4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clickclickclickclick

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 03:54 PM

clickclickclickclick

so i went to start up the car and that's what i got. clickclickclickclickclick. at first i thought it was the battery. I jumped it and drove about halfway home until i stopped while changing lanes. so there i was in the middle of the road. right before i stopped, i lost all power steering and brakes (had to pull the ebrake) and the airbag, O/D, and oil light all came on and then dimmed out and died. I jumped the car again and ran it for 15 minutes before going on my way. I parked it in the parking lot at my house and popped the hood and kept the car running. noticed the power steering fluid boiling (dont know if that's normal), andthe radiator fans ran almost every other minute and each time the fans turned on the whole car's electrical system would surge for a split second.

As for electrical mods, I have a homemade grounding kit, some led work, and fog lights that aren't even connected. I just cleaned the tb and battery terminals and sanded them down.

i'm thinking it's either the battery and/or alternator because my starter started up the car fine when jumped. if i get the alternator installed, how many hours of labor would u estimate the shop would screw me with? This sucks because i have a job interview of each day this month.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the exact same click click click problem 2 weeks or so ago. What i ended up doing is just recharging the battery for 3 hours with a battery charger, and it works perfectly from that point on. I also thought it was the alternator, but decided to just try to recharge the battery. I hope this helps, good luck.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:15 PM

The click click thing is when the battery is very nearly drained. Sounds like it was drained because your alternators dead though. The boiling PS fluid isn't right. I have no idea what that could be.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:27 PM

Operating temp for PS fluid is 80deg C
it should not be boiling, I dont see how the electrical system could effect its temp thou becaouse the PS cooling is this pipe that goes from the tank to the front of the radiator.
Btw how did u see it was boiling? was it boiling right in its lil tank? Maybe your level of fluid is too low or too high.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:02 PM

the PS fluid was boiling in it's little resorvoir. You can see through the plastic. I have it filled a hair underneath the cold max level. Maybe it's time for me to flush my coolant?
Old 06-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Hehe dont know why it would be doing that, i just flushed my PS fluid all over my engine replacing one of the pipes, stinky crap...
Old 06-05-2005, 05:12 PM
blah

Sounds like your alternator is dead. Get a new a battery as well. How did you hook up the grounding kit?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:28 PM

if you mean the power steering fluid is bubbling in the reservoir, i had the same problem when there was a leak in the hoses and it was sucking in air. Had the hoses replaced and it was fixed.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:02 PM

if you changed your battery, and it still doesn't work, then its your starter..
Old 06-06-2005, 08:50 AM

changed the battery, alternator was tested good, car runs fine.

went to the shop i've been going to for a year now, they said the bubbling ps fluid was nothing out of the ordinary. car's been running fine since, so i'll leave it alone.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:26 AM

Dont trust the shop too much, keep an eye on your power steering.