4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 12:42 PM
dkbl97SE

This kid at my school who has a '96 GXE told me he put a chip in his Maxima that adds 30 horsepower. Does such a chip even exist, and if so, could he have put it in himself without reprogramming the computer?

Old 05-10-2001, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by dkbl97SE
This kid at my school who has a '96 GXE told me he put a chip in his Maxima that adds 30 horsepower. Does such a chip even exist, and if so, could he have put it in himself without reprogramming the computer?
There are chips which improve performance. Maybe 30 hp was claimed but I think that was exaggerated. Installing the chip is reprogramming the computer because the chip contains the programs.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:48 PM
MaxedOut97SE

I would think that a chip would do more harm than good. Why would you want to mess with the computer's programming? Raising the redline? That's a big no-no in my opinion. I dunno though, I could be wrong.

Old 05-11-2001, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
I would think that a chip would do more harm than good. Why would you want to mess with the computer's programming? Raising the redline? That's a big no-no in my opinion. I dunno though, I could be wrong.
The programs in the chip are used by the Engine Control Module to control the fuel mixture and spark timing through a wide range of operating conditions. The term operating conditions refers to things such as engine coolant temperature, ambient air temperature, barometric pressure, throttle position, engine rpm, exhaust stream oxygen concentration, etc. Under most combinations of operating conditions the programs seek to provide good fuel economy and minimize exhaust emissions. The intention of the aftermarket chip designers is to provide more engine power by making small sacrifices in fuel economy and emissions control.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Availablity

Where can you find them???
Old 05-11-2001, 10:16 AM
doz

Check out this group deal for 95/96 ECU upgrades it has all the info you need:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=38766
Old 05-11-2001, 05:04 PM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
Upgrading or optimising a Engine Control Computer program is done for all the same reasons you would do anything else to a car.

POWER

Not all "chips" or ECU upgrades are the same, so buyer beware, but if done properly it is in a lot of cases the biggest HP per dollar upgrade you can buy. The installation is simple so you can DIY, the upgrade hardware is invisible and it is a noticable improvement to the Maximas power, response and torque output. The reason for this is because Nissan, as do most other manufacturers besides Honda, Acura, detune the ECU program which lowers the output of an engine for various reasons. Most pre-production Magazine test cars, almost all, have tuned ECUs for a "true" power output.
You are correct about raising the redline it is not recommended for 99% of upgrade applications.

Old 05-11-2001, 06:19 PM
robert@gforce

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The programs in the chip are .........
A little mis-information needs to be clarified. I am in the "chip" buisness and have been in the automotive aftermarket industry, mainly in a technical position in manufacturing /distribution, for just over 10 years so I am qualified even though I don't own a Maxima.

The programs in the chip are used by the Engine Control Module to control the fuel mixture and spark timing through a wide range of operating conditions. The term operating conditions refers to things such as engine coolant temperature, ambient air temperature, barometric pressure, throttle position, engine rpm, exhaust stream oxygen concentration, etc.

The Engine Control Module or Engine Control Unit keeps the engine running optimally by using various sensor inputs to perform centralized control over EFI, ESA (spark advance) and ISC. Some ECM,ECU, VQ Maximas NOT included, keep the entire Engine Control Program on a PROM "chip" that can be desoldered and replaced.

Under most combinations of operating conditions the programs seek to provide good fuel economy and minimize exhaust emissions.
To elaborate:
Under most operating conditions, idle, cruising, and light throttle, the ECM,ECU will try to maintain a predetermined mixture. Under heavy to full throttle applications the EFI program reads straight from maps, the very maps optimized in our upgrade, for fuel and spark timing. Fuel economy and emissions are not involved when you jump on it.

The intention of the aftermarket chip designers is to provide more engine power by making small sacrifices in fuel economy and emissions control.
This is not true at all. As explained above under any decent throttle opening the EFI system reads off of a map to set spark and fuel so fuel consumption and emissions are not addressed by the ECM,ECU so they can not be effected. The truth is really the opposite of your statement. Many think that a car with an ECU upgrade will more power so it burns more fuel right? This is a really common Fallacy. The truth is that 9 out of 10 engine control programs run a super safe, super rich mixture to prevent detonation under WOT. Knock sensor signals are not used by the ECU under WOT (mostly because of noise) so some vehicles, mostly Turbo (probably the VQ30DET), will run up to a worse case of 10:1 A/F ratio. We usually tune Turbo cars to 11.5-12.5:1 (much leaner for NA apps)for a good balance of power and safety.
So most ECU tuned cars while making more power will run cleaner and use less fuel. Strange but true!