4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Valve Cover gasket replacement question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:43 PM
eturnl

Valve Cover gasket replacement question.

Im about to replace my valve/rocker cover gaskets... However, I noticed in the FSM that there is more than one gasket. Other than the perimeter/main gasket, there are also 3 'ring' gaskets that seal around where the spark plug holes are.

Do these need to be replaced? Because i only purchased the larger perimeter gasket from the dealer.

Has anyone done this?

Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Kevlo for President

Fck, I only purchased the big ones too. Ehh, I will clean up the ring gaskets and reuse them
Old 06-01-2005, 12:46 PM
I Broke OT

what about when taking off the valve cover to polish it. do new gaskets need to be put in afterward?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I'll jump in for the ride. I just posted this last night:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=407617

Why are you replacing your gasket? I need to replace the o-rings (spark plug tube seals) because I am getting oil seepage into cylinder #5s spark plug chamber. If you have everything open, I would recommend replacing these seals while you are in there - since they are prone to leak. I am also going to replace the grommets/washers that are on each cover bolt (10 per cover).

Are you doing the front or the rear valve cover?

Hopefully we can help each other!

Btw, I ordered the entire gasket kit (includes everything for the front and rear, main gasket, tube seals and grommets) from rockauto.com - 50 bucks shipped for the works. You might want to do that instead - buying piecemeal from the dealer works out to be 90-100 bucks per valve cover. Since I am doing the rear and need to pull the plenum, I'm going to replace that gasket too - its only a few bucks.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Kevlo for President

I would, most likely, they are old and bad. Mine leak and I have seen many Max's that leak. You prob see oil on your Lower IM.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Fck, I only purchased the big ones too. Ehh, I will clean up the ring gaskets and reuse them
Kevlo - see my post above. I would recommend replacing the tube gaskets while you have it open... its only a few bucks more and those seals are likely to leak over time. You can also see my thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=407617
Old 06-01-2005, 12:53 PM
I Broke OT

i am doing the front now, and the rear probably if the front turns out nice.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Kevlo for President

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...IengineID=2884

That it?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Yup - those are the spark plug tube seals...

I don't know if its absolutely necessary, but there are washers/grommets that are on each bolt - you may want to buy those and replace them too (cheap):

I just bought the FEL-PRO kit that includes everything:
Old 06-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Btw, can anyone make sense of the FSMs picture showing exactly where to apply the sealant. It looks like its only pointing to two specific areas.. I can't tell if the sealent goes around the whole cover and the heads or what... I would hate to put it all back together and have a new leak... aagh!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Kevlo for President

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=803&ptset=A
I will buy it in town from there.

Also I have some fairly new grommets off a 5th gen that I can use

What Pagein hte FSM
Old 06-01-2005, 01:23 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by njmodi
I'll jump in for the ride. I just posted this last night:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=407617

Why are you replacing your gasket? I need to replace the o-rings (spark plug tube seals) because I am getting oil seepage into cylinder #5s spark plug chamber. If you have everything open, I would recommend replacing these seals while you are in there - since they are prone to leak. I am also going to replace the grommets/washers that are on each cover bolt (10 per cover).

Are you doing the front or the rear valve cover?

Hopefully we can help each other!

Btw, I ordered the entire gasket kit (includes everything for the front and rear, main gasket, tube seals and grommets) from rockauto.com - 50 bucks shipped for the works. You might want to do that instead - buying piecemeal from the dealer works out to be 90-100 bucks per valve cover. Since I am doing the rear and need to pull the plenum, I'm going to replace that gasket too - its only a few bucks.

Hehe, i just replied to the last post in your thread. (Didnt realize it was you)

I need to replace my gaskets for BOTH covers- because im getting leaks... Everywhere!

Yes intake plenum gasket replacement is also necessary when replacing the rear/RH rocker cover gasket (obviously b/c you will need to remove the manifold to remove the rocker cover)

Furthermore, Im going to eventually replace, the liquid gaskets, for both my oil pans (upper and lower) and also my water pump gasket and MAYBE my rear main seal.

The leaks arent bad, there are alot of them, but they arent bad. Im not losing anything but maybe 1/4 of a quart every 3000 miles. I want to use synthetic oil, and i dont want to use synthetic when i got leaks!

BTW, I'd rather not go with gaskets other than Nissan OEM parts.... just my preference...

