4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What's wrong with this Maxima? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 01:06 PM

What's wrong with this Maxima? (video)

This is my friend's max...
Notice how it goes from 1st to 2nd back to 1st gear...
It's an Auto with a CAI & a Y-pipe.

Tranny problems?

http://republika.pl/wielkiwac1980/100mph.wmv

NOTE: This was filmed at an airport (that's where he works) no traffic...so don't flame.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:13 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

well i see 2 indicator lights ... i hope the red one isn't for seat belt .

CEL? maybe u should pull a code
Old 04-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Custom Molding King!

First off I can start by saying your speedo is way off and damn do I mean way off bro, 2nd the reason why he went from 1st to 2nd to first was because he had no traction and when in 2nd gear it grabbed traction and decided to go back into 1st because of that, with that said the speedo should not be saying 50 in 1st that is way off, and if he is at wot he should be redlining at 6500 it shouldnt be changing gears at 5000rpm, that tells me the guy who installed the guages ****ed up all the needles totally.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

geez, it sounds like he's straight f*cking that maxima up
Old 04-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Go Get a Life!

Wait First Off like Killer says the speedo is way off second you are not breaking the tires loose and then it shifts back to first NO. There is somethig wrong with the tranny maybe the A/T solenoid or something it's telling the computer for some reason to shift back down because it sensed that the car was not at it's proper speed for second gear. In the video you can see that the 1st gear pull was fine but as soon as it shifted it seems like it went to 3rd then back down to 1st then 2nd .....pull the codes something is wrong with the tranny it's obvious .
Old 04-23-2005, 03:25 PM

Link doesnt work. Takes me to another site that in a language I dont know.

I believe its saying you've used up all your bandwith.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:31 PM

Thanks guys.
Yeah, the website is slow.
You are correct on the interpretation (I think LOL)

So the needles might be f'd up huh?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:36 PM

Its a seatbelt and CEL light. Also, the tach on that car was being fruity.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:48 PM
MaximaDriver

Ok I just pulled out code.
Its P0141, which has nothink to do with tranny.
I tried to drive my car on 1st and 2nd gear. And it goes up to 6500 rpm.
What should I do next??
Old 04-25-2005, 05:55 PM

could it be the speed sensor prehaps? or maybe the TPS?...im just takin a shot in the dark here
Old 04-25-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by WielkiWaac
Ok I just pulled out code.
Its P0141, which has nothink to do with tranny.
I tried to drive my car on 1st and 2nd gear. And it goes up to 6500 rpm.
What should I do next??
By the way...this is the owner
Old 04-25-2005, 07:22 PM
wat

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
Wait First Off like Killer says the speedo is way off second you are not breaking the tires loose and then it shifts back to first NO. There is somethig wrong with the tranny maybe the A/T solenoid or something it's telling the computer for some reason to shift back down because it sensed that the car was not at it's proper speed for second gear. In the video you can see that the 1st gear pull was fine but as soon as it shifted it seems like it went to 3rd then back down to 1st then 2nd .....pull the codes something is wrong with the tranny it's obvious .

Basically he had no traction for awhile (hence the tachometer rising very fast), so when it went into 2nd, it was at a lower rpm. It seemed he let off the gas a bit so it could shift into 2nd, then slammed it again, but it was low enough to drop it into 1st again. Everything looks normal, except the speedometer looks off a bit imo. NOTHING is wrong with the transmission, that is normal behavior, some of you didnt pay close enough attention to notice. It was just bad driving that caused that weird result of a shift.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Bacon Lover

You'd swear you people have never driven or seen an auto tranny car before...
Old 04-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by BlueC

Basically he had no traction for awhile (hence the tachometer rising very fast), so when it went into 2nd, it was at a lower rpm. It seemed he let off the gas a bit so it could shift into 2nd, then slammed it again, but it was low enough to drop it into 1st again. Everything looks normal, except the speedometer looks off a bit imo. NOTHING is wrong with the transmission, that is normal behavior, some of you didnt pay close enough attention to notice. It was just bad driving that caused that weird result of a shift.
Oh yeah he had no traction all the way to 2nd let off the gas yup that's the power of the Ypipe and CAI he was slamn the gears in his AUTO with 300hp to da wheels.

