4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pearl white paint matching problems, go two tone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pearl white paint matching problems, go two tone?

I took my stillen body kit pieces to a local body shop to get painted, but they came out quite a few shades off from what the rest of my car is. I gave them the gas cap as well since they said they would use that to get a perfect match, but anyone with eyes would say the kit and gas cap don't match up at all. Of course I'm going back to complain tomorrow when they open, but I keep hearing that white is just impossible to get right (even though the body shop said it would be a perfect match). I just don't know what to do now as I'm pretty angry over all this.

Now I'm thinking of just painting it black and going two toned (black kit, white body, CF hood later on?) So, opinions on this? Does anyone have this setup? Does it look incrediby awkward? WHAT DO I DO?!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:35 AM

you are very correct with white being very hard to match, my dads owns a shop and he says color matching white and silver cars are the hardest, i have a arctic pearl white maxima also.....props for having a white 4th gen, they look the best, besides black.

white car with black kit would look nice, but also depends on what other exterior mods you have, if you have AE headlights, DTM taillights, and tint, then the white car with black kit would look really nice.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:56 AM

one would think that a pearl 3rd gen is hard to match but i bought a can of almond color krylon which matches almost perfectly
Old 06-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

I gave the gas cap as well when I had the Skyline front painted but it still came out slightly off color. The place that painted though said they would probably be able to get about a 90% match so they didnt lie about not matching it exactly like the place that did yours.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:35 AM

yeah on my brothers 300zx pearl white it was a PIA to get the color to match.

On his, it requires two tones to be added sequentially over and over again.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

97 arctic white here too... when i originally had my fiberglass eyelids painted by this small mom and pop shop consisting of only 2 workers.... they matched it perfect...even with all the little specs of shiny metallic flakes and everything. He told me that the hardest thing to do was to keep blending different shades of white until he finally got it perfect. Unfortunately, they went out of business and now i'm looking to paint my bumpers. But then again, the factory paint from Nissan never really matched too well anyway between the bumpers and body colors. The bumper tends to look a couple shades darker.

I've seen some 2-tone maxes here in NY with black stillen kits on a white body. It looks okay.... unless you really accent the whole car in black and white, it'll still look like you put the kit on only for fitment and are still waiting to get it painted to match your car. Just my opinion...
Old 06-06-2005, 05:51 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I'm wondering if some of these colors are nissan specific. Hopefully not; the paint code can be found on the vin plate on the firewall, I know for super black it is KH3. When I got my kit painted it was only a little bit off because old an paint and new paint there will always be a little difference, I think on a white car/lighter colored cars it is less forgiving though.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:27 AM

Well I have AE headlights, and tint already... I could go ahead and do DTM tails. I would really love to have the kit white like its supposed to be. I just don't want it to be tacky (either way if I redid it black or tried to match it white again)