4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

For those of you with clear tails...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 07:40 PM

I was wondering what color you are using for your turn signal bulbs. I was just pulled over by the cops for my turn signals and they told me orange was only allowed, but everyone else says red is ok. BTW im in chicago illinois. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2001, 07:56 PM
Administrator

i have regular bulbs in.. but you are just asking for trouble with red bulbs..

RED = STOP
Orange = Warning
STOCK = COPS don't know the diff if it came from the factory like that or not

who ever told you guys to use red in your turn signals? my god.. think people think
Old 05-10-2001, 08:08 PM

Why wouldn't red be allowed. Many cars come stock with red turn signal. Examples are Ford. Their brake lights flash when they signal.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:10 PM

for the rears red is ok for signal lights

not for the fronts though..thats a no no...

sprint: whos david's competition?? man they suck!
Old 05-10-2001, 08:14 PM
Administrator

ask the cop
Originally posted by gabuchu
Why wouldn't red be allowed. Many cars come stock with red turn signal. Examples are Ford. Their brake lights flash when they signal.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:55 PM

I have red in my front clear sidemarkers and i think it looks phat...i've seen a few cops and no tickets yet...
Old 05-10-2001, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Daddy Fat Sacks
I have red in my front clear sidemarkers and i think it looks phat...i've seen a few cops and no tickets yet...
dont jinx ur luck..
Old 05-11-2001, 02:58 AM
Administrator

drummer aka custommaxima.com aka greg .. the person who has an official banner

Originally posted by buss95max
for the rears red is ok for signal lights

not for the fronts though..thats a no no...

sprint: whos david's competition?? man they suck!
Old 05-11-2001, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
i have regular bulbs in.. but you are just asking for trouble with red bulbs..

RED = STOP
Orange = Warning
STOCK = COPS don't know the diff if it came from the factory like that or not

who ever told you guys to use red in your turn signals? my god.. think people think
I think red is ok. A VERY short time ago US auto makers were making only red rear signals. Its the european cars that had orange. Still now, theres some left, some '01 pickups, the '01 Mustang... No one told them that orange was for warning

Jack
Old 05-11-2001, 08:16 AM

What Sprint Max said.
Old 05-11-2001, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by cbock
What Sprint Max said.
If its your *opinion* that rear signals should all be orange, then fine. If you think its the law or something, let me introduce you to some hard criminals!

http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/c...ry_large_8.jpg
http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/c...ry_large_5.jpg
http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/c...ry_large_7.jpg
http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/c...ry_large_2.jpg
http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/c...y_large_12.jpg
http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/c...ry_large_3.jpg
http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/c...ry_large_5.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/7/332/936/0...k.r3-4.350.jpg
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/
http://a332.g.akamai.net/7/332/936/0...ures/40453.jpg
http://www.chevrolet.com/cavalier/ca...llery/main.htm
http://carpoint.msn.com/merismus/Gallery/c437224a.jpg
http://www.buick.com/lesabre/

Jack
Old 05-11-2001, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Problem with that is... those are DOT approved..

give me the DOT number that says you can have red turn signals in a maxima...

Old 05-11-2001, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
Problem with that is... those are DOT approved..
give me the DOT number that says you can have red turn signals in a maxima...
Give *me* the DOT number where it says *some* cars have to have orange and *some* can have *red*.

Since *when* does the law divide up different makes/models?

Why on earth would it be DOT approved to have RED rear signals on so many cars, and *I* can't remove the orange part of my own taillight and replace it with red? What diff does it make to the law? To safety? To common sense?

Supposing you are right, (I could look in the DOT regs and try to see where it says "made with orange has to stay orange", if you have it, lets hear from you!) would it be possible to come up with an all red lens somehow that the DOT would approve? What is the POINT of blocking only SOME red signals?

If it *is* so *unsafe*, then NO CAR would have red turn signals at all, right? but it just isn't so, is it?

It dawned on me that there's never been a 'made for the US' Corvette EVER made that has orange in the rear, Mustang too, and 100s of other US made cars. How many minivans have em? Any?

I think this is a lot like the other thread we had before on the rear clears, lots of opinion and little fact. If a cop tried to ticket me for it (as if) I'd ask him to take a little stroll to the rear of his OWN crusier, odds are theres no orange back there. But then I'd just get a ticket for something else like a bug on the windshield or a low tire or faulty bumper sticker, etc.

Jack
Old 05-11-2001, 11:12 AM

I have orange bulbs in my turn signals...no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:21 AM

color isn't exactly the issue

SprintMax got it right: this is an unapproved modification. The cop probably knows that Maxima's only have amber rear turn signals. So he knew this guy modified his lights in a non-DOT approved way. When lighting gets approval by DOT, there are very precise tests conducted (I have an uncle who works for the DOT). Yes, lights may be amber or red, depending on manufacturer. But DOT approval is a combination of the color and the "light throw" given by the lens. They have to meet very precise safety specifications. The stock Maxima turn signal was not DOT approved with red bulbs. So, using red bulbs is in violation.