Think before you start running your mouth,

Quote>>Basically he had no traction for awhile (hence the tachometer rising very fast), so when it went into 2nd, it was at a lower rpm.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

link doesn't work
Old 04-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Bacon Lover

Oh yeah he had no traction all the way to 2nd let off the gas yup that's the power of the Ypipe and CAI he was slamn the gears in his AUTO with 300hp to da wheels.

Practice what you preach...?

How do you know what the conditions of the pavement were? Last I checked if the conditions of a road/airstrip were bad, you could lose traction with only like..."50hp to da wheels y0"...assuming you were going faster than 10 MPH
Old 04-25-2005, 07:46 PM
wat

Quote>>Basically he had no traction for awhile (hence the tachometer rising very fast), so when it went into 2nd, it was at a lower rpm.
You seriously have to be kidding me. Did you not see him steering the car from the loss of traction? DID you not hear it in the video? Its easy to break traction in 1st gear, I should know, I HAVE AN AUTO with a ypipe....

He obviously let off the throttle a bit since he was losing traction, thats why it didnt goto redline then into 2nd gear.

It puzzles me why you would even doubt this if you watched the video, maybe you have hearing problems?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Go Get a Life!

I didn't here any wheel spin at all I drive an Auto with over 230whp and before that I had basiclly had his same setup I lost traction for a split second not long enough like your saying. In the video you can obviously see that the speedo and tach are way off it may assume that he's flying through revs but he's not it's way off duh.... second 1st gear was smooth all the way to second but for some reason it fell off he had the gas pedal all the way down the computer incorectly shifted then went back to 1st then 2nd. Why do you think he asked us why his tranny was ****#ed for fun no I'm sure he knows when he lets off the gas cmon commen sense...
Old 04-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Bacon Lover

cmon commen sense...
You'd be surprised...

Take for example your inability to spell a "common sense" word like...common.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Practice what you preach...?

How do you know what the conditions of the pavement were? Last I checked if the conditions of a road/airstrip were bad, you could lose traction with only like..."50hp to da wheels y0"...assuming you were going faster than 10 MPH
I don't need to know the video explaines itself..
Old 04-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Bacon Lover

I don't need to know the video explanes itself..
Really...so why isn't the video telling us what's wrong with the tranny?

In the video you can obviously see that the speedo and tach are way off it may assume that he's flying through revs but he's not it's way off duh
If it's so off...then why does it rise so fast some times and a normal rate others? You'd think if it was messed up it'd be all one or the other...and it's not certain RPM's that it goes fast or slow during either.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Go Get a Life!

Really...so why isn't the video telling us what's wrong with the tranny?
It doesn't it tells us that the tranny or something related is wrong. He says he had a CEL light so who knows but it is obvious something is wrong and he's asking us to help him but the video isn't enough to explain his problem it just illustrates it.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Bacon Lover

It doesn't it tells us that the tranny or something related is wrong. He says he had a CEL light so who knows but it is obvious something is wrong and he's asking us to help him but the video isn't enough to explain his problem it just illustrates it.
Note to self: never use sarcasm on Maxima.org again
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Go Get a Life!

the speedo was off he hit like 50mph in 1st and shifted at 5k..
Old 04-25-2005, 08:09 PM

link still doesnt work
Old 04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Go Get a Life!

Note to self: never use sarcasm on Maxima.org again
Old 04-25-2005, 08:20 PM
wat

the speedo was off he hit like 50mph in 1st and shifted at 5k..
I can tell you just by HEARING the engine going through 1st gear. it shifted well before redline. Yes the tachometer is off, but when it goes from 2nd to 3rd I can tell its at the correct redline, which shows at 5.7k rpm, going from 1st to 2nd it was at 5.2k rpm.

What it seems that really happened was, he let off the gas a bit after losing some traction, transmission sensed this to shift into a taller gear, while this happened he mashed the gas again after regaining traction. I've done this before, it makes perfect sense. That's how a automatic transmission works, if you let off the gas to, oh lets say 1/2 throttle, it will know to shift into the appropriate gear to accomodate that throttle position.

About him losing traction? Its clearly audible in 1st gear, why else would he be steering so far to the left for that part?

