4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rad. fans died- 98 SE maxi, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:15 AM

Rad. fans died- 98 SE maxi, help?

So my old man has a 98 max. (auto, which is not as fast as my 5spd). The two cooling fans for the radiator seam to be dying. The drivers side will normally kick on if the fan sits under load for a minutes or two. The passenger side fan will NOT turn (on its own). If you spin the thing, it will run for a minute or two. This is causing an overheating problem. If we turn on the AC the poor little VQ will overheat real quick! Otherwise it takes some hot weather and stop and go traffic to get her too hot

I would GUESS that the brushes are gone on the motors (of the fans) and both must be replaced.

1. Has anyone replaced their fans with something 'aftermarket'? (I do not want to replace the rad. so It would have to fit the stock one.
2. I have not priced Nissan parts, but I am assuming that they are overpriced.
3. Is this a 'common' problem?
4. Any junk yard swaps that are good'ns?

BTW I checked the fuses which were good... any other diagnosis?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Do I get a tax break?

The fan tray is a seperate part from the radiator itself... so you should be able to replace just the fan tray.

I have not heard of the fans failing very often - so I wouldn't call it a common problem.

Check the parts houses (OEM) that offer discounted parts - they may not be as expensive as you may think.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you sure that the fans are dead? A couple of days ago one of the fans refused to turn on and I found out that one wire needed needed to be grounded because the original plug had gone bad and thus the A/C started working again and the fan turned on.