4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

14.51 @ 94.53mph bone stock 95 5spd? BS? No.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice Numbers. Really Nice, but like Armani. I kind of find it hard to believe that a bone stock 4 gen is able to do that. 14.9 possibly, 14.8 if you have a supercar but 14.5x. Wow that's fast.

Now I have a lot of respect for Neal and I don't thing he's the type of person that would make this up.

I just think we are being a little hard on Armani for sharing his thoughts.

I did a little research and found the hp calculator:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

Looking at this it would take ~200 hp to the wheels to push a 3100 lbs car a 1/4 mile in 14.53sec. Now the consensus for stock at wheel hp for 4gen maxs are 159 - 163hp tq is ~174 +/-2. Give the track conditions were perfect and the car was just powerful. We'll add + 10% to the wheel hp. For a total of 179hp so 14.9 is definately reachable but 14.5 hmmmm.

Oh well. I haven't even got my car into the 14's Bad driver probably.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:43 PM

um can i say wow.. Simply amazing. Where do I sign up for the driving lessons neal?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:59 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Blade_99SE
Nice Numbers. Really Nice, but like Armani. I kind of find it hard to believe that a bone stock 4 gen is able to do that. 14.9 possibly, 14.8 if you have a supercar but 14.5x. Wow that's fast.

Now I have a lot of respect for Neal and I don't thing he's the type of person that would make this up.

I just think we are being a little hard on Armani for sharing his thoughts.

I did a little research and found the hp calculator:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

Looking at this it would take ~200 hp to the wheels to push a 3100 lbs car a 1/4 mile in 14.53sec. Now the consensus for stock at wheel hp for 4gen maxs are 159 - 163hp tq is ~174 +/-2. Give the track conditions were perfect and the car was just powerful. We'll add + 10% to the wheel hp. For a total of 179hp so 14.9 is definately reachable but 14.5 hmmmm.

Oh well. I haven't even got my car into the 14's Bad driver probably.
Those horsepower calculators are grossly inaccurate. 200whp would put a 3100lb car in the high 13s at about 102mph. Lots of guys on here (including me in my old car) have shown that. Myself, 96sleeper, speedemn, etc.

I keep stressing this but I think most people are reading right over it... the thing that separated this run from my previous 14.8 was much better weather conditions and a much better launch. The trap speed is what tells you how much power you are making, not the ET. My highest trap speeds this time were only 1mph higher than my highest trap speeds back 4 years ago when I went 14.8 stock.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It doesn't work that way. His car isn't pushing more than 16x at the wheels. No stock 4th gen will ever see 200whp. Calculators generalise things too much. They generalise shifting, 60 foots and conditions.

Oh well. I haven't even got my car into the 14's Bad Driver
No, just average. Most stock 4th gens do low 15s.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:09 PM

I know first hand about weather, I don't even go to the track anymore unless the weather is gonna be perfect. Horsepower calculators are terribly wrong also, don't bother with them.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:24 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Way to go! What kind of tires do you have? Very nice 60 foot for street tires!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:24 PM

i have read in a magazine article about how older cars can become faster than newer cars. the reason for this is because as a car gets older, carbon builds up inside the combustion chamber and this causes an increase in compression, so as a car gets older, the compression ratio might go up slightly or just enough so you can actually have an old car that makes more horsepower and torque than a newer car.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by maximazation
i have read in a magazine article about how older cars can become faster than newer cars. the reason for this is because as a car gets older, carbon builds up inside the combustion chamber and this causes an increase in compression, so as a car gets older, the compression ratio might go up slightly or just enough so you can actually have an old car that makes more horsepower and torque than a newer car.
Older maximas are definately stronger, I think all of the faster ones are higher mileage.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Doc

Maxima...like a fine wine, gets better with age. I love it, baby. I hope mine lives to a ripe old age of 200k miles, cuz it just keeps getting better.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by 96sleeper
Older maximas are definately stronger, I think all of the faster ones are higher mileage.
yes mine had about 200k with my 13.82
Old 05-05-2005, 07:50 PM

AMAZING!!!!!!! how far do you let off the gas (if any) when you shift to the next gear?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 PM

Neal - You should try racing it at a different track and see if you get similar results.

94mph IN A STOCK 4TH GEN IS SICK!!!!

