4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Now I screwed up my tranny!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 07:41 AM

Ok, so here's the deal....I had that whole thing with the detent spring missing...and the part is supposed to be in today.....but I noticed last night that my tranny was dripping gear lube....on a closer inspection, I found that to my horror...that middle detent bolt was the one that was leaking. I think that I threaded it wrong when I put it back in...cuz it was VERY hard to start threading....plus I was trying not to lose all my gear lube in the process....am I doomed to have a leaking tranny forever now???? Plus now I scared to take the bolt out. I don't even know if it will COME OUT. help please
Old 05-16-2001, 07:59 AM

Going from bad to worse

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Ok, so here's the deal....I had that whole thing with the detent spring missing...and the part is supposed to be in today.....but I noticed last night that my tranny was dripping gear lube....on a closer inspection, I found that to my horror...that middle detent bolt was the one that was leaking. I think that I threaded it wrong when I put it back in...cuz it was VERY hard to start threading....plus I was trying not to lose all my gear lube in the process....am I doomed to have a leaking tranny forever now???? Plus now I scared to take the bolt out. I don't even know if it will COME OUT. help please
I suspect the doofus who lost the detent spring also cross-threaded the detent plug. Let's hope that fellow goes into some other line of work... something he can do competently, like pumping out septic tanks.

Here's what I would do if it was my car.

1) Drain the gear lube. Remove the 3/N/4 detent plug. Take a tap of the same size and use it to clean out and restore the damaged threads.

If Step 1 doesn't work, then ...

2) Drill out the damaged threads using the drill size for the next larger standard tap size. Tap new threads in the drilled out hole. Install a larger bolt in place of the now-useless detent plug.

In performing step 1 or 2 coat the tap with thick grease. The idea is that aluminum fragments cut by the tap should come out with the tap rather than remain inside the transmission case.

Before installing your new detent parts use a bent paper clip (or equivalent) to fish around inside the detent hole. It's possible that the doofus didn't lose the spring, but reassembled the pieces in the wrong order. The ball goes in, then the spring, then the plug. If he put in the spring first the detent wouldn't work properly (that was your original complaint) and the spring might now be mangled and stuck inside that hole. If it is, you have to get it out before installing the new parts.
Old 05-16-2001, 01:34 PM

ok....It's finally HOPEFULLY fixed. I got the new detent spring and ball..and a new plug. and it's all in with a little sealer....so let's hope it doesn't leak....plus...now my car actually clicks into 3rd and 4th gear....YEAH!!!
thanks for all your help Daniel B.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:22 PM

Success!

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
... I got the new detent spring and ball ... ...now my car actually clicks into 3rd and 4th gear....YEAH!!!
You fixed your car yourself. Your cost was around $5. You learned more about how your car works. I'd call that a success! Good going!!