4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Urgent. Horrible Tranny Problems !

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 02:56 PM
VIP Maxima

Urgent. Horrible Tranny Problems !

my tranny been slipping big time for the past coupla weeks and the gear changes have been harsh as hell.

today i turned on the car, put it in gear and started going then it shut off. i kept turning it on and putting it in D and it still kept shutting off. this happend like 5 times then i put it in P, floored it and then it started running like before. with slips and hard gear changes.

wth is wrong with this car? damn i dont have $$ for new tranny. $hit

42k miles on this crap but i rape it daily.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:27 PM

Maybe it's retaliating now because you've been raping it. Dang its like a domino effect, everyone has been having transmission problems lately. The TCU needs looking into, might be throwing a code of some sort. Have you tried pulling the codes from the ECU? Slippage is definitely clutch related. The thing that really sucks about this is that auto tranny have many clutches in between gears where as manual transmission only have one. You are probably looking at a rebuild job. Your best bet is to hunt for a rebuilt transmission. Try K.Watanabe on Laurel Canyon and Sherman Way or Victory. It's in North Hollywood. I have bought a rebuilt transmission from them for an 88 Toyota Celica and the transmission ran well until the car was totalled in a major collision.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Do I get a tax break?

At a minimum it sounds like the torque lockup converter (overdrive gear) is not disengaging.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
wth is wrong with this car?
And the answer is........

i rape it daily.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Yeah, you should be nicer to your car if you want it to last like it should.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:11 PM
VIP Maxima

i just had 30% of the fluid changed with dextron III and this additive added to it. tranny has slipped ONLY twice since then compared to almost at every light. my 1-2 shift is now crisp but the car still takes a long time to go into 3rd gear. when going into 3rd, the rpm's jump up by 500 or so and it seems like im reving it but im not then the rpm's fall back down and the car goes into gear.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:31 PM
VIP Maxima

i just lost all gears. no matter what gear i put it into. the car doesnt move

Old 06-24-2005, 11:57 PM

Sorry to hear that. Transmission problems usually get from bad to worse in no time. Time to shop for rebuilt transmissions. It's cheaper that way, than paying for a transmission shop for a rebuild job. The only down side to it is that warranty is provided by the place that sold the rebuilt transmission. If for any reason the rebuilt transmission is defective, you'll end up paying the shop that did the R&R twice.

I do have a buddy in La Puente that rebuild's transmission, they do excellent work and I guarantee that you won't get ripped-off. However, you'd have to find a way to get your car towed all the way down there. It's about a 40 mile trip.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:05 AM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by DR-Max
Sorry to hear that. Transmission problems usually get from bad to worse in no time. Time to shop for rebuilt transmissions. It's cheaper that way, than paying for a transmission shop for a rebuild job. The only down side to it is that warranty is provided by the place that sold the rebuilt transmission. If for any reason the rebuilt transmission is defective, you'll end up paying the shop that did the R&R twice.

I do have a buddy in La Puente that rebuild's transmission, they do excellent work and I guarantee that you won't get ripped-off. However, you'd have to find a way to get your car towed all the way down there. It's about a 40 mile trip.
thanks for ur help, i apreciate it. the only thing is that i dont have the money to do this. like i said in the westcoast thread. i dumped all my savings into major mods and im broke right now. $3000 gone and tranny goes out. suckss. im sitting here almost wanting to cry. i was dumb enough to buy an auto

Old 06-25-2005, 09:05 AM

We all make mistakes and miscalculate things. I have learned my own lesson not to spend so much money on mods and making sure I have enough for emergency repair funds. I have been contemplating on getting euro clear corners, bumpers, tails, etc. but I knew that I had to make sure I have money for more important stuff such as repairs. I'm sure you've heard my clutch going out a month ago, that progressively got worse in a matter of weeks. Had I procrastinated and held off buying the clutch parts, I would have been SOL'd. Sometimes things happen for a reason but many things happen in life to teach us and educate us. Hopefully your parents will step in and help you. I didn't have that luxury which is why I'm pretty tight with my own money.

Best wishes.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Banned

Unfortunately if you pound on a car stuff breaks, I learned that with my old car, it got all screwed up then I traded it in...Im very nice to the new max becasue I know after the warrenty is up...being hard on the car now probobly wont bite me in the *** till after the warrenty period is over....so I drive it normally.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:18 AM

It sucks, no doubt...but this is what you get. YOU have been on the org for a while, and you SHOULD know these auto tranny's arent bulletproof. The fact that you rape it daily makes me laugh, like -- this is what you wanted.

BigDogJonx has a 5th gen auto tranny in his garage. I dunno if he's willing to ship to CA. Sucks for yoooooooooooooooooou!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:35 AM

Mike.......just talked to my hommie. I explained to him the situation. He also hinted that when the drive-axles go out, the car behaves the same way. You are in a gear but the car doesn't move. He instructed me to have you do this:

1) first make sure there aren't any obstructions near or around the car (you should probably do this on the street while its clear)

2) shift the car in drive and slowly accelerate

3) if the speedometer climbs, it could be your drive axles (this means that the gears are engaging but the drive-axle isn't)

4) now don't put the car in park yet! doing so could really mess things up. try shutting off the engine with your key. if the key won't turn to the off position, let the speedometer and rpm drop to zero. give it a minute or so for the gears to wind down to a complete stop. then carefully put the car on park.