Part of the reason why these strict codes exist is to help enforce a majority conformation. If the laws were looser, we'd see all kinds of assinine mods floating around--purple, green, and who knows what else color combinations.

Safety is of paramount importance.

I have clear corners in the front, with amber bulbs. If a cop noticed it (during the day) and pulled me over, he could easily ticket me. They're not DOT approved. But because they "generally" follow the DOT guideline, cops probably aren't as bent out of shape about it and leave me alone. Especially at night, as they throw amber light. Now if I had blue or white... much easier to spot the violation.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:26 PM

red = emergency vehicle
blue = copper

I have blue markers, blue corners, & hyper white signals. The rules in our town are that red and blue symbolize a emergency vehicle or cop. $85 a bulb if you get pulled over with blue or red bulbs. But since I'm under 18 I will only get a warning the first time. And until I get that warning I'm not changing my lights.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:35 PM

Re: color isn't exactly the issue

Originally posted by Gary95
SprintMax got it right: this is an unapproved modification. The cop probably knows that Maxima's only have amber rear turn signals. So he knew this guy modified his lights in a non-DOT approved way. When lighting gets approval by DOT, there are very precise tests conducted (I have an uncle who works for the DOT). Yes, lights may be amber or red, depending on manufacturer. But DOT approval is a combination of the color and the "light throw" given by the lens. They have to meet very precise safety specifications. The stock Maxima turn signal was not DOT approved with red bulbs. So, using red bulbs is in violation.

Part of the reason why these strict codes exist is to help enforce a majority conformation. If the laws were looser, we'd see all kinds of assinine mods floating around--purple, green, and who knows what else color combinations.

Safety is of paramount importance.

I have clear corners in the front, with amber bulbs. If a cop noticed it (during the day) and pulled me over, he could easily ticket me. They're not DOT approved. But because they "generally" follow the DOT guideline, cops probably aren't as bent out of shape about it and leave me alone. Especially at night, as they throw amber light. Now if I had blue or white... much easier to spot the violation.
Gary95 is right. When originally approved, the lights must put out a certain amount of light. If you take a look, some cars have be recalled after even 2 or 3 years because the light output of the lights wasn't up to spec. The manufactuers in some cases had to replace the whole light assembly on a series of cars.

I used to be a truck driver, and from what I remember, the red color can only be rearward facing/on the back of the car and white can only be forward facing/on the front of the car. For the rear, turn signals can be either color. If you notice on the integras, the earlier years were yellow, and the later years were red. Yellow lights can face any direction. They're used as clearance lights on large vehicles. The sides of vehicles must have one marker light on the front and one on the rear to denote the direction the car is facing. Hence if your lights don't wrap around, you'll notice a seperate amber/red marker on the bumper/fenders of vehicles without wrap around lights.

-V
Old 05-11-2001, 04:02 PM

hey sprintmax (david L)
I just put my 95-96 clear/red tails on my car yesterday. I gave DanNY my clear set,who in turn got YOU to paint them.
Well, I want to thank you because they look REALLY GOOD. The paint matches PERFECTLY, and at nightime, the light output matches 100%. You can't tell the difference at all. Your painting skills are unmatched.
thanks again,
Old 05-11-2001, 04:27 PM
Administrator

I am not David L.. we are just good friends.. but i know he does excelent work.. happy you like them
Originally posted by 95GoldMax
hey sprintmax (david L)
I just put my 95-96 clear/red tails on my car yesterday. I gave DanNY my clear set,who in turn got YOU to paint them.
Well, I want to thank you because they look REALLY GOOD. The paint matches PERFECTLY, and at nightime, the light output matches 100%. You can't tell the difference at all. Your painting skills are unmatched.
thanks again,
Old 05-11-2001, 05:26 PM

Re: color isn't exactly the issue

What confuses me is, if you clear out a portion of the taillights on the maxima, that is not DOT legal, but if you have amber bulbs thats OK? and red isn't? I have had red rear turn signals and amber as well as my current set-up of superwhite, superwhite being the brightest of them all. Never had a problem with any of the setups but i know my current setup is illegal. I would have to say that you could fight that ticket b/c the emitted light was legal. Getting into the whole DOT is really complicated and long and doubt any jurisdiction would go through the trouble to look it up for a misdemeanor offense. So i say fight it. You said you are in Chicago? huh, i live in the burbs and go regularly to Chicago...no problems there and any of the suburbs....yet.