4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AC stinks... how do i fix it

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005 | 12:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AC stinks... how do i fix it

My AC smells bad for some reason, heater makes no smell but AC smells like ***
anyone have this prob?
Old 06-25-2005 | 01:45 AM
faster than you think

i heard somebody said put lysol at bottom of the windshield where the air sucks in from (outside of the car) and turn the heat all the way up and itll take all the nasty smell out of it. i gotta do that too. my ac smells lil bit. im too lazy to do that.
Old 06-25-2005 | 04:19 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Lysol only maskes the real problem, which is mold thats growing in your evaporator. They sell a kit that sprays a cleaner onto the coils of the evaporator with a wand. It kills the mold and cleans up the system really nice. It will tell you how to access the evaporator without taking the whole thing apart as well. Search the web for a bit and you'll find it online. The evaporator gets really nasty over time because we have no filters in the system, just a screen. You can see what a home A/C unit filter looks like, imagain what gets sucked into our cars systems. Cleaning them up also makes them work much better, you'll get colder air and best of all, no more smell.

If your handy, you can figure out a way to clean it with Simple Green. Put together some sort of sprayer and figure out how to get access to the evap. coils. If you take out the fan motor resistor pack you'll probably have a large enough hole to get some sort of spray wand in there. Have the system running and the fan on high speed to help distribute the spray onto the coils.

Good luck, I've done mine, makes a mess in the car if your not carefull.
Old 06-25-2005 | 04:46 AM
Da'Burgh, Go Stillers!

There's a product on the market called frigi-fresh. It's made by BG, and in a little one ounce can. It's made specifically for your complaint. Just follow the directions on the can. You should be able to get it a local auto parts store. Our local NAPA carries it. We use it at our shop and it really morks well.
Old 06-25-2005 | 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mbandi
There's a product on the market called frigi-fresh. It's made by BG, and in a little one ounce can. It's made specifically for your complaint. Just follow the directions on the can. You should be able to get it a local auto parts store. Our local NAPA carries it. We use it at our shop and it really morks well.
lol nice name...frigi-fresh
Old 06-27-2005 | 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-27-2005 | 10:21 AM
Do I get a tax break?

If anyone actually goes through the process of getting to the evaporator to clean it out, take pics - because I think a lot of people would find that write-up useful.
Old 06-27-2005 | 11:50 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

sure would i was too embarrased to ask,
Old 06-27-2005 | 12:22 PM

A few days ago there was a post and someone posting this link for an evaporator cleaner... http://www.dwd2.com/ idk this things quality or anything but its what I read. If anyone has used this did it work well? My a/c smells too and my ac isnt too cold
Old 06-27-2005 | 01:43 PM

My air conditioner smells like crap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its mold growing on the AC parts inside the car after it gets all damp from the A/C. The solution is very easy. Get a can of lysol. Drop all your windows and sunroof. Turn the AC on "outside air". Turn the fan to "high". Empty the can thru the cowl intake (under the wipers). Get in the car and change the fan position settings thru all- defrost, high, low and bilevel. Next, take trip down interstate at high speed with heater on to help speed the smells like a hospital smell from vehicle. Problem solved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by mzmtg : 08-01-2002 at 08:32 AM.

I found this in the stickies, maybe it will help!
Old 06-27-2005 | 01:48 PM

Yeah so if you were going to get to the AC coils, how would you do that?
Old 06-27-2005 | 03:14 PM

put some citrus smell for at least 2 weeks.probably a wet sock. lol
Old 06-27-2005 | 03:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Lysol only maskes the real problem, which is mold thats growing in your evaporator.
Lysol IS antibacterial, so it should kill the mold that's causing the problem.

oh, and to the OP,

read the stickies!
Old 06-27-2005 | 04:40 PM

Antibacterial ... jaedaliu/MR.SMARTYPANTS means against bacteria, now if you don’t know mold and bacteria are totally different things bacteria is prokaryotic while mold is eukaryotic, It is closer to a plants than to bacteria. Most antibacterial substances do not kill mold for the exception of such as alcohol or gasoline, esp if you light it :P
Old 06-27-2005 | 06:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lysol website
LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray is an EPA-registered disinfectant that kills many viruses, bacteria, mold and mildew on environmental surfaces in the home and in public places.

It eliminates many germs and odors on hard nonporous surfaces that you come into contact with everyday such as doorknobs, toilet areas, telephones and garbage pails.

And now introducing LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray in Green Apple Breeze™ Scent. All the protection of LYSOL® Spray with the fresh scent of green apple.

LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray also comes in 6 additional great scents: Crisp Linen® Scent, Spring Waterfall® Scent, Summer Breeze™ Scent, Country Scent®, Original Scent, and Soft Powder™ Scent.

LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray comes in 3 sizes: 12.0 oz., 18.0 oz., 19.0 oz. Professional size. Crisp Linen® is available in a 6.0 oz. as well.

Some of the germs LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray eliminates on hard non-porous surfaces include

Bacteria
- Staph and Strep
- Salmonella
- Escherichia coli
- Campylobacter

Fungi
- Athlete’s Foot Fungus
- Mold and Mildew

Viruses
- Rhinovirus -The leading cause of the common cold
- Rotavirus - The leading cause of infectious diarrhea in children
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) – The leading cause of lower respiratory infection in children
- Poliovirus Type 1
- Adenovirus Type 2
- Herpes Simplex Virus Types 1 and 2
- Hepatitis A
eh, so I forget my bio. What I do know is that Lysol kills lots of stuff, mold being one of them.