
a high flow cat isnt bad for the enviroment. does your cel set w/ one? no. because the exhaust emissions are still w/ in spec of the cars design. the high flow cat helps for this reason...its got a 2.5inch inlet and outlet. whats the point of getting a 2.5inch exhaust and still having a 2inch cat?

and turbos do not make free power. yes they are more efficient than a supercharger but they are still a restriction. the turbine restricts the exhaust flow. ever hear of turbo lag? before the turbo spools up it is a restriction to exhaust flow and therefore, depending on the size of the turbo, can make your car a dog in the lowend.
Here is some info supported by facts!

Turbo lag is lack of exhaust pressure @ low rpms, not restriction to the exhaust flow. Here is the definition
What is turbo lag
Let's say that you are loafing along, engine spinning 1500 rpm or so. You instantly floor the throttle. The exhaust gas flows through the turbo and cause it to spool (spin up to speed and create boost). However, at this engine speed there isn't very much exhaust gas coming out. Worse still, the turbo needs to really get spinning to create a lot of boost. (Some turbos will spin at 150,000 rpm and beyond!) So you, the driver, need to wait for engine revs to raise and create enough exhaust gas flow to spool the turbo. This wait time--the period between hitting the throttle at low engine speed and the creation of appreciable boost--is properly called boost response. Many people incorrectly call it lag, which is really something different.This wait time--the period between hitting the throttle at low engine speed and the creation of appreciable boost--is properly called boost response. Many people incorrectly call it lag, which is really something different. Lag actually refers to how long it takes to spool the turbo when you're already at a sufficent engine speed to create boost. For example, let's say your engine can make 12 psi at 4000 RPM. You're cruising along at a steady road speed, engine spinning 4000 RPM, and now you floor it. How long it takes to achieve your usual 12 psi is your turbo's lag time. Between the two, slow boost response usually causes the most complaints.

There are two main types of structures used in catalytic converters -- honeycomb and ceramic beads. Most cars today use a honeycomb structure.

If a hi flow cat is basically straight through piping, how does it stop harmful pollutants?

Exhaust gasses exit from your manifold or header, travel through a bit of pipe, then end up in the catalytic converter, or "cat". The cat's main job is to help clean up some of the harmful chemicals from your exhaust gas so they don't end up in your lungs. In most cars, they also do a great job of quieting things down and giving any exhaust system a deeper, mellow tone. You'll see a lot of Self-Proclaimed Master Technicians (SPMT's) telling people that removing a cat will get you tons of power. There's room for debate on this, but in our experience, removing a catalytic converter from a new car won't gain you much in the horsepower department. It can also get you a $1500 fine if the EPA finds out!
Info from exhaust FAQ Google
Old 03-28-2005, 09:35 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Remove your stock cat and look inside. It's straight through with a honey-comb substrate. Aftermarket hi-flow cats follow the same principle but are designed to flow easier. They still clean the emissions but do so more efficiently. Hi-flow cats and test pipes are two different animals altogether.

~THT
Old 03-28-2005, 09:41 PM

tell 2 guys ya what.. just because i dont spend all my time and energy into trying to make my 4 door family car, a sports car by bolting some big wing on it and adding a noisy intake, doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about. belive it or not, ive been around the block a few times. so lemme know when you want me to shoot down everything you've said, and make you sit there and wonder if you make any sense at all. ill be more than happy to do so.
let me clear one more thing up for you.. you sit so high up on your perch like a parakette, and youve accomplished the impossible. now, im not saying i wont give credit where credit is do, but ive been doing things like this long enough to know that anybody with a credit card can make a car go fast. its just a game of who's willing to spend the most money. some people have other things to spend money on. so how about you climb down from you pedestal for just a little bit. you didnt re-invent the wheel.
finally, yes, i do argue with people on here from time to time. everyone does. i have two types that get under my skin. people who are too lazy to even read, and people who are arragant. so you can take your pick.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:50 PM

jblinga def has the definition of turbo lag correct. i know a pretty good bit about turbos. but other than that this whole post has been a good lesson :-p
Old 03-28-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

I care. Especially when it shoots your theory down the drain.

we heard you the first time, but this is a 4th gen forum.. couldnt care less..
Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 AM
Banned

it's nice how we all get alone so well here. nothing like the internet to make grown men act like 14yr olds with hard ons.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here is some info supported by facts!