I have 138,000 miles on my MAX.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Kevlo for President

Acutally Nissan ones are the bad ones since they are the ones leaking
I know not the best train of thought, but it is very true sometimes. Such as teh oil pressure switch.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:28 PM
eturnl

Acutally Nissan ones are the bad ones since they are the ones leaking
I know not the best train of thought, but it is very true sometimes. Such as teh oil pressure switch.
Kevlo, They lasted 130K miles on mine. I dont think they're THAT bad.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Do I get a tax break?

What Pagein hte FSM
EM-34 for my 1996.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Do I get a tax break?

What Pagein hte FSM
Damn 35 bucks for 6 tube seals - it will be cheaper at the dealer.. its like 3 bucks at jerry rome (or close to it)...
Old 06-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by eturnl
Kevlo, They lasted my 130K miles. I dont think they're THAT bad.
actually I ended up buying the FEL-PRO kit because I read a lot of good things about their gaskets... I debated a lot between OEM vs. aftermarket... cost is 1/2 too - the full kit with OEM pieces prices at 60 bucks per valve cover, so thats $120 for both. I got the FEL-PRO kit for 50 bucks that includes everything for both covers... hopefully I won't be disappointed.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:34 PM
eturnl

Btw, can anyone make sense of the FSMs picture showing exactly where to apply the sealant. It looks like its only pointing to two specific areas.. I can't tell if the sealent goes around the whole cover and the heads or what... I would hate to put it all back together and have a new leak... aagh!
It is indeed pointing to only 2 locations. You can get a better picture if you look in the timing chain removal secion, page: EM-18 (thats from MY 97 FSM, not sure if it would be the same page for yours)

The picture is showing the covers from the underside. (They're flipped over)

Old 06-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Kevlo for President

Damn 35 bucks for 6 tube seals - it will be cheaper at the dealer.. its like 3 bucks at jerry rome (or close to it)...
Partnumber please
Old 06-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Do I get a tax break?

It is indeed pointing to only 2 locations. You can get a better picture if you look in the timing chain removal secion, page: EM-18 (thats from MY 97 FSM, not sure if it would be the same page for yours)

The picture is showing the covers from the underside. (They're flipped over)
Thanks! Now I'm ready!

Any other tricks we need to be aware of? I assume the tube seals just get "pushed/compressed" against the top of the valve cover after sliding over the plug tubes... is there something that holds them in place while you line up the cover? or should I slide them over the plug tubes instead and put the cover over them... I'm a I know. I just don't want any new leaks... I've never even pull the IM before - so this is a big job for me!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Kevlo for President

Ya, it is only pointing to 2 locations, what kind of liquid gasket do I buy?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Partnumber please
The tubes for the sparkplugs are a number XXXXXXXXX (I don't have this info).
The washers for the bolts are a number 13268-31U01.

I'm useful once in a while
Old 06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
eturnl

actually I ended up buying the FEL-PRO kit because I read a lot of good things about their gaskets... I debated a lot between OEM vs. aftermarket... cost is 1/2 too - the full kit with OEM pieces prices at 60 bucks per valve cover, so thats $120 for both. I got the FEL-PRO kit for 50 bucks that includes everything for both covers... hopefully I won't be disappointed.
I guess i can understand... But since i know that my original ones, from 1997, lasterd 8 yrs and approx 130k miles. Im gonna stick to what i KNOW works.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I guess i can understand... But since i know that my original ones, from 1997, lasterd 8 yrs and approx 130k miles. Im gonna stick to what i KNOW works.
Now you're making me second guess my decision on going with aftermarket... aaagh!... I use OEM for virtually everything (even belts)...
Old 06-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Kevlo for President

Thanks, parts ordered. This will help me complete the overhaul
Old 06-01-2005, 01:49 PM
eturnl

Ya, it is only pointing to 2 locations, what kind of liquid gasket do I buy?
I bought OEM RTV silicone gasket sealant from dealer, it was approx $16.
In case you're interested, its called

1207C Silicone Gasket
Part #: 999MP-A7007

I believe however that you can just use any HI-temp RTV silicone gasket sealant.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:51 PM
eturnl

Now you're making me second guess my decision on going with aftermarket... aaagh!... I use OEM for virtually everything (even belts)...
haha, im sorry pal... If i were you i'd stick with them. im sure they'll last at least 50k

Old 06-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Do I get a tax break?

haha, im sorry pal... If i were you i'd stick with them. im sure they'll last at least 50k
we can have a head-to-head gasket comparo... haha.. I'll mark the mileage and you mark yours and kevlo can mark his and we'll see who gets the first leak
Old 06-01-2005, 01:55 PM
eturnl

