4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The race is on!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 07:21 AM

Well I am considering holding off an all Mods to my 99 SE-limited. I wanted to see the specs of the 2002 Maxima SE.

Would love to see 260-270 HP and a six speed. To wet my appetite I went to test drive the ACURA TL Type S...

260 bph...auto stick...nice car...but still I am a true standard tranny man at heart, so I wait....until last night. On speed vision, I hear that the 2002 Acura TL type S WILL come to the U.S. with a six speed tranny.... Well now I am in a quandary as to what to do. Spend the $4500 to Mod my maxima, wait till the new one comes out , or place my order for the TL six speed...which wil be limited in production, any comments??

Love the car, but over the last five months since I purchased it I have not been happy with the acceleration, and the breaks really suck... plus the miles are pilling up...

If I put the mods into the 99, would I get 75% of the costs back on re-sale in only six months??

Would someone on this board like to buy my Crimson Blaze Maxima, Stock or Modified??
Old 05-16-2001, 07:42 AM

My friends got a 01 TL auto w/ sport shift and it crushed my max 97SE w/ mods....he's got a CAI In auto I keep up but once in sport shift he's gone very nice car especially with the navi system
Old 05-16-2001, 07:42 AM

I am a big fan

of that red color. I really wish I can could get my hands on that color SE.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by bluefish
... If I put the mods into the 99, would I get 75% of the costs back on re-sale in only six months?? ...
No. In fact, mods may make the car hard to sell. Used car buyers, even performance enthusiasts, may back away from a car with mods in the belief that the car has been driven abusively.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:34 AM

You wouldn't hardly receive anything for your mods. I wholesale cars, they don't car about that stuff. The only way you are going to get some of that money back is if you find someone interested in your car. The mods won't make your car that hard to sell. Just remember their is an a** for every seat. It just takes time.
Old 05-16-2001, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
No. In fact, mods may make the car hard to sell. Used car buyers, even performance enthusiasts, may back away from a car with mods in the belief that the car has been driven abusively.
Hey Dan, what if the car is clearly well taken care of? And if it doesn't have the more invasive mods like changes to the engine or exhaust? If it's obvious you've put good money into the car, I'd think it would help the resale value a lot.

But I can understand from the wholesaler perspective, that it's meaningless. The make, model, year, and OEM options are the only things that have weight when dealing with industry. So private sale is your best bet.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Gary95
Hey Dan, what if the car is clearly well taken care of? And if it doesn't have the more invasive mods like changes to the engine or exhaust? If it's obvious you've put good money into the car, I'd think it would help the resale value a lot.
What is the hallmark of a car which is "clearly well taken care of"? Most owners make an effort to clean up a car before putting it on the market.

I've expressed an opinion, and that's all it is... an opinion. I think a guy puts go-fast mods on a car because he likes to go fast. Performance mods make themselves felt at high rpms. If I'm evaluating a used car and I suspect the tach has been dancing around the red line a lot, I will walk away. You might feel differently.
Old 05-16-2001, 07:41 PM
i SeE what you did therE

i would have to agree with Daniel B. Martin...

hey bluefish..... i was looking forward to seeing another crimson max with mods.... wanted to see what you had in mind...that way i could get more ideas for mine...hehehe

red max...ahhhhhhhh
Old 05-17-2001, 07:03 AM

dicussions dicussions...oh what to do

Well thanks for the feed back. I tend to agree with Mr. Martin.. I went to the dealer to see what the trade-in value of my maxima was.. they said since it is a rare color and a 5 speed they could only see a " select " mumber of buyers looking for it/// I would private sale it if i decide to go that way. still not sure... Waiting to see the new TL type S six speed release date... I am looking at the 32-36,000 $ range for my next car... My associate told me to get the Jaguar X type "R" version comming in October... also with a six speed tranny and 275 bph and AWD... saw the regular X type at the NY car show... really nice car...

Will keep you posted...

As for Mods to do on the SE-Limited, 007 I would put on... FTSB,short throw shifter, CAI, Stillen body kit, Diamond Clears, Re-wire lights, wood Kit custom made by josuah tree ( grey bird-eye maple) Breaks ( a must) clear rears, and RSB... have the money, but not sure about the timing....

sorry for rambling on....economics plays a part...
Old 05-17-2001, 07:23 AM

nice car

If you can afford it go with the TL. Probably won't have any problems with that car. Otherwise ENJOY the RIDE. Your Red max is pretty hot. don't bother with mods if you're going to sell.