4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power loss when driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 01:41 PM

Power loss when driving

I notice after having my car on for a while it doesn't feel as powerful. What causes this? It has been doing it a lot lately. Could my coil packs be going slowly? It is like there is a little delay in the accleration. After I shut the car off and let the car cool down then drive it again it feels so much better until it runs for a while. I just out new spark plugs in. Could my intake be taking in hot air and make it accel slower? A friend told me my valve cover gasket might be going and spark plug 1 could be getting oil on it. Do you think it could be because of that. My car just feels less smooth going thru the rpms. Does anyone know about this?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Check your ecu codes even if the cel isn't on.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Umass021
I notice after having my car on for a while it doesn't feel as powerful. What causes this? It has been doing it a lot lately. Could my coil packs be going slowly? It is like there is a little delay in the accleration. After I shut the car off and let the car cool down then drive it again it feels so much better until it runs for a while. I just out new spark plugs in. Could my intake be taking in hot air and make it accel slower? A friend told me my valve cover gasket might be going and spark plug 1 could be getting oil on it. Do you think it could be because of that. My car just feels less smooth going thru the rpms. Does anyone know about this?
yea, i've noticed this. Here's my hypothesis...

I think this happens on ALL vehicles. When the engine is cool, the intake manifold is cool as well. Therefore any air you suck into the engine isn't warmed up too much. Colder air is denser => more particals per cubic unit => more air molecules coming in.

However, when the engine is warm (and especially when it's a hot day), the air coming into the engine is heated even more (after all metal conducts heat) and you notice a loss in HP/torque.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If you have an aftermarket intake on, especially the cone type, take it off and put the factory setup back on and your throttle response will come back. The cone AKA POP Charger setup is horrable during the warmer months. As your engine bay gets heat soaked, so does the intake and that leads to poor overall performance, especially with automatic trannys.

Nothing gives better throttle response then the OEM intake setup. The only other aftermarket intake that comes close is a true CAI setup.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
If you have an aftermarket intake on, especially the cone type, take it off and put the factory setup back on and your throttle response will come back. The cone AKA POP Charger setup is horrable during the warmer months. As your engine bay gets heat soaked, so does the intake and that leads to poor overall performance, especially with automatic trannys.

Nothing gives better throttle response then the OEM intake setup. The only other aftermarket intake that comes close is a true CAI setup.
eh, i dunno man. I think i remember reading about a study done by Berk intakes and they said that when the car is moving above 10mph, the air surrounding the intake/popcharger is only 4 degrees warmer than the outside temp (I seem to remember 88*F outside vs. 92*F under the hood.) Could be wrong tho. Can someone please verify this?

Being at a stop is a much different story however. Def not disputing that one.

I believe the poster wasn't only talking about initial throttle response tho, but rather acceleration as a whole, hence my hypothesis.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

Conclusion = hot weather sucks for car performance.

But I agree with with nj and also have gone back to stock.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:58 PM

I have a cold air intake but the one that doesn't go thru the fender. The one I have go down infront of the radiator. Should I get another piece of pipe and make the filter be farther from the motor?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

You have a hot air intake ... that could be why too. That jsut seems like a bad place for a filter to rest.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:12 PM

What if I moved the filter somewhere eles?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:41 PM

I have the same problem but, I don't think it's because of the air filter..(in my case) it happens randomly, depending on wich way the car feels??!!....when it's cold, it works alllll goood! but when it's warm, sometimes it works good and sometimes not..??!! I was guessing for the coilpacks before I found out that the MAF was blown....but, even if I changed it, the problem seems to be there again....I took it to the dealer and the mechanic wasn't able to see, even with his computer thing, if there was a coilpack gone or not...my ECu is not throwing a code either....(only the 05-05 one wich means= nothing anormal) so, I can't figure out what to do with it and my hipothesis is that I have 1 coilpack freaking sometimes when the engine is warm...I tried seafoam after replacing the MAF...it seems that it helped a bit and the car is not freaking up as often as it was used to do it....how can I know if one of my coilpacks is gone if the ECU is not throwing any code and if the computer thing at the dealer is not even able to do it??? please helllllp!

thanks!!