4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

E-bay Oxygen Sensors...has anyone used them before?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:57 PM
no more maxima...

E-bay Oxygen Sensors...has anyone used them before?

I need to replace a front heated o2 sensor. I was thinking of using one from ebay because they are so cheap...any downfalls to this?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i need to replace my front bank o2 sensor also, and i wouldnt go on ebay and get my o2 sensor from there unless it was OEM, from what i see, the o2 sensors on ebay dont seem to be OEM, i would recommend getting them from the dealer, might be pricier but you know your getting your moneys worth.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:58 AM
blah

Originally Posted by maximazation
i would recommend getting them from the dealer, might be pricier but you know your getting your moneys worth.
The dealer charges almost $140 for a single oxygen sensor. That doesn't sound like MY moneys worth. I purchased a walker OEM replacement off of oxygensensors.com for 62.50 including shipping. It comes with replacement ties and anti sieze. My gas mileage has doubled after replacing the front two.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Batxel
The dealer charges almost $140 for a single oxygen sensor. That doesn't sound like MY moneys worth. I purchased a walker OEM replacement off of oxygensensors.com for 62.50 including shipping. It comes with replacement ties and anti sieze. My gas mileage has doubled after replacing the front two.
Was it hard to get the O2's out?

LEMAR
Old 05-06-2005, 09:48 AM
no more maxima...

Im going to assume my o2's won't be hard to remove because I had my y pipe replaced only a month or 2 ago.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:53 AM

I just bought 2 OEM Walker O2s from oxygensensors.com for ~$114 shipped. You can get universal ones for even cheaper. I was told the difference is with universal ones you need to re-use your old harness. I've taken them off other cars and it is easy to do. Oh and you WILL need an O2 socket.

If you call them and refer to the .org you can get 10% off your order (but not for denso).
Old 05-06-2005, 10:10 AM

i got mine for 60 on ebay for the front. it was made by walker

they actually look better made then the stock ones
Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by maximazation
i need to replace my front bank o2 sensor also, and i wouldnt go on ebay and get my o2 sensor from there unless it was OEM, from what i see, the o2 sensors on ebay dont seem to be OEM, i would recommend getting them from the dealer, might be pricier but you know your getting your moneys worth.
Whats wrong with a non-OEM (AKA Universal) O2 sensor? It performs the same way and you have about $30+ dollars over an OEM sensor. The only thing you'll have to do is splice wires and connect them to the universal ones. The steps are inside the box, and they provide you with all the neccessary connectors to make a proper connection.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by PhillyDonut
I just bought 2 OEM Walker O2s from oxygensensors.com for ~$114 shipped. You can get universal ones for even cheaper. I was told the difference is with universal ones you need to re-use your old harness. I've taken them off other cars and it is easy to do. Oh and you WILL need an O2 socket.

If you call them and refer to the .org you can get 10% off your order (but not for denso).
I agree, Its VERY easy to do that it makes spending that extra $30 or so dollars for an OEM seem like a rip-off. The need for an 02 socket depends on how tight the O2 sensor is on. You might be able to use a wide-mouth wrench if its not TQ'ed on.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 AM
blah

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
Was it hard to get the O2's out?
They weren't to difficult to get out w/ a o2 sensor socket. You can rent one for free from autozone. It took me about 15 mins.

Its VERY easy to do that it makes spending that extra $30 or so dollars for an OEM seem like a rip-off.
To me getting the oem replacement was worth it because I believe you'll save at least half an hour per sensor. Not to mention the sensors are very sensitive and you would definately need to solder it to get accurate readings as well as make sure its the right length. Its simple plug & play with the oem and only $17 difference.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Batxel

what was your gas mileage before? and after?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:45 AM

i have bosch universal 02 sensor for 55 bucks ea and they work great. im pretty sure nissan oem 02's are bosch also.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I thought bosch was the OEM..?..my bosch sensor had a stamp on it that looked just like the nissan emblem.

My $.02....Splice's add resistence to the wiring adding inaccuracy to the sensor, and can corrode in northern states like here (wisconsin). Those little tie downs on the wiring make it hard to remove, and you could easily break a wire if you inadvertantly pulled on it too hard. I vote for the $60 plug and play option.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jbreit

My $.02....Splice's add resistence to the wiring adding inaccuracy to the sensor, and can corrode in northern states like here (wisconsin).
theres no splicing involved they come with solid connectors and a water tight container and they work well. i used them for a long time with no problems.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by C MAX
...they come with solid connectors and a water tight container and they work well. i used them for a long time with no problems.
Yep, if you do it right, it will work and it only took me 5 mins the first time doing it to cut and use the connectors that come with it. No 0503 code so that tells me that its working correctly.

Plus the area where its cut and inserted into the connector is close to the sensor harness under the engine bay, so the chances of corrosion is minimal if done correctly.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:13 PM

Will my ECU throw me a code for O2 sensors or is it something I just have to replace? I have 103k
Old 05-06-2005, 05:06 PM

your ECU should throw a code if its malfunctioning.