4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Guys help me....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM

Guys help me....

tell me about a tq converter and if you have a bad one how serious is it to get it changed right away and what kind of $$ would i be lookin at to get a new one,also would it be better to get an oem one or an aftermarket if they even make an aftermarket tq converter..
Old 04-25-2005, 02:33 PM

dont have an auto but to help get the ball rolling. I'd suggest getting it changed right away, its what gets the power to the wheels if that goes . . .

They have aftermarket tqs but they are geared more toward racing and track use, so shifts will be harder, I'm sure theres one out there that isnt too hard on shift but speeds them up a bit.

my guess is atleast $600 to get it installed.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:35 PM

now if i got a vb modd would that do the trick?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Hooooooonda.....

No VB won't change **** and I have a very hard time believing your TQ converter is toast unless you drive like maniac and do neutral drops all the time. It might just be a slolenoid or something. Any codes?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:45 PM

thats the thing iam throwing a code for the tq converter i drive my car normal once and a while i get on it but never a N drop,is there something that i can look at that maybe is causing this code?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:03 PM

come on guys help me out here......
Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 PM

What is the code your pulling exactly. Like stated it could just be a slolenoid which is much cheaper to replace than the whole tranny or having to get a rebuild.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:47 AM

http://www.specriteconverters.com/street_series.asp
i found this which isent bad for a new tq converter i got to auto zone again and pull the code i pulled that code and o2 and fixed the o2 alrdy but now just dont know wha to do bout the tq converter if its reall that or not =(
Old 04-27-2005, 12:06 PM

come on guys a lil help here,theres got to be someone on this site who knows about this?????
Old 04-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

While it is possible for your torque converter to die, I doubt thats the problem. What makes you think your TC is dead?

Stick with a factory TC. An aftermarkert, high stall converter will waste energy and create more heat.

Let's get some more details: What are the symptoms?

My guess is that the TC is not locking up at cruise. I can explain more but first I need info from you.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:25 PM

well wen the car is in N or park its fine then wen iam at idle and sittin there the car starts to jerk and the rpms go low went to autozone and it threw a code for the tc but i know theres a good chance it might not be the tc that got screwed up might be something else but how do i go about this?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:38 PM

Ok, It's defintely the lock up feature of the torque converter.
Do some searching on "lock up" regarding torque converters.

I'd like to help more...but I'm at work right now
Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
No VB won't change **** and I have a very hard time believing your TQ converter is toast unless you drive like maniac and do neutral drops all the time. It might just be a slolenoid or something. Any codes?
im having the same problem, i get code at744, and yeh i drive the crap out of my car. im taking it in this week hoping its just a solenoid or something simple. i currently have the vb mod stage 3 but it doesnt seem to shift right now. with normal cruising it shifts fine and as soon as i stomp it it just revs
Old 04-27-2005, 01:11 PM

typo

Originally Posted by icedout
tell me about a tq converter and if you have a bad one how serious is it to get it changed right away and what kind of $$ would i be lookin at to get a new one,also would it be better to get an oem one or an aftermarket if they even make an aftermarket tq converter..
The TC's on the 4th Gen Nissan trannies have a major problem called, "shift shock" -- it's that shudder you feel at cruising speed (40mph) when the TC's lock-up. Ask any Nissan mechanic about it and they'll tell you that "shift shock" is just something you have to live with, that it is not a fixable problem, and that it is just one of those design flaws that Nissan did not correct until 1999 and beyond.

I know, because I had that problem and time and time again, this is what Nissan mechanics told me.

The stock TC's can also cause another annoying shudder whenever you are cruising along at low speed and tap the accelerator.

I also drove four cars that had this same problem.

Look into getting a new TC, but not an OEM.

I have seen new, modified TC's run for as little as $498 to as much as $1,800. My advice to you is to check into getting one of the modified TC's that does not cost an arm and a leg.

Sorry, but I do not have any links (for the lower cost TC's) handy to give you. However, you might try doing a search on Google using "performance torque converter" and see what pops up.

If your car is not suffering from the shift shock as I described, and is merely slipping or delaying in shifting, then a new TC is not what you need.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:57 PM

well i found the site that i linked up top not bad prices 2and change for one but should i bring it to a tranny place and see what they have to say about.Dr rip it does what you say once in a blue moon but when iam at idle the cars rpms lower and it feels like its goin to stall,if iam in N or P the cars rpms are fine and the only cel code iam throwing is one for the tc soo what would you do in my shoes go to tranny place see if its something other then the tc thats causing the code or just put a new tc in and see if its fine?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:04 PM

If you trust the tranny place, then go for it.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:12 PM

and if i dont know of a trust worthy place to go to just buy a new tc and hope thats the problem..
Old 04-27-2005, 03:39 PM

maybe then take it to a nissan stealership
Old 04-27-2005, 03:42 PM

or do a super-duper tranny flush. That may free up a solenoid plunger or something.
Did you find any info on how the lock up converter works?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:44 PM

looking but not comin up with anything useful.i did a tranny flush not 2 long ago dont thing that can be it....i dunno guess iam goin to have to go to somebody and see what they can find out and then try to fix it my self if i can
Old 04-27-2005, 03:59 PM

Is it possible your a/c comressor kicking in is sapping away enough power to bog the motor?

You motor has less reserve power in drive than neutral so it may be a coincidence.

I had a friend that had this problem on an s-10 blazer. He put up with it, and then it went away on its own.

I do not think you will hurt anything by continuing to drive it the way it is now.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:03 PM

yea i mean its only be acting like this for 2weeks now so i dont no what the hell it is iam sure i will get pissed enuff one day and fix it but for now wen i come to a stop i just drop it in N.iam sure once i take it to someone they will tell me whats up with it iam just hoping its not something big thats goin to cause to much $$$
Old 05-04-2005, 09:32 AM

so i brought it to the tranny place and he said it has nothing to do with the tc or the tranny for that matter and said i had to bring it to a performance shop because the cars to advanced for the machines he has there,because hes stuff is for stock cars only......so now i wonder what it could be...
Old 05-04-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by icedout
so i brought it to the tranny place and he said it has nothing to do with the tc or the tranny for that matter and said i had to bring it to a performance shop because the cars to advanced for the machines he has there,because hes stuff is for stock cars only......so now i wonder what it could be...
Isnt you car stock? How advanced is you car that they cant look at it? If your car is stock or just bolt ons they I'd say they dont know what it is and are giving you a BS answer just to send you on your way.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 AM

i figured it was a bs answer i have a full exhaust pr cail and ground wires as far as performance but this guy was tellin me that my cars not considered stock anymore and i have to go to a performance shop to get it looked at i mean its not a big problem the idle just drops and go back up but its annoying....so i guess now on to the performance shop wen ever i find one to go to but i c alot of pple of the board are havin this same problem iam havin very weird...