4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lowering Springs - OBX Coil-Overs vs. others?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 02:11 PM

I hear a lot of talk of H&R, Eibach, Sprint, etc... for springs for the Maxima, but don't hear much talk of the Ground Control or OBX height adjustable coil overs for the Maximas.

A local shop said he'd sell me a set of OBX heigh adjustable coil overs for my 97 Max for $225... However, I've never heard of OBX. He let me look at the kit and it looks nice, almost exactly like the Ground Controls.

Anybody here have any feedback/experience with the OBX or Ground Control?

Thanks.

-V
Old 05-09-2001, 02:52 PM

Coil overs

Don't do it coil overs suck stick with the springs. I had ground controls and Konis struts. Itwas way to bouncy.
Holla.
Maxi-milliyon
Old 05-09-2001, 03:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

returns

ask what his return policy is, try the OBX and if you dont like them bring them back. if you do like them, buy a set for me ;-) . anyway, i had the GC's and the ride was bouncy and harsh when you hit something, even when they were raised all the way. the car looked SICK though.
-barto
Old 05-09-2001, 03:32 PM

Re: returns

Originally posted by 95GreenGLE
ask what his return policy is, try the OBX and if you dont like them bring them back. if you do like them, buy a set for me ;-) . anyway, i had the GC's and the ride was bouncy and harsh when you hit something, even when they were raised all the way. the car looked SICK though.
-barto
It's kinda hard to ask 'bout return policies on stuff like this... After you've spent $150 on labor to get it installed... you'd need to spend another $150 to get it out and something else installed haha...

Anyway, My friend had that same problem with GC in his Corolla (i know i know... yucks). But it helped after he got struts for it (otherwise, it'd just bounce!).

My whole thought about using adjustable coil overs was this. The Maxima is a 4 door. Being a 4 door, you do take the car on trips with a full load (4 people) and a trunk full 'o sh*t. Also, I take the 'ol Max up to the snow to go skiing occasionally, and it'd be a pain to get chains/cables onto the tires of a lowered car. This way you can *level out* the car when it was loaded so it wouldn't sag.

I've been debating this myself for the longest time... either Sprint springs or OBX coil-overs. The OBX seem like it's a really good deal, but by just getting fixed height springs, I can optimize the alignment to one height. BUT if you mark/count the number of threads on the coil overs, you can always bring it back to the same height. I don't know... That's why I'm asking for advice and suggestions!

Thanks.

btw, being a corolla, it did look pretty sick droppoed 3"...

-V
Old 05-09-2001, 06:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

returns

i was thinking you can put them on yourself, instead of paying for labor. sorry for the confision. do you know if OBX has a website or any place on the net that sells these coilovers? i would like to do some research
-barto
Old 05-09-2001, 07:08 PM
ybelm620

try the cattman coilovers. they are the best available for the max, i have driven plenty of times in a max with them and they are great. worth every cent, if not try weapon-r they make one for the max. i have seen a car with them, and you could drop it from 1-3 inches, i do not know how it rides but the kid told me very stiff

Old 05-09-2001, 09:31 PM
SLOW

ground controls...

i have ground controls... the ride is stiff but not overly so. if you properly cut your bumpstops and have enough suspension travel... they are not harsh and perform quite well. unless you are going over major potholes, i'd think you will be happy with them. Ground control gives you the option of ANY spring rate you want... its costs like $40 extra... but if you want a softer spring than the 450/325 setup that they offer then you can get it... they are eibach springs by the way, so yes they are quality springs. i have KYB GR-2s, which are supposedly not the best dampening ability, and there is no bounce... they damp the 450-325 springs i have perfectly. if i were to go with a stiffer spring i would go with a stiffer strut as well though... but the GR2s work great for what i have.

Neal

BTW... weapon*R is crap, i wouldnt spend my hard earned money on them...
Old 05-09-2001, 11:02 PM

Why do people say the ground controls bounce? I dont understand
Old 05-09-2001, 11:46 PM

Because they do. Most people (including myself) drive with them slammed. Some people do it on stock shocks, which in my opinion is pretty messed up. Maximas have very little suspension travel as it is, so when the car is slammed, it's basically riding on bumpstop, hence the bounce. Another reason is that the spring rates are on the high side and so the shocks are underdamped. Right now, the only decent shock out there is Koni, Tokicos suck, AGX's aren't out yet, and nobody else makes anything. On my girlfriend's Integra, I recently installed a Ground Control/KYB AGX combo and that is amazing. Perfect damping, perfect spring rate. I think maybe Ground Control doesn't have their Maxima kit sorted out yet spring rate wise.

