4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New here, gonna buy a maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 04:08 PM

I have a 95SE, 5-speed, that I've owned since day 1 (10 years 7 months). It has 58K, mostly highway miles on it.

The only problems I've ever had are: new 02 sensor on warranty about 7 years ago, new battery, recharge air conditioning 2 years ago, new front headlight bulb, replace oil sensor unit (cost peanuts), and recently a right rear seized brake caliper (replaced both rears). I still had 40% left on the brake pads, but was told not using the parking brake contributed to the seizing of the caliper piston.

I still have the original tires and spark plugs and don't anticipate any significant problems until I hit 90 or 100K. The front brakes are probably good until 90K+ the way I'm going.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Chief Brody
I wouldn't characterize the Bose system quite that harshly. My volume **** is funky sometimes and my skip backward button is broke, but it still sounds quite good for a stock system. And like someone mentioned, you cannot just change the speakers by themselves because of the Ohm issue.
I second that statement about the Bose system. I have the same exact problems on mine (funny volume **** behavior, and the skip track backward button is about to fall off). It sounds better than really cheap base system, but it really isn't anything to be that excited over.

Maxima engines routinely see mileages well over 200k so you have little to worry about in terms of that. As with any used car with over 100k miles, small things are going to always need replacing eventually. Personally I would definately classify the Maxima as having above average reliability.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Decker87
Wow, Bose lost a lot of respect from me...

Anyway, and maybe this is naive, but I'm getting the impression that there are a lot of problems with maximas from all the threads about it...it IS more reliable than most cars, right?
Yup, Consumer Reports rates it very highly as recommended used car. You'll find many for sale with really high mileage. The engine has one multiple awards and apart from a few smaller issues it is a very reliable car. I did tons of research before buying mine and this is one of the more reliable vehicles you'll find. Plus its pretty darn cool.

Check out:
Epinions.com
and
CarReview.com
and you can find lots of reviews for used Maximas. I spent many hours on the internet while shopping!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
R34

I'm new to maxima too. I just read and read and read before spending money on any mods. Use the correct judgement and find as much info as possible, then do the mods. Just my .02
Old 05-04-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chief Brody
I wouldn't characterize the Bose system quite that harshly. My volume **** is funky sometimes and my skip backward button is broke, but it still sounds quite good for a stock system. And like someone mentioned, you cannot just change the speakers by themselves because of the Ohm issue.

Other than that, try to get a 5 speed!
I wasnt talking about the BOSE...I was talking about the stock system on the GXE and SE...it really is paper i'm not being sarcastic lol