4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:33 PM

Loss of power

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a search and found a few posts (though short) about this topic in the general maxima forums but nothing very specific.

To start - I've checked my codes and I get the 5, 5 code (meaning no codes). My KS is about 6 months old, and again, no codes to indicate it's gone out. I only use premium 93 octane fuel. Last weekend I noticed that the service station where I change my oil had left my air filter unsecured, leaving a slight gap where it should have been sealed.. I only noticed this when I decided to do my own oil (so 3k miles since then) and replace my air filter and realized that the back two clips (facing firewall) were unsecured and there was a gap at the seal. I'm concerned but unsure how this may have caused, be causing my problems.

Here are my problems. In the last few weeks I've noticed that when I jump on the gas my car will kinda stall out.. But only when I gun it.. For instance, when getting on the interstate, if I keep the RPM's steady at around 2k to 3.5k the engine will purr and I'll gain speed steadily - just like my grandma... If at any time though I jump on it, and bring the RPM's up fast I'll get the surge of power (like I should) followed shortly by a sudden loss of power (like I shouldn't) that's usually followed by another short surge of power, and again a short loss of power. I'm not talking RPM's over 6000 or speeds over 50, this will happen if I'm at a stop sign and gun it, just as certainly as if I'm trying to pass a car on the interstate.

Here are my observations; Seems to happen when the engine is warm - cold engine and it usually gives me no hesatation, and purrs through the whole RPM band. I thought it might be bad gas so I stopped going to the usual place and got gas from 2 other places, same issues both tanks. I've tried little things like adding fuel injector cleaner to the fuel mix and yes, changing the air filter and securing the seal. I changed the fuel filter about 8 months ago, so hoping it's not that (fuel filter mounted at the firewall, incase there is more than one). I changed the spark plugs about 1 1/2 years ago.. Again, I'm not getting any codes so thinking probably not sensor failure related, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, was hoping one of you guys might share some insite with me on this. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Wild for Width

Could it be EGR or MAF sensor without throwing codes?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

check for leaks in the air intake and in the exhaust system. thats where i would start. then check to see if your injectors are working properly
Old 04-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Maxima_NRH
Here are my problems.

if I keep the RPM's steady at around 2k to 3.5k the engine will purr and I'll gain speed steadily - just like my grandma... If at any time though I jump on it, and bring the RPM's up fast I'll get the surge of power (like I should) followed shortly by a sudden loss of power (like I shouldn't) that's usually followed by another short surge of power, and again a short loss of power. I'm not talking RPM's over 6000 or speeds over 50, this will happen if I'm at a stop sign and gun it, just as certainly as if I'm trying to pass a car on the interstate.
You have faulty coil packs. I just went throught the exact same thing with my 99. No codes stored either. The surge is only noticed under a load (WOT) starts around 4K and surges power back and forth. Same thing happens from a stop with a punch of the throttle. I tried cleaning my coils, measured them, everything seemed just fine, car's idle was smooth. I eventually changed all 6 coils, it was a night and day differance in how the car pulled. The surge is gone and power is smooth all the way up over 6 grand once again.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:39 AM
cefiro_max99

Change your gas filter.

nice car,f'd up motor haha

Old 04-29-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You have faulty coil packs. I just went throught the exact same thing with my 99. No codes stored either. The surge is only noticed under a load (WOT) starts around 4K and surges power back and forth. Same thing happens from a stop with a punch of the throttle. I tried cleaning my coils, measured them, everything seemed just fine, car's idle was smooth. I eventually changed all 6 coils, it was a night and day differance in how the car pulled. The surge is gone and power is smooth all the way up over 6 grand once again.
Thanks njmax, that sounds exactly like the problem I am having.. Just checked the price at the O'Reilly auto parts store for 6 of these (in stock) and including TX tax total comes to 438.35.. Bit pricey. Did you go with dealer genuine Nissan parts or something like what I found? Any ideas on the cost for labor or is this a do-it-myself kinda job?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What ones are the faulty coil packs, Hashin or the Misto's ?? I forget what people said

-matt
Old 04-29-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by matty
What ones are the faulty coil packs, Hashin or the Misto's ?? I forget what people said

-matt
Hashins are the faulty ones

You can usually buy replacements on eBay for pretty cheap...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:47 PM

same problem

just got my car 3 weeks agoso I don't know him very well....when the car is cold, everything's fine...when it's getting at normal driving temp, it seems to hesitate when I'm trying to pass over a stop sign in 2nd gear (around 1000 rpm untill 2300 rpm)...I changed my plugs last week and my exhaust (for a flowmaster) and the problem is still going on...when I gun it (cold), it pulls really hard 'till the redline and when hot, seems to be reaaallly slow to get up to high rpm's..that's probably why my friend with a 2000 celica gt-s is eating me all the time like that....do you think it could be anything else than the coil packs?? It seems to be pretty expensive just for a guess....help me please!!!

thanks!

J-P
Old 04-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Coil packs are very easy to replace, don't have to remove anything to get to em. Injectors on the other hand, all you gotta do is remove the intake.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:12 PM

The faulty ones are the one's on your car
Old 04-29-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm ATX and I was about to but all my coil packs as well and I found out that it was my clutch...
Old 04-29-2005, 04:29 PM

doesnt sound like ur coil packs...because its happening only when the car is warm. Could it be a clogged cat maybe? vaccum leak possibly too. i dontk now about the 99's too much but i do know they did have coil pack problems but i would think u would throw a CEL for that.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

On my 96 had some what the same problem, no CEL, I start check Sensors, I found my Knock Sensor cracked, I'm getting a new Knock Sensor ($ 170.00)
Old 04-29-2005, 05:24 PM

theres a group buy for knock sensors!!! OEM NISSAN ONES TOO!!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Maimaxima
On my 96 had some what the same problem, no CEL, I start check Sensors, I found my Knock Sensor cracked, I'm getting a new Knock Sensor ($ 170.00)
I replaced my KS a about 6 - 8 months ago with a new one. I'm confident it's not the KS.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maimaxima
Thats about $75 too much

-matt
Old 04-30-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima_NRH
I replaced my KS a about 6 - 8 months ago with a new one. I'm confident it's not the KS.
It could be that you KS is to tight.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey maximaNRH believe it or not njmax is very correct, when u dnt have a load on it the coils run fine but once u put a load on it like trying to launch from a redlight or jus tryin to pass someone n u WOT then it surges like crazy. another thin u cud do if u dnt feel like buying coilpacks or depending how many miles u have on it is take out ur coilpacks n wrap them in electrical tape but u have to do it very nice n neat maybe couple rounds on the top boot n bottom boot cuz if u wrap too much its not gonna fit back into the hole n u wud notice a difference when ur done. good luck bud
Old 03-20-2010, 02:05 PM

dude seriously...