As for price, his quote is $1500. That's a complete rebuild including parts (everything needed for the rebuild job). And he will warranty it for 6 months. But he does suggest that you go easy on your car even after you get the tranny rebuilt. Automatics cannot take much abuse at all. Let me know what you decide to do.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:53 AM

Everyones trans is failing, some how my 5sp with the quaife just failed 2 days ago after being parked for 2 days. I hop in to drive it and the trans just grinds while in neutral and wont shift into gear after it drove perfectly fine home a couple of nites ago, I think 3rd gear is just not where its supposed to be in the input shaft, just my luck after puting in new engine 2 weeks ago my maxima is down again...............
Old 06-25-2005, 11:00 AM
VIP Maxima

Mike.......just talked to my hommie. I explained to him the situation. He also hinted that when the drive-axles go out, the car behaves the same way. You are in a gear but the car doesn't move. He instructed me to have you do this:

1) first make sure there aren't any obstructions near or around the car (you should probably do this on the street while its clear)

2) shift the car in drive and slowly accelerate

3) if the speedometer climbs, it could be your drive axles (this means that the gears are engaging but the drive-axle isn't)

4) now don't put the car in park yet! doing so could really mess things up. try shutting off the engine with your key. if the key won't turn to the off position, let the speedometer and rpm drop to zero. give it a minute or so for the gears to wind down to a complete stop. then carefully put the car on park.

As for price, his quote is $1500. That's a complete rebuild including parts (everything needed for the rebuild job). And he will warranty it for 6 months. But he does suggest that you go easy on your car even after you get the tranny rebuilt. Automatics cannot take much abuse at all. Let me know what you decide to do.

i just had the car shown to 3 shops. they all said tranny is toast. my reverse, 1st 3rd and 4th is out. car starts to move half way in 2nd gear. tranny fluid smells burnt. ill try what u told me dr-max. thanks

and to those that said i did this on purpose. well i didnt, but u cant resist driving hard....

Old 06-25-2005, 11:20 AM

u can get a tranny from a yard. Max4Speed had some auto trannys for sale. I wouldnt pay $1000-$2000 for a rebuild. I'd get a tranny from a yard and get some fellow org members to help u install it. I believe you can get an auto tranny from a yard for around $200-$400. Good Luck
Old 06-25-2005, 11:24 AM
VIP Maxima

a shop just quoted me 1 grand to rebuilt MY tranny with 1 year warranty. not sure if imma go that route then again not sure if i want to get another used tranny and face the same problems....

Old 06-25-2005, 11:32 AM

Mike, think about this........5 speed conversion. : There are good write-ups on this. There's a 5 speed conversion for sale in the classifieds, not sure if it includes the driver side axle. But its worth a shot to check it. Imagine.......5 speed. :P This route should be cheaper since manual transmissions are cheaper than automatics.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:54 AM
VIP Maxima

Mike, think about this........5 speed conversion. : There are good write-ups on this. There's a 5 speed conversion for sale in the classifieds, not sure if it includes the driver side axle. But its worth a shot to check it. Imagine.......5 speed. :P This route should be cheaper since manual transmissions are cheaper than automatics.

nah man, i wish..... i need my car and 5spd swap is gonna cost up to 3 grand for labor and alllllllllllll the parts, needless to say, it might take weeks to months. plus, most shops refuse to do it. all that being said, i purchased 19' so might as well forget about 5spd. ill run 20 sec 1/4 mile with an auto and lets say 18 sec with 5spd, whats the point ?

honestly. the tranny went out much sooner than i expected......

my dad is willing to let me borrow money and im thinkin about buying a tranny cooler to be extra safe. anyone got any ideas what tranny coolers r good??

this is kind of a fresh start for me cuz i know with those 19's, i wont be able to go fast at all so ill just take it easy on the car. new chapter in my book altho i hate to have $1000 go out of my pocket AT THIS TIME....

Old 06-25-2005, 04:39 PM

Yep the bigger the rims the harder it is on your transmission. In trucks, a re-gear is done when they go bigger on tires mainly to keep the RPM correct and also to keep the transmission from straining. If they do that to trucks, then its a must for cars but somehow many overlook that. IMO, 19's are way too big for any car. As for tranny coolers, they're mainly used if you tow alot or if you usually drive around with a heavy load in your car. If not, they're pretty much useless for you. You should get rid of those 19's especially if they are chrome, as those wheels are usually way too heavy. Stick with lighter 18" wheels. It's better overall on your tranny, suspension, and drivetrain.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That is one of the reasons why I like my 15" sawblades.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:38 PM
VIP Maxima

Yep the bigger the rims the harder it is on your transmission. In trucks, a re-gear is done when they go bigger on tires mainly to keep the RPM correct and also to keep the transmission from straining. If they do that to trucks, then its a must for cars but somehow many overlook that. IMO, 19's are way too big for any car. As for tranny coolers, they're mainly used if you tow alot or if you usually drive around with a heavy load in your car. If not, they're pretty much useless for you. You should get rid of those 19's especially if they are chrome, as those wheels are usually way too heavy. Stick with lighter 18" wheels. It's better overall on your tranny, suspension, and drivetrain.
yah i was actually thinkin about how the 19's are going to be harsh on the tranny as well. specially since i do a lot of city driving and specially since im getting higher profile tires. too bad i already purchased the rims. dont know what to say honestly....... at this point i just want a car...

Old 06-26-2005, 12:31 AM

You can sell the rims and use the money for your tranny repair so you won't have to owe your parents any money. Or you can use the money and get yourself some lightweight 17 or 18s.

yah i was actually thinkin about how the 19's are going to be harsh on the tranny as well. specially since i do a lot of city driving and specially since im getting higher profile tires. too bad i already purchased the rims. dont know what to say honestly....... at this point i just want a car...