Turbo lag is lack of exhaust pressure @ low rpms, not restriction to the exhaust flow. Here is the definition
What is turbo lag
Many people incorrectly call it lag, which is really something different.[/U]This wait time--the period between hitting the throttle at low engine speed and the creation of appreciable boost--is properly called boost response. Many people incorrectly call it lag, which is really something different. Lag actually refers to how long it takes to spool the turbo when you're already at a sufficent engine speed to create boost. For example, let's say your engine can make 12 psi at 4000 RPM. You're cruising along at a steady road speed, engine spinning 4000 RPM, and now you floor it. How long it takes to achieve your usual 12 psi is your turbo's lag time. Between the two, slow boost response usually causes the most complaints.

There are two main types of structures used in catalytic converters -- honeycomb and ceramic beads. Most cars today use a honeycomb structure.

If a hi flow cat is basically straight through piping, how does it stop harmful pollutants?

Exhaust gasses exit from your manifold or header, travel through a bit of pipe, then end up in the catalytic converter, or "cat". The cat's main job is to help clean up some of the harmful chemicals from your exhaust gas so they don't end up in your lungs. In most cars, they also do a great job of quieting things down and giving any exhaust system a deeper, mellow tone. You'll see a lot of Self-Proclaimed Master Technicians (SPMT's) telling people that removing a cat will get you tons of power. There's room for debate on this, but in our experience, removing a catalytic converter from a new car won't gain you much in the horsepower department. It can also get you a $1500 fine if the EPA finds out!
Info from exhaust FAQ Google

well...what ever you want to call it doesnt change the fact that a turbo charger is still an exhaust restriction. yes it creates alot more power than it uses but its still not free power. i dont know where you got your info but ask anyone w/ a turbo car or drive one...turbos dont take long to spool up. the advantage of a turbo over a supercharger is that you can make maximum boost at low rpm. a s/c doesnt make maximum boost untill redline. if your cruising at 4000rpm and you nail it, you will make maximum boost immediatly becaus at 4k your car is already making enough exhaust to spin it as fast as it can.

w/out getting into much detail catalytic convertors store elements like oxygen and hydrogen and combine them or remove them from your exhaust gases to make clean air. for example...
hydro carbons are bad...cat can seperate the hydrogen and add oxygen to give you 2 gases that arent bad for the enviroment. namely hydrogen and carbondioxide. same thing applies to nox and carbonmonoxide.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by larryseibel
well...what ever you want to call it doesnt change the fact that a turbo charger is still an exhaust restriction. yes it creates alot more power than it uses but its still not free power. i dont know where you got your info but ask anyone w/ a turbo car or drive one...turbos dont take long to spool up.
Depends on the turbo. A Supra with a T78 single, is NOT going to say "my turbo spools up fast". Not w/o a shot of nos that is

the advantage of a turbo over a supercharger is that you can make maximum boost at low rpm. a s/c doesnt make maximum boost untill redline.
Again, depends on the SC. The unit that Stillen uses for the maxima won't reach peak boost until redline. But a Whipple or similar s/c reach peak just after htting the gas pedal. One maxima had such an unit

So you can't just use such general terms while dicussing turbos / SCs, because it depends on too many factors.

Did you know the fastest maxima here on .org is running a SC and not a turbo?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:24 AM
THT
Throbbing member

It is? I thought MardiGrasMax ditched his SC setup for a turbo?

~THT
Old 03-29-2005, 08:17 AM

Cant we all just get along???? so does the high flow cat creat hp or not? and what wheels are those that are the excellent lightweight stock wheel?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe he swtiched? Dunno. He was deep in the 12s with the SC though

Originally Posted by THT
It is? I thought MardiGrasMax ditched his SC setup for a turbo?

~THT
Old 03-29-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by brownsvillemax
Cant we all just get along???? so does the high flow cat creat hp or not?
for N/A no, maybe 1-2hp on a good day
Old 03-29-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Maybe he swtiched? Dunno. He was deep in the 12s with the SC though
IIRC he's running about 11.5 with the Turbo which is quicker than his S/C+shot

Quick Reply: One more question about Exhaust regarding my future mods to my max?