4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Lights Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 06:48 PM

Rear Lights Won't Work

Driving home last night, a woman pulled up besides me and told me that my none of my rear lights are on.

I pulled into a gas station, looked, and no lights. Blinkers work. Then I took a box, propped it against the brake, and automated the seat forward and my brake lights turned on except for the Nancy Reagan light, whose bulb is burnt out anyway.

I went into the fuse box, pulled the "Tail L." fuse and it was broken. "Ah ha!" The one next to it was "Int Ill" (interior illumination, I assumed). I pulled Int Ill - it was fine, and I replaced the good one into the "Tail L." slot.

Turn on my lights - same crap. I pull the new fuse - and it has broken, too.

Ideas?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:50 PM

Is the metal part inside the fuse burned or is the fuse actually broke, like in two?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:51 PM

The fuse was tripped. I'm not sitting here with two bits of fuse, I mean.

*Oh, and, before swapping, I made sure that the two fuses were compatible (same amperage).
Old 06-21-2005, 05:23 AM

Self bump.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 AM

All this time, the high mounted brake light had been burnt out. I just bought some fuses, new brake lights, and a new high mounted brake light.

I replaced the fuse in question (Tail Lights fuse), turned on the lights, and nothing turned on. The fuse, however, was not blown. I turned the car on and turned on the lights - the fuse still had not blown.

Shut off the car. Replaced the brake lights in the combination tail. Repeated the above steps and the "night lights" would never come on, but, except for the broken high mount light, they'd all come on when I applied the brakes. The fuse is still unharmed.

I replace the high mount light, apply the brakes - they all come on. I turn on my "night lights" but nothing comes on. I check the fuse - it is blown.

Anyone?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:54 AM
I never narc'd on nobody.

definitely a wiring problem... if youre not crafty with a multimeter, you might have to take it in somewhere where they can diagnose electrical problems.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:04 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Have you done any wiring mods like making the front corner lights brighter? (Cheston's mod - the ones next to the headlights)

I found a broken wire connection last night on the right front corner light and the light would go on and off intermittently. When I fiddled with the wiring that caused the fuse to blow. The 7.5 fuse is the 5th one from the bottom and on the left side. This one controls the tail lights as well.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:59 AM

you have a short in the wire somewhere. I had this happen. turned out to be a cut wire rubbing against my trunk lid. Just have to hunt around.

Your front corner lamps and your tail lights are on the same circuit. so the problem can be any of those wires.

Get a bunch of 7.5 fuses and take apart all the panels in your trunk and jiggle the wires around. See if the fuse breaks instantly or if you get some time before it blows. If you get some time and then it blows my money is on a cut or sliced wire.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:53 AM

Im having the same problem. Also, I noticed when I step on the brake lights the front side marker lights (the little ones on the side, not the whole blinkers) lights up. Is that normal? Also, i have black altezzas in, i left the little light in the corner of the housing empty and uninstalled. I checked the fuse and it doesnt look any different than the rest (i dont know what a tripped one looks like...) could it be a fuse link like the manual suggest? I replaced the bulbs and reconnected the OEMS to no avail so the prob is not with the light housings.... This sucks im no electrician....
Old 06-27-2005, 09:56 AM

Anymore ideas????
Old 06-27-2005, 10:45 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by The Deal
Im having the same problem. Also, I noticed when I step on the brake lights the front side marker lights (the little ones on the side, not the whole blinkers) lights up. Is that normal? Also, i have black altezzas in, i left the little light in the corner of the housing empty and uninstalled. I checked the fuse and it doesnt look any different than the rest (i dont know what a tripped one looks like...) could it be a fuse link like the manual suggest? I replaced the bulbs and reconnected the OEMS to no avail so the prob is not with the light housings.... This sucks im no electrician....
I had that problem last month!

Check all of the contact points on the tail light bulbs! Replace the ones that show the +/- contact points touching each other!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:03 PM

If you have rewired your Fogs to turn on with your corner lights then that could be your problem. it happened to me one time and i was scared that i had a short luckly it was just a fuse but your problwm sems worse then that. I guess you have to follow all the wireing in side your car to find out where a short might be.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 PM

dang, this problem is driving me crazy! two seconds after replacing the "tail lt" 7.5A fuse, the new one blew. now i've got to hunt around for a damage wire. could it be anything else besides a bad wire?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:39 PM

so i put a 10A fuse where the old 7.5A went for the "tail lt" slot under the dash.

will this eventually blow my bulbs? anyone ever done this?