EDIT: Only proves my theory more, he tested this at an airport. Runway im assuming, that's a straight line test, so why would he be steering so much in the beginning? If he had traction, that would have shifted the shadows from the sunlight at a different angle since he'd be turning......
Old 04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by BlueC
I can tell you just by HEARING the engine going through 1st gear. it shifted well before redline. Yes the tachometer is off, but when it goes from 2nd to 3rd I can tell its at the correct redline, which shows at 5.7k rpm, going from 1st to 2nd it was at 5.2k rpm.

What it seems that really happened was, he let off the gas a bit after losing some traction, transmission sensed this to shift into a taller gear, while this happened he mashed the gas again after regaining traction. I've done this before, it makes perfect sense. That's how a automatic transmission works, if you let off the gas to, oh lets say 1/2 throttle, it will know to shift into the appropriate gear to accomodate that throttle position.

About him losing traction? Its clearly audible in 1st gear, why else would he be steering so far to the left for that part?

EDIT: Only proves my theory more, he tested this at an airport. Runway im assuming, that's a straight line test, so why would he be steering so much in the beginning? If he had traction, that would have shifted the shadows from the sunlight at a different angle since he'd be turning......
Well whatever I saw the video I didn't notice his steering input I have to watch it again.... I remember it sounded like 1st was cleanonly spinning for maybe a second I can't imagine him spinning his tires with CAI and Ypipe all the way up to 50mph or whatever it was it was quite long unless it was wet outside ...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:33 PM
wat

Well whatever I saw the video I didn't notice his steering input I have to watch it again.... I remember it sounded like 1st was cleanonly spinning for maybe a second I can't imagine him spinning his tires with CAI and Ypipe all the way up to 50mph or whatever it was it was quite long unless it was wet outside ...
You don't even know the facts, why don't you know what you are talking about before you start running your mouth off like that. Im not going to result to personal attacks, this one explains itself...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Go Get a Life!

You started being a **** at first so a replied I know what I saw but atleast I'm admiting I might be wrong and taking it like a man...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Go Get a Life!

Where is this fool with his results....??
Old 04-25-2005, 08:45 PM
MaximaDriver

Gas pedal was pushed all the way down. I didint take it off for any second.
I was testing my car again today afternoon. Always same think.
When I drive on D i still shifts at 5600 or less.
Tachometer works well. I ckecked it on 1st and 2nd gear. It cuts ignition at 6500rpm.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Go Get a Life!

I'm standing by my opinion there is somthing wrong with his tranny or related, it's shifting improperly and his speedo is Off ...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Go Get a Life!

did you spin the tires all the way to 2nd? as BlueC says..
?..
Old 04-25-2005, 08:48 PM
wat

Gas pedal was pushed all the way down. I didint take it off for any second.
I was testing my car again today afternoon. Always same think.
When I drive on D i still shifts at 5600 or less.
Tachometer works well. I ckecked it on 1st and 2nd gear. It cuts ignition at 6500rpm.
Did you break traction in 1st gear? Cause if you did, the transmission doesnt always react to that well, it would explain the strange shift.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:49 PM
wat

?..
I never said all the way to 2nd, watch the video and you will understand.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:54 PM
MaximaDriver

?..
Yes. All the way to 2nd.
And the gas pedal was pushed to the end.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
wat

Yes. All the way to 2nd.
And the gas pedal was pushed to the end.
I think the only code I could imagine that would be pulled is a "improper shift (1st to 2nd)". It really doesnt seem like anything is wrong with the transmission. It doesn't appear to be slipping, but the tachometer and speedometer is worrying me. But that really has nothing to do with the transmission, from how it sounds, the shift from 2nd to 3rd sounded exactly how it should be if its going all the way to redline. Nothing sounded out the ordinary besides the loss of traction and the transmission struggling to find a correct gear, thats an automatic transmission for ya. I know mine will do it sometimes if im pushing it hard.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:04 PM
MaximaDriver

Are you saying that everything is corect??
So why during hard acceleration it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear at 5600rpm??
Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
wat

Are you saying that everything is corect??
So why during hard acceleration it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear at 5600rpm??
Your tachometer and speedometer are off. I can tell when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd it was hitting the right spot just from the audible evidence, but the tachometer is off. Might have happened when you put in the gauges.

Thats the only thing I can think of, cause the speedometer is way off. I know you tested it out, but I still think you should get that checked out.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with this Maxima? (video)