4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine question for Daniel B Martin....long...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hello Daniel.
I have a possible problem with my engine so i need your help.
Just to help you solve the problem here is what i have:
97 GXE auto 61000 miles, last oil change at 57000 miles.
Air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve changed at 57000 miles. SPark plugs replaced by the same NGK Platinum ones at 61000 miles.

Ok, my engine, under acceleration makes a harsh sounding noise, especially 2-3.5k rpm. It sounds like theres maybe some paper stuck in the air intake or something, but there is nothing there. I never had this before. I just recently noticed that it's just not as smooth as it was before. I'm clueless about what that can be. When accelerating the engine simply sounds rough, like a mustang v8 type of rough. Anyhow, i will be cleaning my throttle body next week. I was wondering what could be possibly be causing such harsh engine operation as all the necessary mainentanceparts have been replaced.
Please help me. Also, there are no check engine lights or anything like that coming up when i start the car.

Thanks for your help
Anton
Old 05-11-2001, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
Hello Daniel.
I have a possible problem with my engine so i need your help.
Just to help you solve the problem here is what i have:
97 GXE auto 61000 miles, last oil change at 57000 miles.
Air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve changed at 57000 miles. SPark plugs replaced by the same NGK Platinum ones at 61000 miles.

Ok, my engine, under acceleration makes a harsh sounding noise, especially 2-3.5k rpm. It sounds like theres maybe some paper stuck in the air intake or something, but there is nothing there. I never had this before. I just recently noticed that it's just not as smooth as it was before. I'm clueless about what that can be. When accelerating the engine simply sounds rough, like a mustang v8 type of rough. Anyhow, i will be cleaning my throttle body next week. I was wondering what could be possibly be causing such harsh engine operation as all the necessary mainentanceparts have been replaced.
Please help me. Also, there are no check engine lights or anything like that coming up when i start the car.

Thanks for your help
Anton
Thank you for the detailed report of symtoms.

Does the engine start readily and run well? Does it have normal power and acceleration? If so, I'd look for an exhaust leak as the source of this sound. It's hard to guess exactly where the leak is coming from. You may have to get the car up on a lift with the engine running and walk around underneath listening to every part of the exhaust system with a listening aid such as a rubber tube. Even though the sound will not be loud with the engine idling you will be able to find a leak with this procedure.

An obstructed exhaust system will make a curious sort of "vacuum cleaner" hissing or rushing sound and usually be accompanied by a loss of power, especially at higher engine speeds.