4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Laly is growing up

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:48 PM

Laly is growing up

after owning 3 3rd gen, i finally purcahsed my first 4th gen maxima.

1997 white SE 5 speed. black heated leather, moonroof, climate control were some extras on there that i didnt really need. it has 85K on it. just needs a litte TLC. i did take some pictures but havent uploaded them to a hosting site. any recommendations?

this is my family car, so i dont plan on modded the crap out of it. i definately want to do suspension. i probably will only do breathing mods, intake and full exhaust from y-pipe to the muffler. for external mods, just some tints, cleared turn signal, debadging, some clear lenses up front and maybe headlights. i dont know too much about them, ive been doing some research on the cerifos, they look pretty nice. also rims, i have a set of 2k2s that i had on my 3rd gen. i dont konw if i should put those sell them and get some 18s. i do want to stay oem, so only maxima, g35, or z 18"s will go on.

any body got any pics with some oem 18s on their maximas. also some pics of some white ones would be nice too.

i will be doing maintenance this week. oil change and tune up. dont konw when the previous owner last did these things and i want to do them just to be on the safe side. any suggestions? thanks

joshua
Old 04-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how much you get it for laly?
Old 04-17-2005, 03:49 PM

Do the usual ... clean the TB, change the plugs -- you never know what kind of condition they'll be in after you buy a car.

I think that makes a difference if you want to do the AE mod to headlights etc, personally I think the dark colored max's look much better with no changes to the headlights. I love the look on my black 97, I've wet sanded and used meguiars plastic wax to make them look crystal clear. But with a white car, some contrast might look nice.

Sounds like money isn't too much of a problem, so you can go with whatever intake you like -- but if you want to save some you can hack the airbox.

DEFINITELY do the red/clear tails! Best appearance mod you can do for the cheapest price (what, like $4 for the acrylic light cover,) just be careful when baking the tails.

I've seen 18' g35 rims (sorry no pic) on a max and liked the look, but I also really like the look of the wheels you already have.

And why debadge? I think our trunks look much better with the MAXIMA logo at least, maybe get rid of the nissan emblem .. personally, I like both.

No matter what you do though, can't really ruin the beauty of a clean 4th gen max

Old 04-17-2005, 04:04 PM
The original VQ...

sounds like you got a plan, i have 17" G35 rims on the way with a debadged trunk, red clear tails and front clears, little thingsthat keep it clean.

As for the intake i would just hack up the stock air box. The other ones dont give you much better gains .

keep us updated
Old 04-17-2005, 04:13 PM

If its a family car don't hack the frigging airbox, just put in a K&N filter and forget about it. I suspect at 85K the spark plugs are probably good to go. Just take one out and have a look at it. Given that the car is stock, I suspect the OEM plugs were replaced around 60K with the OEM NGK platinums. If they're other than NGK plugs, give them the hook.

You might want to do a pH test of the radiator and flush it if necessary. I would also consider replacing the power steering fluid, clutch fluid and transaxle fluid if necessary.

What condition are the brakes in?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:17 PM
The original VQ...

[QUOTE=rmurdoch]If its a family car don't hack the frigging airboxQUOTE]

ya, you tell that to the other thousand members on this forms with intakes.

i dont know if you noticed but every maxima is a family car .
Old 04-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Chassis Freak

5-speed, black leather, on a white Max...sounds HOTT. Good find.

Debadge the Nissan logo on the trunklid as your first mod. Really makes the MAXIMA logo stand out better and looks less cluttered. Heat gun/hairdryer for a minute then use fishing line or dental floss and the residue comes off very easily.

Below pic just to show how much better it looks without the hamburger:

Old 04-17-2005, 04:40 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i would suggest not getting a full exhaust if you're going to use this as a family car. The catback itself yields little gains. Just get a y-pipe on that bad boy and you will be all set
Old 04-17-2005, 07:58 PM

jesus, i posted like 6 hours ago and got a bunch of responses already. well thanks for the info. i didnt know maxima owners cut up the airboxes. it was a big think when i owned a vw, but i didnt think there. i personally think that the airbox mod is better with a k&n drop in.

also thanks for the letting me know not to get the cat back, i definately want a ypipe. ill try just the y pipe and see how that works first.

brakes will need to be changed soon, any suggestions on pads. i use axis ulitmates on my se-r . any suggestions here?

thanks for the pics, also i do like the way the trunk looks with just the nissan sign debadged. that is what i will do.

i paid 5900 with one blown tire and drove it home on the doughnut. i think i paid a little high for it, but these are kind of hard to find especially with under 100k miles. what do you guys think about the price.

and for as it being a family car, duh, i know all of them are family cars. but all the people driving these dont have families. my real toy is my 91 turboed se-r. no hard feelings, i was waiting, and expecting, to be welcomed in the 4th gen family with a smart a$$ remark. it did sound pretty stupid now that i think about how i wrote it.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:03 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

good price josh. cant wait to see it?

did you go to the leroy oaks meet today?