I trapped 93.8mph with a ypipe shifting like a madman in 40 degree weather and low humidity!!!!! I don't understand how you can trap even more than that 1-with out a ypipe 2-higher temp and 3-heavier car

SOME THINGS ARE JUST NOT MEANT TO BE UNDERSTOOD.

You're probably a sick driver and I hate to say this but, I think it's the track. If you run that 14.5 @ 94 here in Englishtown, NJ Raceway Park, I'll bow down to you.

Good job tho keep it up!

-Paul
Old 05-06-2005, 12:18 AM

Good job mayun keep it up. You definantly have a factory freak in your hands.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:16 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by aznsap
AMAZING!!!!!!! how far do you let off the gas (if any) when you shift to the next gear?
I try not to lift at all. Sometimes I forget at the beginning of the run not to lift, on the 1-2 shift usually. Typically I remember right after lifting not to lift on the next shifts. I make a conscious effort because if I don't I automatically lift for a fraction of a second. I don't recall whether I lifted or not on the 1-2 shift on my two best runs or not. I know on my first run I lifted each shift before I remembered not to, and I think I did the same thing on my 2nd run also. From then on I THINK they were mostly no-lift shifts.

I didn't used to do this, when I ran 14.8 stock back 4 years ago all shifts were lift-throttle shifts. I don't recall exactly when I started trying to do lift-throttle shifts, but I think it definately helps a little bit, nothing spectacular, but you could probably notice it in a timeslip somewhat if everything else remained completely consistent.

Oh I forgot to mention, as my black car got faster, or on days when the track wasn't as sticky, I did purposely lift the 1st shift because otherwise it resulted in too much wheelspin (on street tires). Also in the turbo car on street tires I will not be doing no-lift shifts at all on street tires I don't think.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:31 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I didn't used to do this, when I ran 14.8 stock back 4 years ago all shifts were lift-throttle shifts. I don't recall exactly when I started trying to do lift-throttle shifts, but I think it definately helps a little bit, nothing spectacular, but you could probably notice it in a timeslip somewhat if everything else remained completely consistent.
You mean no lift-throttle shifts right?

Oh I forgot to mention, as my black car got faster, or on days when the track wasn't as sticky, I did purposely lift the 1st shift because otherwise it resulted in too much wheelspin (on street tires). Also in the turbo car on street tires I will not be doing no-lift shifts at all on street tires I don't think.
You ever venture out onto a road course with the turbo? And if so, do you left foot brake to keep the revs up? The only turbo thing I have been on the track with is a 93 RX-7 turbo, and that has sequential turbos, one is always spinning so when the other spools up it's almost unnoticeable. I trail brake my max off turn 1 at pocono, it rotates a little, which is a little sketchy at 90mph, but stock brakes actually work fairly well for the track.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Maximoneypit

I try not to lift at all. Sometimes I forget at the beginning of the run not to lift, on the 1-2 shift usually. Typically I remember right after lifting not to lift on the next shifts. I make a conscious effort because if I don't I automatically lift for a fraction of a second. I don't recall whether I lifted or not on the 1-2 shift on my two best runs or not. I know on my first run I lifted each shift before I remembered not to, and I think I did the same thing on my 2nd run also. From then on I THINK they were mostly no-lift shifts.

sorry if this is a noobish question but ive never heard of this being done before. so youre saying that you actually keep the pedal floored when you throw the clutch in to change gears?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MaximaConvert
sorry if this is a noobish question but ive never heard of this being done before. so youre saying that you actually keep the pedal floored when you throw the clutch in to change gears?
That's right. haha Now we are going to have a bunch of threads in the near future entitled, "My tranny broke while I was trying to power shift". Just messing. But yeah, it's not good to treat any car like that. But if you have the driving skill and you want the best time possible, 'no lift shifting' helps.

I power shift everytime when I drive around town. It just instantly snaps into the next gear without me letting off the throttle. I love it!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:47 AM
SLOW

Yes I keep it on the floor the entire run when I remember to. Naturally I don't though so I have to make a conscious effort to do that.

