4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hot start problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 PM

hot start problem

I'm driving a 95 5 speedwith 141k. Sometimes it won't start after I leave it for 5 or 10 minutes. Went to the bank today, had trouble. Stopped at the store, same thing. It cranks fine, battery seems to be working as does the starter.

If I give it some gas it usually starts but it won't really do much for a a few seconds, just stumbles. If I give it enough gas to get the revs to 4 or 5k it usually fixes the problem. Tired of it. It used to do it here and there, getting more common now. Plugs are new, air filter is clean, throttle body is clean, no codes. Will the coolant temp sensor do this? Fuel problem? No real modifications. None on the engine anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Do I get a tax break?

A hot-start issue for a change... most people complain about cold starts

Could a sticking PCV valve cause this - I can imagine that the valve would be more prone to sticking when hot (the carbon/build up would be sticky). Its easy to replace - and cheap.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:54 PM

Easy enough. Going to auto zone and I'll pick one up. Cheap quick and easy. I'll let them check the codes while I'm there. No light though. Think their machine will only say knock sensor.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if I remember right this is a common problem on 300ZX's as well, and it was caused by coolant temp sensor.

If you want to search on a realy good Z site, twinturbo.net, register a name and search for coolant temp sensor or hot start problems and you'll come up with tons of stuff. I'd search for you but I'm short of time atm.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:05 PM

i would also like to know because its been happening all day to me. I went to get a drink during a break came out of the store the car wouldnt start. On my old engine it indeed was the ects. But Thats when it would be cold out. The rpms would go up but then drop down and stall.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:07 PM

ects...engine coolant temp sensor
Old 06-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Have you recently changed the engine or tranmission? These cars have timing issues when the mating surfaces between the 2 are corroded. Does the car crank normal or does it crank fast then slow? Does it backfire or pop throught the intake when cranking?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:12 PM

yes i recently changed the engine same transmission though. No it cranks fine when it wants to. On this engine the rpms dont drop to make it stall but it makes my car idle rough untill it brings the rpms back up. It cranks alot quicker than my other buddys maxima bcecause i got rid of their crappy battery harness and plugged it into an af termarket one. Atleast thats what i think ; )
Old 06-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Once again, so many different answers. I experienced this problem after about a year of the SES lamp being lit, and my resetting it. Contrary to how some people say faulty EVAP doesn't affect the way the motor runs, I found that the car had to crank 5-6 times repeatedly to get it started, only when HOT. Perfectly ok when cold. Once that issue was fixed, car has never done it again.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:47 PM

OK, so what's the concensus? EVAP (how do I go about fixing this) or is it the coolant temp sensor? I can do either or both. Where should I start and what is cheaper to do? Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:49 PM

Oh, and to answer the question. Original engine and transmission, 141k, I even have the original clutch. No work recently, no engine mods. Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bill927
OK, so what's the concensus? EVAP (how do I go about fixing this) or is it the coolant temp sensor? I can do either or both. Where should I start and what is cheaper to do? Thanks for the replies!
I hate to say this, but how do you feel about being rid of your problem and having a normally running car, and maybe parting with $500? The reason I say that is you could spend the next few weeks trying to figure out what's wrong, or, you bring it to the dealer and at 5 pm the car is done and running fine. To be honest, I got the EVAP done for around $400, and that was after wasting about 5 hours under the car trying to do what the forum said. The dealer told me the EVAP and boost sensor fail, you don't clean them like the forum suggests, you replace.

Yes, the dealer is overpriced, but our personal time is worth something and also peace-of-mind. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
I hate to say this, but how do you feel about being rid of your problem and having a normally running car, and maybe parting with $500? The reason I say that is you could spend the next few weeks trying to figure out what's wrong, or, you bring it to the dealer and at 5 pm the car is done and running fine. To be honest, I got the EVAP done for around $400, and that was after wasting about 5 hours under the car trying to do what the forum said. The dealer told me the EVAP and boost sensor fail, you don't clean them like the forum suggests, you replace.

Yes, the dealer is overpriced, but our personal time is worth something and also peace-of-mind. Good luck!
Well said. Personal time is often under-rated and under-valued. At the same time, some people have a lot of personal time and not a whole lot of money - so each person has to decide for themselves how long they are willing to keep trying to fix a problem (time and money wasted) before they either manage to fix the problem, or end up taking it to a mechanic or dealer.

Sometimes I take on the problem just for the thrill of fixing it myself - the money saved is sometimes the secondary motive. But you are right - when the cost of doing it myself (when the problem/solution is not clear) starts approaching what I could probably have it done for at the dealer - I drive straight to the dealer.