4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

installing cattman y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 09:11 PM

I am finally going to be getting a Cattman y-pipe in a few days, and I was thinking about installing it myself, but it came to me that I'm probably not going to be able to. So my question is, can anyone recondment a shop in California, in the Bay Area that are able to work with Maxima's? Preferably in the San Francisco/Oakland area. Thanks. Also, somewhere, where they can install a pulley also. About how much will it cost to install a y-pipe? Thanks, all inputs be much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:23 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by danny's_max
I am finally going to be getting a Cattman y-pipe in a few days, and I was thinking about installing it myself, but it came to me that I'm probably not going to be able to. So my question is, can anyone recondment a shop in California, in the Bay Area that are able to work with Maxima's? Preferably in the San Francisco/Oakland area. Thanks. Also, somewhere, where they can install a pulley also. About how much will it cost to install a y-pipe? Thanks, all inputs be much appreciated.
Hmm, any muffler shop should be able to do it. I would say expect to pay around $100+ for the install though. If you can find a jack, stands, and the tools, I would just do it yourself and save the cash for other mods, it's really not worth the money to have someone else do it. Can't really recomend a shop in that area, call around and get some quotes. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:29 PM

dude im getting mine (cattman y-pipe) in couple of days and im going to try to do it myself. Its just a matter of getting under your car getting a couple pain in the *** bolts, then putting the thing only hoping to encounterabout 5 promblems on the way, pulling my hair out, and cursing at the top of my lungs. Otherwise i dont think that it will be that much of a promblem after all its just exhuast.

Also I live In petaluma just north of san francisco so if you find a good price to install it, tell me.

peace
Old 05-14-2001, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by danny's_max
Dude! I live in Union City and I installed my own Y-pipe (WSP). I did it during my day-off. Started at 3:30pm and finished in about 5 hours. Got a scab on my left arm, deep cut on my left thumb, and burned myself with a solder iron (don't ask why). It's just a pain in the *** for removing those bolts though, but with enough wd-40 they'll come off pretty easily. I checked out some muffler shops and a couple didn't want to install it because they were scared about those pre-cats. One shop was asking for about $50/hr. I decided to do it myself and spent about $40 on a floor jack and a couple of jack stands at wal-mart. it was worth it because now i can install my own b-pipe and remus exhaust. it is definitely a do-able job.

Last edited by SillePimp; 01-12-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:09 PM

Petaluma ey? ...Cow Country

My aunt just moved up there since my uncle is making a killing in his new job. I guess MIT grads are expected to get payed 6 figure salaries. You guys have a great burger joint...Mike's at the auction or something like that....GREAT BURGER!!!

Anyways, I just bought the Stillen Y-pipe and was quoted $90 for the install of the y-pipe plus the b-pipe. I'm still going to do it myself, since I already took a look and have some idea of what to do. Oh yeah, use LiquidWrench instead of WD-40, it works a lot better. Just use an extension piece with your socket wrench and it should be no problem. The only concern of mine is the pipe farthest from the front of the car with the O2 sensor. Those bolts are going to be a pain, as you can't get any room or leverage.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:19 PM

I did it myself, and it would have only taken 5 or 6 hours.....BUT, the bolts from the old -y-pipe to the cat were rusted so bad that my impact wrench just stripped them. So, I had to put the front part back on and attack it the next day. A few of the bolts are a BIT*H to get to. and I had to actually use tape on my universal socket joint to hold it in position to remove the old pipe. The new pipe makes it MUCH easier to access the bolts...you don't even need a universal joint.

This was my first time EVER working on a car's exhaust...and I felt pretty comfortable doing it....and it all worked out....the y-pipe is great..and I've had about 10,000 trouble free miles so far.....GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-19-2001, 10:44 PM

Re: Petaluma ey? ...Cow Country

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin Wong
[B]My aunt just moved up there since my uncle is making a killing in his new job. I guess MIT grads are expected to get payed 6 figure salaries. You guys have a great burger joint...Mike's at the auction or something like that....GREAT BURGER!!!

"Mikes at the Yard" its called and ya those are some good a$$ burgers.

And I installed my Cattman Y-pipe with no problem, just a couple of bloody knuckles a sore back from laying on the cement, and a couple fat knots on the top of my head from running into the jack stands more than once. I'm 6'5".