4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

is this remote mod possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:39 PM

is this remote mod possible?

is it possible to add an extra antenna or splice into the stock window antenna to further the range of our remotes?

^ i got the idea when i was looking at the FSM stuff.

<-- the unit is located in the right side of the trunk

i would think it would be easy since there is only 1 wire (the gray one) running to the cabin while the others ran up and behind the taillights. I tested this by unpluggin that single wire and pressing my remote and it worked when i was really close the car but not when i was far away. i followed this wire and it ran up to the rear deck where the seatbelt comes out on the rear passanger side. i figured i would follow the wire to see where it goes until i came to a dead end. the wire looked like it changes and connects into the rear window defroster.

<-- red line shows the path of the wire

when i unplug the wire from the back window to see what it'll do, the remote features still works. is this not the wire??

the other black wire in the picture (top middle) seems to be coming from somewhere in the trunk and comes out and runs along the head board.

i would really like to see someone also attempt this mod or figure out the problem or if i can just splice into the gray wire anyways to improve the range. is this mod possible?? its cool to show off your "window down" feature but it'll be even cooler if we can show them the "window down" feature from 1/4 mile away.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Donating i30 Owner

.... well seems like it worked cause ur close to the car.. did u uplug from window and trya bit farther away but not as far as with it plugged..? or is it same distance.. also... im shure there is an antenna in teh front.. but at the same time..

the logic is that u dont want it to work from too far..

cause what if say.. ur in ahh ur girls dorm.. she starts frisking u and stuff.. then all of a sudden she jumps on u in the heat of the moment.. her knee comes onto the key and she preses the unlock button.. or the window rolls down.. and some kid walking by sees ur brand new flip out screen.. hey nobody is around.. lets jsut take it.. OH NO... u come out after ur 30 mins of bliss... (3-4 hrs for me.... only cause im indian and the ways of kamasutra are instilled in me.. but im not bragging about my 8"L 1.7"W... (=..... heheh ) so u come outside.. and then notice OMG somebody stole my radio.. at which point u realize.. teh guy with the big **** said dont do this mod....

however what would u connect it to to extend the range....
Old 04-21-2005, 09:45 AM
be the change u want2C

^what an imagination, but so tru
Old 04-21-2005, 12:03 PM

lol HomerMAC!!!

i was thinking of either getting one of those car antenna but mine would actually work unlike those who buy them for looks. or even maybe buy any type of antenna to strengthen the signal and hide it in the trunk? if it is thin enough, you could maybe hide it in the headliner?

the main purpose would be to improve the range of the remote. even after getting some new batteries, i would like the range to be better.

-edited
i unplugged it from the back windshield again and decided to test the range. after unplugging it, it seemed to be the same as before. i walked about 20 feet away and i can still hear the trunk opening everytime i press it. BUT when i just unplugged the connector that plugs in the unit in the trunk, the range had significantly reduced to working no further than the front driver side fender. hmmm? any ideas?