4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drivers Side Axle is driving me Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:17 PM
vsamoylov

Drivers Side Axle is driving me Nuts

Well okay I spent alomsot my whole day today fixing my drivers side axle. First I had a 2k2 6 speed axle and it started to maek noise when i turned left so I had a spare axle. I put that in and alter the inside boot got a whole in it. So i drove with it until it started making noise and giving vibration. So I found another spare axle that had a bad boot on it. I replaced the boot and today decided to put the axle in. Well i got it in but now the thing that makes me mad is that when I turn the wheel all the way to the right while driving, I get this huge vibration and noise from the drivers side axle. It sounds like the beasrings inside are shot. But this only happens when I trun all the way to the right. So now I have to take the axle out and figure out what to do. This axle is driving me nuts and I cant believe I spent my saturday fixing it and its still bad.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
Well okay I spent alomsot my whole day today fixing my drivers side axle. First I had a 2k2 6 speed axle and it started to maek noise when i turned left so I had a spare axle. I put that in and alter the inside boot got a whole in it. So i drove with it until it started making noise and giving vibration. So I found another spare axle that had a bad boot on it. I replaced the boot and today decided to put the axle in. Well i got it in but now the thing that makes me mad is that when I turn the wheel all the way to the right while driving, I get this huge vibration and noise from the drivers side axle. It sounds like the beasrings inside are shot. But this only happens when I trun all the way to the right. So now I have to take the axle out and figure out what to do. This axle is driving me nuts and I cant believe I spent my saturday fixing it and its still bad.
I have an idea. This may sound totally retarded... but why dont you get an axle for a 1996 Maxima? Why the fruk would you use an axle for a 2002 on a 1996? It makes no sense.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
vsamoylov

because of the 3.5 swap. that is why.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:32 PM

ahh. my bad. I'd suggest you get a NEW axle with a lifetime warranty. An axle with a bad boot usually means a bad axle. Once the boot rips moisture has already gotten in the joint.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

is it possible all three axles you put on were bad?
Old 04-09-2005, 10:40 PM
vsamoylov

i have no clue if all 3 of them are bad but parts of them are bad. i am thinking now of taking this axle and taking it apart and taking the axle i just removed with the torn inside boot. the axle i have on right now is only bad on the part that goes into the knuckle so i will take that part the part that goes into tranny from this axle and take the part that goes into the knuckle from the axle i just removed and combine them together and hope they will worktogether and not create any stupid noises or vibrations. it just sucks that i have to ttake it out again and do all this work.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:42 PM

you spent all this time and money on the 3.5 swap and now you're cheaping out on axles. Just get a new axle. This way you know its new. It has a warranty. The problem will most likely be solved.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:46 PM
vsamoylov

its not that i am cheap. its that i am trying to use all of the parts that i have so i wouldnt have to throw things away. and if i do get a new axle, i would only get a oem one.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:50 PM

you make sense. wasting things is bad. but its not like a used radiator cap. Axles take time to change. I did mine today and it really pissed me off. It's a dirty job and with 3 axle changes you should probably change the axle seal too because chances are its already worn from the teeth of the inner joint going in and out.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:55 PM
vsamoylov

yeah i was thinkng about the seal also. and yes its a messy job. i thought it wasnt goign to take me a long time but for some reason i always run into problems. its funny though how many times i took things apart and put them back together. i am used to it already. the thing that made me mad is that stupid nissan wont sell the clamsp that hold the boot seperatly. and i had a boot so i had to reuse the old clamps.