4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:49 PM
tastey wheat

Air Bag Light

OK. I know there have been a thousand threads on this topic, but every one i read wasn't really clear at all. I'm talking about the air bag light and how it won't stop flashing, no matter what. My girl has a 99 Max SE, and after trying the "press button 5 times in first 7 seconds" thing a bunch of times, it keeps coming back. We took it to the mehanic twice, and they think all airbags are fine, im ready to do anything to get rid of the stupid light so the car will pass inspection.

All the threads i read regaurding this always just said "check the harness under the passenger seat harness", or "cut out and reconnect the wires" or something.. well heres the thing.. which harness?!?!?? theres like 4 or 5 of them, is it in the seat?? at the front under neath? beneath the carpet? which one is it? does anyone have a pic of this harness? need to get rid of this light asap. If i cut whatever harness you guys are referring to, does that mean if theres ever a problem with the airbags in the future, that it wont let me know?

-Thanks for your input.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Do I get a tax break?

If the light is blinking it means the SRS system has been disabled - i.e they won't deploy if you ever get into an accident. This is one of those things that you probably will have to go to the dealer for. Get ready for a big bill. If you don't want to go to the dealer, find a better mechanic - perhaps someone who knows about Nissans, and see what they say. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:49 PM
tastey wheat

friggin' A
Old 06-06-2005, 08:10 PM

a lot of times the air bag light comes on becaue of where the seat is positioned. if it's position in such a way where the computer thinks that it will cause damage the person sitting in such a position. i highly doubt that is the problem in your case. but like the other orger said, you're prob gonna have to bring it to the dealership and they're gonna charge you a lot of money.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have the same problem too mann...been like this since umm....march of last year.....add subs/amp to the car and thats when it happened....i hooked it up on the computer and it says airbag module malfuction..
Old 06-15-2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
a lot of times the air bag light comes on becaue of where the seat is positioned. if it's position in such a way where the computer thinks that it will cause damage the person sitting in such a position. i highly doubt that is the problem in your case. but like the other orger said, you're prob gonna have to bring it to the dealership and they're gonna charge you a lot of money.
Yeah, like I just posted on Sun., I moved the seat to get some cash that fell under it, and then the airbag lamp started flashing. I got it off for a day, but it's back and has been back ever since. I think it'll eventually go away, I've been doing this thing so long I can't even remember anymore. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why it goes from diag flashing to normal again, and I can't predict when it'll stop. The airbag computer has to be in diagnostic mode for the lamp to stop the next time the car starts. If it is simply blinking steadily, it will continue to do so.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:54 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

there's an airbag module underneath the center console. Try reconnecting that. I don't know if that will make the airbags deploy or not. Good luck
Old 06-15-2005, 07:48 PM

I used the method in the stickies just this week. Guy who wrote it says to email him if it doesn't work. Worked fine for me, but you have to do it exactly as it is stated. No offense, maybe you did. Just a thought. Maybe one last effort before the dealership has their way witrh you.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i tried it again..its not constant blinking...now its 2 long blinks and 2 short blinks..what does this mean? i cant even reset this now lol..inspection this month..omann..
Old 06-16-2005, 07:22 PM

hey i remember that!...2 long blinks and 2 short blinks indicates the driver side side air bag. look underneath your seat for the SRS wires... FYI SRS wires in most vehicles will be wrapped in yellow wire loom, or some sort of yellow thing. anyway, it's probably crimped i've had it happen to me twice now, just bend it back and reset the SRS light, hopefully you'll ge the OK 05 short 05 long code. hope this helps
if not send me an IM talisman36 or i30yu
Old 06-16-2005, 08:48 PM

when i first got my maxima the airbag light blinked. tried the reset thing (door button 5 times, etc.) and it went off for a while. Then it came back on. I then took it to the dealership, they got rid of it, and it's been gone for almost a year until just the other day, and now i forgot how to do the airbag reset. Can anyone help with that real quick? Just the red blinking light is annoying.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
Nissan era late 1990's SRS system is not that sophisticated to sense whether or not the passenger or driver is in the correct position for deployment. There are only impact sensors to detect whether or not to deploy. I don't even think Nissan offered a seat position sensor until they introduced the Gen II airbags in the 2001 Maxima's.