4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting Problem – Very Bizarre

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:08 PM

Starting Problem – Very Bizarre

96 I30t - 125K.
Have experienced periodic problems with starting since purchasing the car over one year ago. Most of the time the car starts perfectly normal. When it doesn’t start normally (maybe 20% of the time), absolutely nothing happens when the key is turned..no noise, no cranking..nothing. When it doesn’t start I usually try turning the key several more times and/or removing the key, reinsert the key, etc. Sometimes the car will turn over and start after just one or two attempts. On other occasions it will take numerous turns of the key over several minutes (with absolutely nothing happening) and then for no rhyme or reason, the car starts perfectly normal. I may go several weeks w/o experiencing a starting problem, but during other periods of time, I have this experience this problem several times a week.

Again, this problem has been occurring periodically for over one year, when it doesn’t start nothing happens, and it has always eventually (and very mysteriously) started.

Ready to give up and take it to the dealer and will probably get ripped pretty badly in the process. Just hoping someone has the answer or cure for this bizarre problem
Old 03-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Is it a 5 speed? Check your clutch switch it could be dirty and not working 100% of the time.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:39 PM

Give up on what. You haven't tried to fix it. What do you expect it to heal itself?

Like the guy above said check the clutch switch. You might have a bad ignition switch as well.

A bad starter can do this too.

You need to do some poking around
Old 03-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

start with what they said and also check all conections, such as battery terminals and follow the wire down to the starter and make sure all connections are tight and clean, next time it wont start get out and play with the terminals on the battery and then try starting it again...simple but i've seen it happen to many people
--Dan
Old 03-31-2005, 05:32 PM

Nope..It’s an automatic ..should have mentioned that I guess.

Yes, I have posted this same problem twice before, about 5 – 10 months ago. Tried several recommended fixes, but just couldn’t cover every detail in the post. One person suggested checking, cleaning, and tightening the battery posts, which I did. Have also sprayed WD40 in the ignition keyhole. “Sometimes” it starts right up after doing that, but not always. Sometimes it starts if I turn the key harder or push in a bit on the key, but not always. Today I sat there for about 10 minutes …probably 30 or more attempts. Thought about perhaps trying jumper cables to see if that would make a difference. Got out and spoke with someone about trying a jumpstart, then got back in the car turned the key and bingo..started right up like there was never a problem. Figure it may now start just fine for a few days before it happens again. Also, can’t really tell if it’s gotten any worse over the last year. So, this just doesn’t seem to look like a typical starter problem to me, but then I’m no mechanic. The ignition switch idea caught my eye however.
Do you know where I may be able to find more info on that…if you still think that may possibly be the problem??

Many many thanks..

Bill
Old 03-31-2005, 05:35 PM

I'm having the same problem right now...I'm searching for an answer...mine's probably related to a bad ignition switch.....
Old 03-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by mrbill
Sometimes it starts if I turn the key harder or push in a bit on the key, but not always.
Thats the clue to your problem.

The ignition switch is known to fail on our cars. That statement you made points directly to your ignition switch. Replace it and your car should start correctly all the time.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:52 PM

I had this problem with my car a few years ago. Most days it would start perfectly fine, but some days it would just be dead. I took it to a couple of nissan dealers and each and every one of them said that they couldn't find anything wrong. Finally I got really tired of having my car not start on me and I took it back to nissan and told them to check every electrical wire. In the end, one of the wires that led to the rear o2 sensor had a short init and was causing the car to not start, no lights, nothing... I've also seen that happen with the ignition switch too, but I don't know why you wouldn't get any lights when you tried to start it. Good luck with that anyway.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:04 PM

Whoo Hooo!!

Thanks everyone. Definately going to try replacing the ignition switch. Been messin with this problem for a year now and hell, I even found some instructions...!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....gnition+switch

Whoo Hoo!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Kevlo for President

Yupp, I had same prob. It was the ignition switch.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine did a simlar thing, but found a different problem.

There is a red connector that plugs into the terminal on the battery...one of the wires in that connector powers the starter relay. Give both sides of the connector a shot of contact cleaner...even reach in there with a q-tip or small brush. After cleaning I added some contact grease to the terminals to minimize future corrosion.

Good luck
Old 04-01-2005, 01:17 PM

Im going to try it this weekend as well. Sounds easy enough to do.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:36 PM

My bet is on the ignition switch as well. While the manual trans cars have a clutch switch that can fail, the autos have a nutral/park switch that would keep the car from starting unless you are in park and/or nutral.