I have never had the turbo car on a road course I've only had it since winter. It will be a long time before it's in any shape suspension-wise to be on a road course. I don't want to go lumbering through the twisties and then blasting down the straight with no brakes to stop me or tires to keep me on the track. I took my old car on the road course many times though, and I heeltoe to keep the revs matched on downshifts for engine braking and smoothness.

edit: spelling error
Old 05-06-2005, 06:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

nice work...i want to run at that track myself!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:39 AM
this place is dead

Yes I keep it on the floor the entire run when I remember to. Naturally I don't though so I have to make a conscious effort to do that.
With no clutch or just slam through with a little clutch? A friend of mine used to do something he called half-clutching, he would push the clutch as he started a shift but immediately let go when it was into the next gear. He was also a terror on trannys, and clutches, and whatever else. He also drove to a street race with no shocks because he figured it would sit down better, well it did, until the wheel hop started, he still won however.
I have never had the turbo car on a road course I've only had it since winter. It will be a long time before it's in any shape suspension-wise to be on a road course. I don't want to go lumbering through the twisties and then blasting down the straight with no brakes to stop me or tires to keep me on the track. I took my old car on the road course many times though, and I heeltoe to keep the revs matched on downshifts for engine braking and smoothness.
Stock brakes work, maybe not with a turbo's speed though. As far as tires go, the balder the better, or just run R-compounds. The Se's suspension is ok stock, I don't know about any other models. The problem is the tiny little cars like miatas can catch up to you mid-way through twistier courses until you hit the straight, then they absolutely suck wind. I still want to beat a mini-cooper(ANY mini-cooper) in GS auto-x before I start screwing with my supsension too much to bump me out of that class.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
That's right. haha Now we are going to have a bunch of threads in the near future entitled, "My tranny broke while I was trying to power shift". Just messing. But yeah, it's not good to treat any car like that. But if you have the driving skill and you want the best time possible, 'no lift shifting' helps.

I power shift everytime when I drive around town. It just instantly snaps into the next gear without me letting off the throttle. I love it!
lol - yea i wouldnt dream of trying it as new as i am at driving stick. hopefully ill be that good someday - until then i think it will prob be in my best interest to keep my tranny in one piece.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Lightly modded

Well now I think we all know why Neal is so much faster than everybody else: no-lift shifting. I want to try it out....but I'm scared. Neal, that means you have to shift really fast, right?
The secret is out
Old 05-06-2005, 11:57 AM
SLOW

I use the clutch and I think it goes to the floor, I don't know I don't really pay attention to the clutch or shifter I just do those naturally, I just don't lift off the gas when I can remember not to.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:29 PM

Those are awesome results Neal. Also you had some good help from the weather conditions, it shows that density altitude was -590ft ASL and that helps the engine produce 6.4% more power. Given a stock dyno of around 160whp on an average day, on this day you made close to 170whp due to weather. All in all its a great time. I wish my car would run that fast.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:29 PM

isn't no-lift shifting also called power shifting?

also, when you power shift, dont you hit the rev limiter? i read that you do it just before redline and really fast so you wont hit the limiter, but im not too sure
Old 05-06-2005, 04:41 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

yea do you hit the rev limiter?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
You have an automatic, how does that work? Even when manually shifting an auto why would you ever let off the gas?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
You have an automatic, how does that work? Even when manually shifting an auto why would you ever let off the gas?
SO the car jerks and it looks like you are a bad manual driver
Old 05-06-2005, 07:00 PM
NWP Engineering.com

haha I was hoping someone would ask. I was just kidding.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:27 PM

how the heck did you do this neal? damn i bow to you. I have been pulling my hair out all night trying 2 break into the 14s with my i/y setup. I ran best 15.05 tonight. Here is the details:

Pass 1
ET 1/4: 15.0574
R/T: .728
Trap: 84.26
60 ft: 2.4

The track is known to be "uphill." It looked very possible to reach the 14s but then ever run after that went up.

Here are the rest of the runs:

Pass 2

ET 1/4: 15.17
R/T: .425 ( i know, lol the TT supra next to me intimadated me, i needed a jump!)
Trap: 90.6
60 ft: 2.1

Pass 3

ET 1/4: 15.22
R/T: .523
Trap: 92.1
60 ft: 2.24

Pass 4
ET 1/4: 15.38
R/T: .617
Trap: 92.08
60 ft: 2.32

i really want to hit the 14s. Everyone laughs at me when i say i can hit the 14s. I dont know what im doing wrong. Like in pass 3, i had an almost perfect r/t, my 60 was prety good, trap was good, but the ET just sucks *****. Im shifting right b4 redline.

you got any pointers?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by sean05
how the heck did you do this neal? damn i bow to you. I have been pulling my hair out all night trying 2 break into the 14s with my i/y setup. I ran best 15.05 tonight. Here is the details:

Pass 1

The track is known to be "uphill." It looked very possible to reach the 14s but then ever run after that went up.

