4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing lower ball joints on 97 Max.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 09:06 PM

Replacing lower ball joints on 97 Max.

I need to replace both lower ball joints on my 97 Maxima. Has anyone done this procedure? I think the removal might not be so hard with a tool that's been called a "pickle fork" but I'm not sure how easy it will be to get the ball joint pressed back into the lower control arm (aka transverse link), especially with the arm still on the car. I've checked the sticky's and searched as well as I've been able but have not found any info on the site about this.

I'm sure the Haynes or Chilton manual might have information on this but I don't have one right now and I'm in a bit of a hurry. I'd like to do this repair tomorrow if possible because I need to get my safety inspection done to re-license my car by the end of the month (!). I have found the parts in stock at a place here in my city and I can supposedly get the special tools (loaners) at Autozone.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by lindenbusch
I need to replace both lower ball joints on my 97 Maxima. Has anyone done this procedure? I think the removal might not be so hard with a tool that's been called a "pickle fork" but I'm not sure how easy it will be to get the ball joint pressed back into the lower control arm (aka transverse link), especially with the arm still on the car. I've checked the sticky's and searched as well as I've been able but have not found any info on the site about this.

I'm sure the Haynes or Chilton manual might have information on this but I don't have one right now and I'm in a bit of a hurry. I'd like to do this repair tomorrow if possible because I need to get my safety inspection done to re-license my car by the end of the month (!). I have found the parts in stock at a place here in my city and I can supposedly get the special tools (loaners) at Autozone.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Maybe autozone has a loaner press which would help on the installation of the new ones when you get the old ones out?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:31 PM

hey man let me know how it goes.. i need to do the same... yea autozone has the pickle fork but u will need a ball joint press which they also rent... but let me know where you found those ball joints cuz they dont sell them....
Old 06-29-2005, 06:12 AM

The ball joints I found at a place called Advance Auto Parts here in my city. I think it is a chain. You're right, Autozone does not have the ball joints and they told me they couldn't order them right now. I talked to the Napa store here too and they could order them. All were priced around $30.00.

The installation tool as well as the pickle fork are available from Autozone. I'm going to try to get parts late this morning. I have to go into work to make sure I'm not desperately needed today. I'll try to post my progress and questions if any arise.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:17 AM
Do I get a tax break?

lindenbusch - take pics along the way (of the parts/tools, etc.). Although you are a new member to the org, I have already noticed that your post contain a level of knowledge/maturity that most newbies don't have. It adds value to the forums! A write-up on the ball-joint replacement would be great at this point in time - since many of our cars are at the point where such maintenance is needed!

In response to f550's question: You can get the ball-joints of Ebay too - they are fairly cheap (as already mentioned). I am probably just going to replace both control arms. New control arms (with new ball joints and bushings included) run about 80 bucks a piece on Ebay... Its a heck of a lot easier just to swap out the LCAs.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:17 AM
Disco Biscuit

In oprder to pop out the ball joint from the socket so that you can remove the control arm, all you need to do, is once the bolts are loosened, pop the socket with a hammer on the side, afew times and the ball joint will fall out. So you dont need the pickle fork.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you go through the trouble of replacing your ball joints, you might as well replace the control arm bushings as they are probably worn as well. As far as I know, there are no stock replacements but Energy Suspension sells polyurethane ones. I chose instead to replace the entire control arm and there was an appreciable increase in ride comfort that I would attribute to the bushings.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
lindenbusch - take pics along the way (of the parts/tools, etc.). Although you are a new member to the org, I have already noticed that your post contain a level of knowledge/maturity that most newbies don't have. It adds value to the forums! A write-up on the ball-joint replacement would be great at this point in time - since many of our cars are at the point where such maintenance is needed!

In response to f550's question: You can get the ball-joints of Ebay too - they are fairly cheap (as already mentioned). I am probably just going to replace both control arms. New control arms (with new ball joints and bushings included) run about 80 bucks a piece on Ebay... Its a heck of a lot easier just to swap out the LCAs.

I did this too, when replacing LCA's, order stabilizer end links, since you'll have access to it. This kit comes with new bushings, it costs about $50, well worth it, since these are most likely worn too.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by knight71
I did this too, when replacing LCA's, order stabilizer end links, since you'll have access to it. This kit comes with new bushings, it costs about $50, well worth it, since these are most likely worn too.
I have the ES endlink and swaybar bushings ready and waiting , just gotta get the LCAs... it's on my list of projects for next month.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:53 AM

A wheel alignment will still be required after all this, will it not?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yes it will ...
Old 06-29-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
A wheel alignment will still be required after all this, will it not?
I didn't get it done, no issues yet.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:29 AM

I started on my ball joints this morning. So far I haven't actually done anything except remove the cotter pin.

Here's a basic question for anyone who knows: Do I have to remove the LCA to replace the ball joint or not?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yes you do. It helps tremendously when pressing the new one in. knight71, you really need to get an alignment.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back online to post yesterday. Bottom line: my vehicle is now at the shop and I'm paying them $135 to do the ball joint replacement.

After reading comments here and realizing that I really did have to remove the entire control arm to replace the ball joint, I ran into a problem in that I did not have a wrench large enough to remove the lock nut holding the outer CV joint. I also have broken my 17 mm wrench changing brakes on my wife's Honda so I didn't have a wrench for the ball joint top nut either!

Unfortunately for everyone here, there will be no pictures and how to on this project. On a positive note, I did find the ball joints in stock and was able to save about $50 because the shop to which I took the car was going to charge me double for the joints. I'm wondering if they realized at the shop that they were going to have to remove the entire control arm?

I have to agree with what someone else said earlier, that replacing the entire control arm with all its bushings would have been the best option, but as it is, I'm trying to save some money right now.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

You don't have to remove the outer CV joint ... get a Haynes manual ..
Old 06-30-2005, 08:46 AM

alright then.... so you need to get some ball joints a ball joint press and im assuming some poly control arm bushings? where execally do you find the bushings?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 AM

I think the removal of the CV joint was just to get it out of the way for better access. Removal of the ball joint top nut was required either way, and I didn't have a wrench for that either.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:02 AM

Ball joints I got from Advance Auto Parts, $28.00 each. Was not going to replace the control arm bushings, though they're also available from Advance for about $33.00
Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda Convert!

FYI if your interested the size of the socket you need to remove the CV nut, is a 36mm Impact grade Socket, they sell them at most autoparts stores.

Bruce
Old 07-27-2006, 07:49 PM

You don't have to remove the lower control arm, the ball joint press you can rent at Autozone or Orielly's is like a big c-clamp you just need to seperate the ball joint, remove the c-clip that holds it to the a-arm and press it out and press the new one in.

You can also buy the ball joint press tool at Harbor Freight, is often on sale for $29.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Maintenance Monster

Phew, to think he waited 13 months and finally you come along to save the day
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Maxima Owner

eBay control arms and ball joint assemblies are fine......plus they have new bushings....many ORG memebers are using them without issues and u can get them for like 100 bux for the pair
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Phew, to think he waited 13 months and finally you come along to save the day
... Totally pointless at this point.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:27 PM

I have oil leaks from the ball joint. I am just wondering what causes this problem. Thanks in advance.