4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whats a good Cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Under the radar

Whats a good Cat-back

Hey guys i have a 99 nissan max se 5-speed and the only cat-back i can find is made by stillen. is there any others out their. and will 95-97 cat-backs fit on the 99?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:42 PM

read this site http://maxmods.dyndns.org/ and the stickies.. should answer a lot of your questions
Old 07-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

cattman and greddy bro..its 97-99 u lookin for
Old 07-01-2005, 11:33 PM
faster than you think

APEXI WS is a good cat-back
Old 07-02-2005, 05:49 AM
ChristheNite

I think a lotta people like the greddy SP-2, not sure so much for the 97-99 cuz the tip sticks out a little past the bumper but soundwise i think its a favorite.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

It aqdds less than 3 hp .. so I would personally rather add something else for the price of these cat backs.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:52 PM
suicidalspd99

NmexMAX. You are one bitter person!!!!! Just help the guy out. he didn't ask for your opinion whether or not to get one. He just want to know what else is out there.
Personally I have the Megan Racing catback. Not alot of people have it but for the price it is worth it. Paired with the Stillen Y-pipe I gained 18 whp. Not bad I think. here the link for them. >> http://www.meganracing.com/products/...asp?prodid=125 Make sure you tell em you have the 1999, and yes it will fit cali. spec also

Old 07-02-2005, 01:07 PM

I like my OBX-H, so bleh.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

In that case, I have a custom bent one from a shop.

I'd rather have a stok one with the y-pipe since I'm the type of person that wants performance over sound. So in this case, any money spent on a cat-back, (3-500) Is usless and could be spent on a VI set-up, be put aside for a VQ35 swap, ECU, KS/O2 sensor or any other maintenance feature that should be attended to.

Most people on the 4th gen forum will go out and buy a $500 cat-back, and post back in 2 weeks saying they need an O2 sensor or KS, and ask why the CEL wasn't tripped. The ghost code had been there, now they're broke, and cannot afford a KS, and post where to find the chepaerst KS.

All along they could've spent $20 to donate and read that cat-backs aren't worth the price even when consiering sound, HP, and that they just look like shiny pieces of exiting gas hardware that one could care less about.

I would have rather spent the 220 I spent for my custom-bent one, and have bought a clutch for my speed swap, or a new lower control arm and have some left over for a 12 pack.

Not bitter, just don't understand when people have more money than brains. I've used useless amounts of money on pointless set-ups, whether it be performance or otherwise, learned the hard and expensive way, and am now smarter and trying to help the community so they don't make the same dumb **** mistakes I did. But seems funny that no one tends to listen .. but I tried.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:32 PM
suicidalspd99

I still think your bitter. But that is me. Maybe this person or any other person that reads this froums wants a cat-back. I have spent much money on my car and loved every minute of it. Never had a problem. Does that make me dumb? No. I have trained since I could walk to be a tech. I would say yes a custom made cat-back is cool. In fact this is the first car I have ever owned that has not had a custom exhaust made for it. You could easily spend 300 + dollars on a custom exhaust. Some people are just starting out and this is want they want to do. Let people learn. Experience is the best Knowledge. Good luck to you Max Out!!!

Old 07-02-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by suicidalspd99
I still think your bitter. But that is me. Maybe this person or any other person that reads this froums wants a cat-back. I have spent much money on my car and loved every minute of it. Never had a problem. Does that make me dumb? No. I have trained since I could walk to be a tech. I would say yes a custom made cat-back is cool. In fact this is the first car I have ever owned that has not had a custom exhaust made for it. You could easily spend 300 + dollars on a custom exhaust. Some people are just starting out and this is want they want to do. Let people learn. Experience is the best Knowledge. Good luck to you Max Out!!!

There's no hope for you if you didn't understand what NmexMax said. The way your supposed to learn is watching the failure of others, NOT the failure of yourself. so spending $300 on a catback, then having zilch to repair the car; thats just plain stupid.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:48 PM
suicidalspd99

No i did understand fully what he said. I would think people would save money on the side for a mod. i mean 20$ here and there no big thing. But i would think people would set aside the money for and exhaust and not dig themselve into a hole. Its Just common sence.

Old 07-02-2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It aqdds less than 3 hp .. so I would personally rather add something else for the price of these cat backs.
thats true....to come and think about it...i bought 2 cattman catbacks for the cars..and they are expensive. i didnt like the piping how nissan made them..just by looking at it. to me..modding my maxima is a expensive hobby and just cant stop from one mod after another....its addictive..haha