HAHA! btw, im not starting min till maybe tomorrow or next week. so be sure to take pics and notes for me! if you dont mind! (I always take pics and notes when i work on my car, just for future reference, it REALLY helps)

Old 06-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I bought OEM RTV silicone gasket sealant from dealer, it was approx $16.
In case you're interested, its called

1207C Silicone Gasket
Part #: 999MP-A7007

I believe however that you can just use any HI-temp RTV silicone gasket sealant.
Ok - now here is a serious OEM parts disciple! Since I've already gone to the dark side for the actual gaskets, I'll probably pick up some permatex or loctite hi-temp silicon RTV from the local auto store too...

Something like: http://permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp?...&item_no=22072
Old 06-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Do I get a tax break?

HAHA! btw, im not starting min till maybe tomorrow or next week. so be sure to take pics and notes for me! if you dont mind! (I always take pics and notes when i work on my car, just for future reference, it REALLY helps)
I just ordered my parts this morning - so if I get them in time I hope to do this on Saturday...damn, if the 3 of us weren't at opposite corners of the continent, we could have had a valve-cover meet

I will definitely take pics along the way...
Old 06-01-2005, 02:00 PM
eturnl

Ok - now here is a serious OEM parts disciple! Since I've already gone to the dark side for the actual gaskets, I'll probably pick up some permatex or loctite hi-temp silicon RTV from the local auto store too...

Permatex is a good brand IMO, i wouldnt be surprised if that lasted longer than my OEM crap. (YES i think its crap, but like you said serious OEM parts disciple!)

Old 06-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Kevlo for President

So, it will go -
Head-Vavlecovergasket-RTV/Permantex sealent on specified location///vavlecover
Old 06-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Just called permatex out of curiosity (since they have various hi-temp silicon RTVs)... the tech guy recommended this one instead:

http://permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp?...&item_no=82194
Old 06-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Do I get a tax break?

So, it will go -
Head-Vavlecovergasket-RTV/Permantex sealent on specified location///vavlecover
Actually, I believe it goes:

1. Apply sealant to the valve cover as specified
2. Secure gasket into cover - let the sealant set - this helps hold the gasket in place while you are lining it up over the head.
2b. I'm not sure whats keeping the spark plug tube seals from falling out yet... hopefully it will be more clear once I get in there to do this... or I'll just wait for you both to figure it out and follow your nice how-to with pictures and a step-by-step video...
3. Put cover/gasket onto head
4. Tighten in order stated in FSM
Old 06-01-2005, 02:11 PM

There's a sealant in most auto stores called "GREAT STUFF" it really is great.

I used to have to change valve cover gaskets twice a year in my car. They'd always leak.

Its been 2 years now and no more gasket changes. It comes in a can and it dries absolutely flawlessly if you have nicks or pits on the surfaces.

I recommend this over any valve cover gasket
Old 06-02-2005, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pulled my plugs the other day and noticed two had small pools of oil in them (not in cylinder, above the plug). Sounds like spark tube seals. Called the local dealer $5.60 a pop for them.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Chickan
Pulled my plugs the other day and noticed two had small pools of oil in them (not in cylinder, above the plug). Sounds like spark tube seals. Called the local dealer $5.60 a pop for them.
As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, unless you want to go with OEM parts only, rockauto (and other auto stores) sell a complete valve gasket kit, that includes the tube seals, valve gasket and bolt grommets for both the front and rear valve covers for 50 bucks... thats what I ordered and plan on using. Cheers.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:48 AM
eturnl

Just called permatex out of curiosity (since they have various hi-temp silicon RTVs)... the tech guy recommended this one instead:

http://permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp?...&item_no=82194

nj, did he say why? the black one seems just fine IMO? you think you can find out? thanks.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Do I get a tax break?

nj, did he say why? the black one seems just fine IMO? you think you can find out? thanks.
He said the grey one has a little more body to it (probably thicker) and is made for the imports... I wasn't convinced with his reasoning - I wish they had a comparison chart on their website that highlighted the differences from one product to another. I haven't bought either yet... I think both would probably work fine for our cars since we are just using the sealant to "help" sealing in addtion to the rubber gasket. If there was no rubber gasket and we were relying entirely on the RTV to provide the seal I would probably end up digging into it a little more. I may still end up asking the parts guy at the store about the differences (if they even carry both).

Quick Reply: Valve Cover gasket replacement question.