4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can you help me daniel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 09:00 PM

I've been having a problem with my starter...it makes that overspinning, loud annoying sound that many people have complained about. I have not gotten a chance to regrease it because I don't want to do the project alone. This morning my car started fine, I drove somewhere...about a 20 minute drive. A few hours later, maybe like 3 hours I tried starting my car and it half way cranked. For the entire rest of the day, everywhere I went, my car would continue to do this and I would have to play with the key and give it gas to get it to start. I now the battery is not the problem, and my alternator was replaced at the dealership less than 3 months ago. Can the starter be causing this problem? Will regreasing the starter fix the problem??
Old 05-10-2001, 05:09 AM

?
Old 05-10-2001, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by Daddy Fat Sacks
I've been having a problem with my starter...it makes that overspinning, loud annoying sound that many people have complained about. I have not gotten a chance to regrease it because I don't want to do the project alone. This morning my car started fine, I drove somewhere...about a 20 minute drive. A few hours later, maybe like 3 hours I tried starting my car and it half way cranked. For the entire rest of the day, everywhere I went, my car would continue to do this and I would have to play with the key and give it gas to get it to start. I now the battery is not the problem, and my alternator was replaced at the dealership less than 3 months ago. Can the starter be causing this problem? Will regreasing the starter fix the problem??
You did not mention the model year of your Maxima or the odometer mileage. It helps to know such things.

You say "it half way cranked". You may know what that means, but I don't. Did you mean it cranked slower than normal? Did you mean it cranked briefly and then stopped, even though you still had the ignition key in the START position? Did you mean something else?

That loud overspinning sound is a symptom of a starter solenoid which fails to disengage promptly. Cleaning and lubricating all the internal parts which touch the starter drive mechanism will probably cure that ailment. This remedy is recommended for the owner who likes to do his own "wrenching". If you have a service professional do it he will probably charge about the same as he would for a remanufactured starter. That would be preferable because the reman unit would have a warranty.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
You did not mention the model year of your Maxima or the odometer mileage. It helps to know such things.

You say "it half way cranked". You may know what that means, but I don't. Did you mean it cranked slower than normal? Did you mean it cranked briefly and then stopped, even though you still had the ignition key in the START position? Did you mean something else?
When I say it half way cranked, I turn the key and it sounds like it is trying to crank, but it doesn't start. You get a similar sound when your car doesn't start because your battery is almost dead.

That loud overspinning sound is a symptom of a starter solenoid which fails to disengage promptly. Cleaning and lubricating all the internal parts which touch the starter drive mechanism will probably cure that ailment. This remedy is recommended for the owner who likes to do his own "wrenching". If you have a service professional do it he will probably charge about the same as he would for a remanufactured starter. That would be preferable because the reman unit would have a warranty.
I am aware that regreasing the starter will solve the overspinning noise symptom. My question is if the overspinning symptom may be the cause of my problem. I think I forgot to mention that after my car starts, I have no problems...the idle is fine, and the car drives good.
Thanks Daniel
Old 05-10-2001, 08:41 AM

When I say it half way cranked, I turn the key and it sounds like it is trying to crank, but it doesn't start. You get a similar sound when your car doesn't start because your battery is almost dead. ...
Please get a "jump start" using booster cables and another car. If your engine cranks eagerly then your battery, battery cables, and charging system are suspect. If your symptoms remain unchanged, then the starter is suspect. Your original post in this thread said "the battery is not the problem". Please keep an open mind on this point.

You still didn't tell the model year or odometer reading of your Maxima. There have been a lot of complaints about weak starters on the '95s. Later starters were of an improved design and are compatible with the '95 engine.

... I am aware that regreasing the starter will solve the overspinning noise symptom. My question is if the overspinning symptom may be the cause of my problem. I think I forgot to mention that after my car starts, I have no problems...the idle is fine, and the car drives good.
I doubt there is a direct connection between the overspinning symptom and the poor cranking behavior symptom. However, they could arise from separate defects inside the starter motor, and a replacement starter could fix everything.

Make the booster cable diagnostic experiment before spending any money.
Old 05-10-2001, 04:40 PM

definatly

Please get a "jump start" using booster cables and another car. If your engine cranks eagerly then your battery, battery cables, and charging system are suspect. If your symptoms remain unchanged, then the starter is suspect. Your original post in this thread said "the battery is not the problem". Please keep an open mind on this point.

You still didn't tell the model year or odometer reading of your Maxima. There have been a lot of complaints about weak starters on the '95s. Later starters were of an improved design and are compatible with the '95 engine.

I doubt there is a direct connection between the overspinning symptom and the poor cranking behavior symptom. However, they could arise from separate defects inside the starter motor, and a replacement starter could fix everything.

Make the booster cable diagnostic experiment before spending any money.

definatly, I agree 100%, my 95 starter did what you said when it was cold, the mechanism was not lubricated at all. if you take out the air intake system, take the starter out and lubricate the **** out of it, then it should work fine, it's about an hour to two hours of work, depending how good you are at mechanical things. but it's worth it, it's an awesome feeling knowing that you saved like $600 bucks because a dealer would want a $500 for starter and $70/hr for labor

that's my 3 cents later, let us know if it works
Old 05-10-2001, 11:02 PM

my car is a 95 with almost 90,000 miles, i'll do the jump start test tomorrow morning and let you know
Old 05-11-2001, 07:32 AM

my car is a 95 with almost 90,000 miles, i'll do the jump start test tomorrow morning and let you know
If your '95 Maxima still has the original starter motor, there's a good chance it is the source of trouble.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:10 AM

I just performed the battery jump start test and the battery is not the problem. I plan on regreasing my starter to see if that fixes the problem. you mentioned something about changes brushes in the starter. How do I do that? Where do I get them? What else do I need?
Old 05-11-2001, 12:39 PM

... you mentioned something about changes brushes in the starter. How do I do that? Where do I get them? What else do I need?
I don't know how to explain that. I think when you have the starter motor disassembled it will be fairly obvious. I've replaced brushes in GM starter motors and it was easy. The Delco-Remy (GM) brushes are available at most auto parts stores. I don't know if Nissan replacement brushes are readily available.
Old 05-11-2001, 09:29 PM

I don't know how to explain that. I think when you have the starter motor disassembled it will be fairly obvious. I've replaced brushes in GM starter motors and it was easy. The Delco-Remy (GM) brushes are available at most auto parts stores. I don't know if Nissan replacement brushes are readily available.
does this mean i have to order them from my local nissan dealer? i would like to have everything in place when i remove the starter. Thanks for all your help and patience.
Old 05-12-2001, 07:02 AM

What you can do.....

does this mean i have to order them from my local nissan dealer? i would like to have everything in place when i remove the starter. Thanks for all your help and patience.
is check around town that specializes in rebuilding starters/alternators. If you live in a big city, you should be able to find such a place. They may be able to help you out. Just get a quote beforehand so you will not get stuck with the "big chorizo".
Old 05-12-2001, 08:29 PM

don't order anything

dude, I don't think you need anything but regreasing it

just take it apart, grease it and you'll be on your way, and if that doesn't help then order the brushes or whatever you were talking about

Konstantin