4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another Y-Pipe question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 AM

Another Y-Pipe question...

I know that with the budget stainless Y-Pipe you get everything you need, the o-ring etc.

My question is to those people who have done this themselves, with no air tools. Were you able to get the stock Y-Pipe off by yourself? (I'm going to assume it's rusted to hell since my car is nearly 10 years old and has been through that many new england winters.)

Were you able to change out the oxygen sensor without destroying it? Anyone have any CEL problems with the o2 sensor using an aftermarket Y-Pipe?

Or should I just pay an exhaust shop to do it in two seconds and pray they dont break my o2 sensor?

I have all the tools and know-how necessary, but what kind of clearance do you have to get to the bolts you need to take off? I haven't checked out how tight the area is yet.

Also, I just had some custom exhaust put on less then two months ago ... so atleast one side of the stock Y-Pipe should be easy to get off. (However this is the side that is easier to get to of course.)
Old 05-09-2005, 06:45 AM

If this custom exhaust you did awhile back was just a catback an dnothing more, nothing in the Y-pipe should have been touched, which means that the bolts are still on there factory tight and probably rusted. I had a time getting mine off, the cat bolt wasn't easy but still came off. The manifold bolts were simple. There is very little clearance for the back manifold bolts, but it wasn't hard. The front was the easiest. Once you get the new Y-pipe on, you'll have all the clearance to work with putting the bolts back on.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I say do it yourself, its not all that tough. Just make sure you have some rust eater (PB blaster) around to help you break the nuts free.

Also, make sure to reinstall your O2 sensors before you put the new y-pipe in place, the rear one is quite a pain to install with the ypipe installed (clearance issues).

You shouldn't have any problems with your O2 sensors, though you might consider replacing if they are old. oxygensensors.com will sell you generic walker ones for $80 shipped (both front) and cutting/splicing the wires is pretty easy, especially with the y-pipe off of the car.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:54 AM

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I had a time getting the rear O2 sensor off that it stuck to the 02 sensor socket and I couldn't remove it from the socket. I purchased a new one from Autozone for $50 (universal).