Also, Cattman's are nice, but break alot. I know someone with them and he's broken the back shock 2 or 3 times now. And several other people have broken theirs the exact same way, keep in mind Cattman won't warranty it. I wanted Cattman's until that unfortunate little problem came up.

Originally posted by MADMAN
Why do people say the ground controls bounce? I dont understand
Old 05-10-2001, 12:08 PM

Coo... Anbody every actually try the Weapon R kit?

It looks prety neat. It's height adjustable and uses dual springs... for 2 differnet spring rates?

-V
Old 05-10-2001, 07:03 PM
SLOW

2 springs

The 2 spring setup on the WeaponR is a gimmick. many HIGH END coilover systems use 2 springs, a main spring and a helper spring. the helper spring is the softer of the two. it is used to keep the springs properly seated under EXTREMELY hard cornering... as in cornering that is hard enough to lift a wheel of the ground. in the case of the weapon R, its there to imitate the high end coilover setups. the helper spring does nothing to improve the ride quality... it sits completely compressed when the car isnt on jacks, so it might as well not be there... since it does nothing. i'll restate my opinion on Weapon*Rs... they suck. I had my GCs completely slammed for about 2 days, and i had about 1/4 inch of suspension travel even with my bumpstops cut in half. i raised them up about 1 inch (2 reasons: 1) they looked ghetto like i had hydros or something, 2) the ride was horrible) and i cut the bumpstop in half yet again... now i have 1.75-2 inches of travel in the front... i only hit the bumpstop on the HARSHEST of bumps... and its extremely rare. So, if you arent planning on driving around with your ride slammed as low as it can go... but plan on raising or lowering the car often (like for shows or for winter) then i'd say get the GCs. if you dont plan on ever changing the height of your car once you have it lowered, go with whatever springs have the characteristics you like.

Neal
Old 05-10-2001, 10:42 PM

Re: 2 springs

Originally posted by Nealoc187
The 2 spring setup on the WeaponR is a gimmick. many HIGH END coilover systems use 2 springs, a main spring and a helper spring. the helper spring is the softer of the two. it is used to keep the springs properly seated under EXTREMELY hard cornering... as in cornering that is hard enough to lift a wheel of the ground. in the case of the weapon R, its there to imitate the high end coilover setups. the helper spring does nothing to improve the ride quality... it sits completely compressed when the car isnt on jacks, so it might as well not be there... since it does nothing. i'll restate my opinion on Weapon*Rs... they suck. I had my GCs completely slammed for about 2 days, and i had about 1/4 inch of suspension travel even with my bumpstops cut in half. i raised them up about 1 inch (2 reasons: 1) they looked ghetto like i had hydros or something, 2) the ride was horrible) and i cut the bumpstop in half yet again... now i have 1.75-2 inches of travel in the front... i only hit the bumpstop on the HARSHEST of bumps... and its extremely rare. So, if you arent planning on driving around with your ride slammed as low as it can go... but plan on raising or lowering the car often (like for shows or for winter) then i'd say get the GCs. if you dont plan on ever changing the height of your car once you have it lowered, go with whatever springs have the characteristics you like.

Neal
Thanks for the advice Neal and everyone else. I've been wondering 'bout those Weapon R's for the longest time. I think my only decision now is between the Spring springs for around $120 and the OBX Coil Overs for $225...

It'd be nice to have the Sprint and optimize suspension, alignment, etc... to one height. However, it then becomes a pain if you take your car to the snow or seat 4-5 people in it (it serves as my sedan since my other car is a Miata

-V
Old 05-12-2001, 03:57 PM

Re: returns

Originally posted by 95GreenGLE
i was thinking you can put them on yourself, instead of paying for labor. sorry for the confision. do you know if OBX has a website or any place on the net that sells these coilovers? i would like to do some research
-barto
check out www.obxracingsports.com

they make two series... I think one is the serious line (only very number of select cars) and then there's the gravitational line (it doesn't show it here, but they do have an app for a 4th gen max...)

-V
Old 05-12-2001, 04:44 PM

Coil overs

If you do get coilovers, remember to change your struts and shocks as well. The best out there right now is Koni. Tokicos are no better than stock. I had Tokicos and Ground Control. After 3 weeks, the shocks went bad - they couldn't hanlde the GCs. I got Konis now and the ride is better. I don't have my car slammed all the way down though.