Keep us updated on what your find.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:05 PM

Ignition Switch

Bought the switch today at the local stealer...almost $40 with tax. Part number 48750-1E411. Plan on putting it in tomorrow. Will not know right away if the problem is fixed ...will need to go a couple of weeks before I'm relatively confident the problem was a bad switch.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:46 PM

I had the problem very similar to yours. I do need to put abit of energy to start my car. I have to turn harder at the last click to start. I thought it was my starter in the beginner and I never want to deal with it. The starter failed and I changed it and the problem still exist.

From what you guys discussed, i'll try to replace the ignition switch. Should I get a dealer part or aftermarket part? Or is there an aftermarket ignition switch? Thanks
Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Max96GLE
From what you guys discussed, i'll try to replace the ignition switch. Should I get a dealer part or aftermarket part? Or is there an aftermarket ignition switch? Thanks
I am glad you brought this up. I had an argument with my friend Nick over the same thing with his Audi.

His Ignition Module failed on his 99 A4. Its the 2nd time he changed it. At a cost of $400 each time (part only).

I suggested he get an aftermarket part this time because there's apparently something wrong with the way the OEM manufactures the part. Maybe an aftermarket part will last longer. Its also cheaper.

I finally got him to cave in and aftermarket we went. Same thing with the nissan.

Our cars come with a Nissan factory ignition switch. They fail quite often. This means there is something wrong with the manufacturing process or the materials they use.

I would advise to go with an aftermarket for this very reason. Standard makes an ignition switch for the car. It is a very easy fix. The hardest part is getting the steering column cover off and getting the little screws in back of the steering lock cylinder undone and re-tightened.

Unlike some cars, the lock (key) part and the switch are separate parts.

Woohoo
Old 04-02-2005, 07:17 AM

Sum Notes...

Got the new switch in. No starting problems, …so far…

Install took about one hour..Here’s some notes for those who don’t typically do this kind of stuff (like me). Tools needed - Phillips screwdriver and 10mm socket. (this is what I did, but not saying there may not be an easier way) In order to access all the screws on the lower cover of the steering column I found it necessary to remove the panel below the steering column and a metal bracket. To remove the panel: remove two screws from the bottom part of the panel. The front then snaps off. Then remove the metal bracket by removing the two 10mm bolts. Remove six screws from the lower steering column cover. Lift off top cover. Remove bottom cover while making a mental note of how the wires are routed through the openings. Remove two small Phillips head screws holding the ignition switch in place. The upper screw was a pain as it’s tough to get anywhere near a straight shot with the screw driver. On the other end of the switch, unplug the plug. The plug end is also secured to a metal holding bracket by a gray plastic rivet thinamagingy. Either pry it out of the hole or try sliding the switch out from the gray plastic holder thingamagingy.

Put the new switch in and put all of the covers and stuff back where you found them. Insure you have no extra parts left over
Old 04-02-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by mrbill
Got the new switch in. No starting problems, …so far…
No problems... so far? You're a tough customer.

Congrats on your successful repair.

If you're a real gear head like some of us are you'll break apart the old ignition switch and figure out what the problem was.

Did you go with a factory switch or an aftermarket? I'm just curious.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:14 AM

Nevermind. I didnt read your posts.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

We have the same problem. I replaced the starter but still occasional no starts. Now it won;t start unless giggle the key. I'll replace the part *** suggested and post results. thanks much
Old 04-02-2005, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=PAREDLINE]No problems... so far? You're a tough customer.

No problems "so far". Naa, not a tough customer, but since the starting problem was intermittent, it may take a few weeks before I know for sure if it's fixed!.

Had I thought about it, I would have at least looked into an aftermarket part.

(The OEM part was in a part bag that was only taped shut..that worried me a bit... Hell, for all I know, it could be a used part!!)
Old 04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
BK1
Hello

It happened to me one day. You have to jiggle the shifter/shifter button. The car won't start unless its fully in P.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:53 PM

intermittant no starting...I just tackled this problem this last weekend, now it starts like a charm on every key turn...I basically troubleshooted everything...(I am a 5spd) so I tested the clutch interlock switch and relay...clean the connections to those, then took out my starter...took it apart, cleaned everything...sprayed some WD40 all around, cleaned my battery and ground connections at the battery and at the starter....and now perfect...(I knew it wasn't my ignition switch as that is new....and my starter had just been rebuilt which is weird)....if your an auto...check your neutral position switch and/or relay...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Custom User Title

Alot of people overlook the ignition switch.... I know I did.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:17 PM

i got the same problem here. is the starter in my case.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:11 AM

ignition switch

The new ignition switch definately fixed the intermittent problem with starting. Installed the new switch a week ago and the car has started perfectly ever since. Feels good to eliminate a problem that had been occuring intermittently for over one year!!
Thanks for the advice and input!!

Bill