4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help please: squeak in driver's side front dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001 | 10:32 AM
danielkennedy

in my 97 maxima se, i have an annoying sqeak coming from the driver's side from dash. it happens when my left tire goes over a bump in the road, and the high pitched sqeak seems like it is coming from down around the hood release lever.

it has been looked at briefly by a local mechanic and he could find no obvious problems with my suspension. i am wondering if anybody else has encountered similar trouble. i don't want to have to bring it to a dealer and get clobbered, if i don't really have to.

help please.
Old 05-14-2001 | 01:46 PM

squeak, rattle, and roll

Originally posted by danielkennedy
in my 97 maxima se, i have an annoying sqeak coming from the driver's side from dash. it happens when my right tire goes over a bump in the road, and the high pitched sqeak seems like it is coming from down around the hood release lever.

it has been looked at briefly by a local mechanic and he could find no obvious problems with my suspension. i am wondering if anybody else has encountered similar trouble. i don't want to have to bring it to a dealer and get clobbered, if i don't really have to.

help please.
I'm not quite familiar with this rattle you speak of. In my case, I had significant rattling coming from the center dash console. I had to take it apart and apply a thin rubber insulation to solve this.

In your case, this is most bizarre. You say this happens when your "right tire" goes over a bump. Not the left tire? One would think the squeak becomes more prevalent with bumps on the tire of the same side. If you are sure the noise is coming from within the interior (under dash), get a hold of a doctor's stethoscope. You can use this to accurately pinpoint where the squeak is. Could be a metal fitting that needs tightening or lubrication.