4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Going to dealer for regular service...SHOULD I Take My INTAKE out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 09:09 PM

Im going in for a regular 63,000 mile service for my 96 max and although I have had my JWT Intake for about 3 months, (without any problems)I have yet to take it in for a regular service with the Intake on. Im wondering If I should put the stock airbox back on when I take my car into the dealer.

If not, should i note not to touch the air filter? Im sure most mechanics with a lick of common sense would know not to mess with it, but Ive heard stories.

thanks
Old 05-08-2001, 09:19 PM

well now that your car is 5 years o;d you dont have to worry about your warrenty being void because of the intake. I would just leave it on but do note that they should not play around with it.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Kashoggio
well now that your car is 5 years o;d you dont have to worry about your warrenty being void because of the intake. I would just leave it on but do note that they should not play around with it.
Actually I bought it used, about 2 years ago and I purchased an extended warranty which was 3 years or 85,000 miles....it expires in December....so it is still a factor.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:27 PM

well then take it off, a after market part like a intake will void the warrenty
Old 05-08-2001, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Kashoggio
well then take it off, a after market part like a intake will void the warrenty
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the warranty is only void if they can prove the problem is because of your modification. My warranty is pretty extensive and covers a lot of things, I have a hard time believing that having a cone intake will void my entire warranty. I could be wrong though.

On the other hand, im sure the dealer would note that i have an Intake for future reference.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:32 PM

well

Originally posted by DCmax

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the warranty is only void if they can prove the problem is because of your modification. My warranty is pretty extensive and covers a lot of things, I have a hard time believing that having a cone intake will void my entire warranty. I could be wrong though.

On the other hand, im sure the dealer would note that i have an Intake for future reference.

just to be safe.. your best bet is to just take it out.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:33 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Alright, check this out. The Nissan Dealer down the street from my house, which is HUGE, with quite a few dealerships under there name, sells the JWT at there parts counter! How can they void something they sell? I don't know for sure, but I'd say call them, don't tell them your real name, and just ask. Say "hey, I want to change my air intake, will this void my warrenty?" Can't hurt, and might save you some maintnance. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:37 PM

That's a good point. Ive heard of many big Nissan dealers selling the JWT Intake. Hmmm...very interesting, I think i just might do the phantom caller thing.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:39 PM

it does void your warrenty becasue its not something that was there originally. Such as a K&N filter panel wont because its the oem specs but not from Nissan.
A pop charger does do damage to your engine by letting in more particles of dust and what not. Its not significant but it is still not as effective as the original filter.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went in for my 75K service with my intake and they didn't say anything.

And for regular service, it doesn't really matter if you have warranty or not.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:52 PM

im sure you can go in there with it on, they wont notice, like the techs really care!
Old 05-08-2001, 11:44 PM

kashoggio...

What exactly makes you think the JWT pop charger lets in more dust particles than the OEM filter or a K&N panel filter? The purpose of a cone intake is to allow more AIR into the engine, not more DUST.

Everyone, the truth is you have the right to modify your car AND get warranty service, as long as your modifications do not damage the car. The only thing about your warranty that changes when you add a cone intake is the dealer won't repair your cone intake. Everything else stays the same.

Another example: you install an aftermarket stereo, and it goes out. Do you take it to the dealer? No, it's not covered. Ok, now your front left shock goes out. Did the stereo contribute to the shock's failure? No, the shock is covered.
Finally, when you installed your stereo, you inadvertently attached one of the wires to your dashboard light relay, and now your dash won't light up. You take it to the dealer and they pull the dash apart, find the problem, and tell you it's not covered. Why? Because your stereo install caused the problem.

OK I'm done, but folks don't let your dealers tell you what you can and can't do with your car, please. It's your car.

Justin
Old 05-09-2001, 12:17 AM

Re: kashoggio...

I too think that the cone filters are not as good at filtering dirt and dust out as the paper panel filters. Think about it, the cone is exposed to outside air and all the dirt, grit, and grime under the hood. When I clean my JWT popcharger, it is very clean inside though.