Pass 2

R/T: .425 ( i know, lol the TT supra next to me intimadated me, i needed a jump!)

Pass 3

Pass 4

i really want to hit the 14s. Everyone laughs at me when i say i can hit the 14s. I dont know what im doing wrong. Like in pass 3, i had an almost perfect r/t, my 60 was prety good, trap was good, but the ET just sucks *****. Im shifting right b4 redline.

you got any pointers?
r/t has nothing to do with your e/t. and a .424 r/t is not horribly bad. Your 60' times are great esp the 2.1-very hard to do. You just have to shift faster it shows becuase your 92mph trap speed shows your making power. 14.6 is possible.

-Paul
Old 05-07-2005, 02:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

sean05 you posted this in the 1/4 mile section already and seem to be getting the same feedback, doesn't that tell you something ...
Old 05-07-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
sean05 you posted this in the 1/4 mile section already and seem to be getting the same feedback, doesn't that tell you something ...
no not really... some people dont travel much over to the 1/4 section much.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Well Neal, this makes me want to send you your ECU back for you to try it for a few runs. Absolutely incredible times!!! Please just think about how much a Y-pipe/VI/ECU and slicks would do for you. (actually you probably already know better than any of us!!)
Honestly, what do you think you would have run with slicks on that day?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:09 PM
SLOW

Well every time I put on the slicks i ran a consistent .4s better than on street tires so at least a 14.2 probably 14.1
Old 05-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sean05

Pass 1

Pass 2

Pass 3

Pass 4

you got any pointers?
First of all..your traps are very inconsistant, which means you either have shifting issues or your car is heat soaking BAD and you're not giving it time to cool down between runs.

Second, don't shift at redline, the power on a stock intake manifold 4th gen falls off HARD after 5500rpms...I'd try shifing at redline on the 1-2 shift, 6200 on the 2-3 shift, 6000 on the 3-4 shift....that should help you too. Back when I first started drag racing, I couldn't get into the 14s with intake/ y-pipe and exhaust on my old 97 SE...all it took was some practice and better conditions and I was well into the 14s. Keep going at it..and skip a trip to the track if it's going to be well over 70 degrees and high humidity or low barometric pressure.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
First of all..your traps are very inconsistant, which means you either have shifting issues or your car is heat soaking BAD and you're not giving it time to cool down between runs.

Second, don't shift at redline, the power on a stock intake manifold 4th gen falls off HARD after 5500rpms...I'd try shifing at redline on the 1-2 shift, 6200 on the 2-3 shift, 6000 on the 3-4 shift....that should help you too. Back when I first started drag racing, I couldn't get into the 14s with intake/ y-pipe and exhaust on my old 97 SE...all it took was some practice and better conditions and I was well into the 14s. Keep going at it..and skip a trip to the track if it's going to be well over 70 degrees and high humidity or low barometric pressure.
i believe my shifting has a lot to do with it. i will try out those shifting points. my car is cool b4 i run it again. I did the manual fan rewire which cools it never quick. And my car is defiently cool after all the outlaw cars run and i wait for them. Where can i find what the barometric pressure and humidity is?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Briguy is such a newb and neal brakes oil pan bolts. j/k
I hadn't had a chance to meet Neal yet, missed him by a day, but I met Brian, very goofy. Cool guy and I know both of them know their stuff.
Btw, I ran 15.4-15.1 at the track with 94-95mph trap speeds and >2.35s 60' times. I suck.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:48 PM

haha its all good!
Old 05-08-2005, 08:08 PM

Briguy is such a newb and neal brakes oil pan bolts. j/k
I hadn't had a chance to meet Neal yet, missed him by a day, but I met Brian, very goofy. Cool guy and I know both of them know their stuff.
Btw, I ran 15.4-15.1 at the track with 94-95mph trap speeds and >2.35s 60' times. I suck.

Quick Reply: 14.51 @ 94.53mph bone stock 95 5spd? BS? No.