4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil in spark plug chamber

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:35 PM
Do I get a tax break?

[EDIT]: Replacing valve cover gasket

I am at ~120k on the Max and was replacing the plugs this morning and noticed that there was oil on the coilpack and in the chamber for cylinder #5 - rear bank, closest to the driver.

I have read about this before and am fairly certain is just a leaky valve cover o-ring. I was going to replace the rear valve cover gasket and o-rings for each plug.

Any one have any tips or advice on this project...do I need to replace all the grommets that are on the valve cover bolts too? Any gotchas/things to look out for?

Any and all help is appreciated, as always.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would replace all the grommets and the valve cover. It would be foolish to only change the grommet that is leaking if your pulling it off. You can reuse the bolts.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Do I get a tax break?

joeeey - the grommets I am referring to look like they are used with the actual bolts that secure the valve cover down. I intend to replace the actual valve cover gasket and the 3 o-rings that seal the plug chambers. The grommets are yet another part. Hope that clears it up.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:44 PM

Don't those grommets come in a valve cover kit from like a Napa store. I know the dealer sells every thing part by part, but aftermarket I think it comes complete.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by joeeey
Don't those grommets come in a valve cover kit from like a Napa store. I know the dealer sells every thing part by part, but aftermarket I think it comes complete.
Yes - they do - those kits including everything for the front and rear... I wasn't planning on doings the fronts - so I was debating whether to buy the pieces I needed, or just get the kit... I'll probably just end up getting the entire kit...

It sounds like you've done this before?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:49 PM

Yup, It not too bad, But I own a repair shop and I have almost every thing I need right next to me. Most guys only have a couple of tools which make the job a lil harder.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Joeeey - I can think of 2 questions right now for you..

1. If the car has been sitting over night, do I need to drain the oil before pulling the valve cover?

2. The valve cover gasket is rubber, as are the o-rings, but the FSM still recommends using some liquid gasket along the valve cover gasket - do I need to use the liquid gasket along the entire seam or just at a few points, and does the liquid gasket need to be applied to both (metal) surfaces or just one? (sorry if these questions seem amateur - this is the first time I'll be doing anything quite so intrusive on my car).

I appreciate the help.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Do I get a tax break?

bump - no one's got any advice for me
Old 06-01-2005, 01:10 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by njmodi
Joeeey - I can think of 2 questions right now for you..

1. If the car has been sitting over night, do I need to drain the oil before pulling the valve cover?

2. The valve cover gasket is rubber, as are the o-rings, but the FSM still recommends using some liquid gasket along the valve cover gasket - do I need to use the liquid gasket along the entire seam or just at a few points, and does the liquid gasket need to be applied to both (metal) surfaces or just one? (sorry if these questions seem amateur - this is the first time I'll be doing anything quite so intrusive on my car).

I appreciate the help.

1. NO oil is in bottom of the oil pan. you're ok
2. Yes, use the liquid gasket JUST at the points indicated in the FSM. I just found out about that today as well. havent done it, but i will do i once i replace my gaskets.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by eturnl
1. NO oil is in the oil pan. you're ok
2. Yes, use the liquid gasket JUST at the points indicated in the FSM. I just found out about that today as well. havent done it, but i will do i once i replace my gaskets.
Thanks! I was loooking at the FSM again and it looks like the only spots for the sealant are near where the gasket bends upwards to go around the cam... does the sealant go on both the cover and the head...