4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clicking noise from Eibach Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 06:19 AM

Clicking noise from Eibach Springs?

i recently installed eibach pro and gr-2 and i can hear a clicking noise from the front springs everytime i go over a speed bump. sounds like metal hitting metal. during normal drive, theres no unusual sounds. anyone have any idea what this sound is? thanks.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by browne
i recently installed eibach pro and gr-2 and i can hear a clicking noise from the front springs everytime i go over a speed bump. sounds like metal hitting metal. during normal drive, theres no unusual sounds. anyone have any idea what this sound is? thanks.
you rubber insulator thing could be worn out. The rubber that goes on the top of the spring inbetween the top coil and the spring perch. Just an idea.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:18 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Get some coil wrap from the electrical dept of Home Depot and wrap your springs like this:

Old 05-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Offset Is Everything.

you may also want to use lithium grease on the spring perch and upper strut mount to minimize the chance of noisy springs.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
you may also want to use lithium grease on the spring perch and upper strut mount to minimize the chance of noisy springs.

it shows in your sig u have GC...how u like them?!!??!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The spring is probably not seated evenly in the upper perch or the perch isn't clocked correctly. The word OUT which is stamped on the top of the upper perch should face outwards or be in line with the struts lower mounting flange.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:46 AM

thanks for the tips... dont remember the word "Out" on the springs but ill check again.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:52 AM
SomePsychoGuy

On my Eibachs there was just the label that said Eibach Pro kit. I think I put the wording facing out.

I bought a bag of that wire wrap stuff from Radioshack. I wrapped my springs with them about 2/3s of the way or more. I used the entire bag. My springs don't make any noises but now I have to figure out where the other rattles are coming from.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by h2kSPiG
On my Eibachs there was just the label that said Eibach Pro kit. I think I put the wording facing out.

I bought a bag of that wire wrap stuff from Radioshack. I wrapped my springs with them about 2/3s of the way or more. I used the entire bag. My springs don't make any noises but now I have to figure out where the other rattles are coming from.
wrapped them from bottom up?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by JOMAN
it shows in your sig u have GC...how u like them?!!??!
its really nice. very very solid handling but not a happy ride on bad roads. plus if you drop it a lot youll only have like an inch of front suspension travel before you hit the bumpstops. i havnt bottomed out yet! but overall im very happy. just slap on some lithium grease where the springs sit on the collar and the top hat and you wont have a problem with noisy springs. only problem is that you have to make sure the top hat fits right into the upper strut mount each time you raise and lower the car. not too much hassle tho. the rears are a PITA to adjust since the spring sits waay behind the wheel and you have to raise the car to get under it to adjust. ive only had the set up for a couple months but im satisfied.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:05 AM

your eibach says prokit on them?? mine just say eibach
Old 05-06-2005, 10:06 AM

The spring gets orientated (clocked) by the notch on the struts lower spring perch. It doesn't matter which way the words face on the springs as long as the're not upside down.

browne - from that comment in your last post about not seeing or paying attention to the word OUT makes me 100% sure that the upper perch isn't clocked correctly. That will cause the spring to sit slightly offset and cause the coils to hit each other upon compression. That's the cause of your noise.

The upper perch is angled slightly to match the angle of the strut and make the first winding of the spring sit flush. The lower perch on the strut is also angled and notched where the begining of the coil windings should sit. You really can't mess up the bottom seating, but often people miss the upper spring perch seating layout.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:53 AM

springs

Well, my springs are on now!! im getting some sounds also.. can i do the wrapping thing?? what do i use?? Is that some sort of tape?? This sound is driving me nuts as well !!!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The spring gets orientated (clocked) by the notch on the struts lower spring perch. It doesn't matter which way the words face on the springs as long as the're not upside down.

browne - from that comment in your last post about not seeing or paying attention to the word OUT makes me 100% sure that the upper perch isn't clocked correctly. That will cause the spring to sit slightly offset and cause the coils to hit each other upon compression. That's the cause of your noise.

The upper perch is angled slightly to match the angle of the strut and make the first winding of the spring sit flush. The lower perch on the strut is also angled and notched where the begining of the coil windings should sit. You really can't mess up the bottom seating, but often people miss the upper spring perch seating layout.
QUESTION!!!! my front left one is the only one making a click/thump sound when i come to a slow stop or when i first start going up my driveway. HOw do i know if its not put on correctly??? its says eibach the correct way!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 01:32 PM

The noise happens when i come to a slow complete stop and also when i slowly take off or when i start going up a steep hill.. could this be a strut mount or something else??
Old 05-06-2005, 01:36 PM

The only way you can see if the spring and strut is assembled correctly is to remove it from the car and inspect it.

Keep in mind that there are other suspension, drivetrain and brake components on your front end that can cause creaks, clicks and thumps.