I think if K&N style cotton/oil filters do filter better than paper, then they would certainly advertise it, but they don't so I would assume they are not as good at filtering as the stock filters.

Originally posted by justmax
What exactly makes you think the JWT pop charger lets in more dust particles than the OEM filter or a K&N panel filter? The purpose of a cone intake is to allow more AIR into the engine, not more DUST.

Everyone, the truth is you have the right to modify your car AND get warranty service, as long as your modifications do not damage the car. The only thing about your warranty that changes when you add a cone intake is the dealer won't repair your cone intake. Everything else stays the same.

Another example: you install an aftermarket stereo, and it goes out. Do you take it to the dealer? No, it's not covered. Ok, now your front left shock goes out. Did the stereo contribute to the shock's failure? No, the shock is covered.
Finally, when you installed your stereo, you inadvertently attached one of the wires to your dashboard light relay, and now your dash won't light up. You take it to the dealer and they pull the dash apart, find the problem, and tell you it's not covered. Why? Because your stereo install caused the problem.

OK I'm done, but folks don't let your dealers tell you what you can and can't do with your car, please. It's your car.

Justin
Old 05-09-2001, 07:47 AM

Justin
By letting more air in, what do you think also goes in? You dont think there is dust in the air??? Like I said its not very significant, so dont worry about it. But how u said its your car and you can do what you want to it. Thats fine but no matter what you think of how it should be the world does not work like this. You just cant add a supercharger on and say you still have the warrenty, no matter if a pro installed it or a local tech. Thewre are cases where you still can have your warrenty with a supercharger, like the Stillen SMx Maxima, where the car came with the sc and everything else. Now those car are warrenty. But you cant say do what you want to your car and it will be fine. Im sure you can get away with it but one day maybe you wont.
peace,
mike
Old 05-09-2001, 07:53 AM

Intake

If your intake is 50 state legal then u will have no problems
Old 05-09-2001, 08:05 AM

you know here in NJ that means nothing, those is300 style lights are said to be 100% street legal right. They are not, just becaouse some people put on that DOT number and stuff does not make them leagal. I have been over this with the local cops, and state troopers.
Old 05-09-2001, 09:10 AM

Federal regulations regarding mods and warranty

http://www.sema.org/warranty
Old 05-09-2001, 02:19 PM

Actually, I have the JWT intake, Y-pipe, and catback exhaust and just had some Fuel Injector repair work done under warranty. I think the only mod that voids the warranty is the supercharger. The mechanic even told me to take it in again before June when my warrany expires so he can see if there's anything else that can be fixed under warranty.
Old 05-09-2001, 02:20 PM

Bye, the way, I didn't take any of my mods of before going into the dealership....
Old 05-09-2001, 03:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This isn't necessarliy true. . . I had my stereo installed in different parts by different shops and when the one installed my amps, they didn't cap the speakerwire and it shorted out the deck, but the other shop, from who I bought the deck from, replaced it under warrenty even though it wasn't their fault, so just because it blew something out, the person who installed it isn't always responsible for fixing it.
Old 05-09-2001, 03:58 PM

as for me.....

the 3 nearest dealers to me, an aftermarket intake will void the warranty. i called, asked and even got yelled at for asking why? i just hung up.
Old 05-09-2001, 04:08 PM

At my dealership, I spoke to the service supervisor about my intake and about a y-pipe. He then told me that they have to prove that the malfunction was caused by the aftermarket part.
Old 05-09-2001, 04:50 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Lower that car Chi99~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-09-2001, 06:42 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

SO

So with all this arguement over different policies and other stuff why not just take the stupid thing out. if you have a remaining warranty just do on something easy and visible, don't give them something to try to pin a malfunction on you. If it was a lowering springs i would say leave them unless you were trying to get stock struts fixed, but this is SO EASY to do, save yourself a headache.