4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

TC, JWT POp install, and HELP for something?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 03:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Okay, so since Friday I've installed my JWT POP charger and my B&M tranny cooler. The former was wasy, and cool, it sounds AWESOME and helps the car perform well at those higher revs.
The tranny cooler was a pain to install...literally...as the person who was helping me got cut up worse than I did.

While under the car, I noticed an oil leak where the motor meets the transmission. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I am at 53,000 miles on this '98 ATX. The tranny is obviously still under the ORIGINAL warrantee, not to mention my extended, so I am going to call the service department. However, I am hoping you guys might have some ideas to make me worry less.

Thanks!
erica
Old 05-20-2001, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Some high-mileage (yours isn't one of them??) cars do have a small amount of accumulated oil at the bottom. My Saturn does-- it's not actually leaking oil at the moment, but someone oil has sort of collected there.

Since you have an extended warranty you should be okay... but I can't quite visualize where the leak is without knowing if it's auto or manual, and I'm not an expert either...
Old 05-21-2001, 01:24 AM

if it's covered under warranty, have 'em fix it. if they say it's normal, bring it to another dealership and get a second opinion. save the paperwork from both dealerships if they both say it's ok, that way if you have problems in the future, you have some sort of proof that you noticed the problem while the car was still under warranty...

btw lime, did the screws holding the JWT to the MAF seem kinda long?

-V
Old 05-21-2001, 06:18 AM

My car is ATX (automatic transaxle). It worries me that the place where the motor and tranny meet would be leaking...may be a loose bolt (damnit, I wish everyone would use locktite)...makes me mad.

The screws seemed okay for me...I had no troubles with them. WHy do you ask? Did you have the little washers on?
Old 05-21-2001, 09:18 AM

Hello,

Any pics of the tranny cooler install? I have a B&M Supercooler coming in the mail right now...any tips for the install? I don't want to get cut up too badly!
Old 05-21-2001, 09:22 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=40399

Bill's sticky rocked my world. I printed out the How-To and it was good. HOWEVER there are a few things you need to know..esp. about the B&M. First of all it does NOT come with litle plastic/metal things to prevent the zip ties from going through the radiator, soooo you either need to make some or buy something that will work. And it's a PAIN TO INSTALL, LITERALLY! WEAR GLOVES IF YOU CAN!!!! PLus you will definitely need more hose than they give you.

lime
Old 05-21-2001, 09:54 AM

here

Don't worry bout the oil too much .... my car has oil and ATF all over the bottom of the motor..

Tranny cooler is not that difficult. I installed mine and also Alfredo's "NJ95GXE" . The best instructs for install i have seen are Greg Prete but i don't know if his webpage is up or the link for it .. his sn is GregP i think

just make sure you put all the hoses on the tran cooler b4 you mount it. It will make things a lot easier.

Ant
Old 05-21-2001, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Lime
My car is ATX (automatic transaxle). It worries me that the place where the motor and tranny meet would be leaking...may be a loose bolt (damnit, I wish everyone would use locktite)...makes me mad.

The screws seemed okay for me...I had no troubles with them. WHy do you ask? Did you have the little washers on?
i thought it was fine the the first time i installed it... i had to take it out to get a smog check and this time when i put it back in, it seemed kinda loose... however, the first time i installed it while waiting for my burger at a burger joint at night in like 15 minutes, so it might've been on there loose without me noticing.

yeah, those little lock washers things are on there...

thanks!

-V
Old 05-22-2001, 08:29 AM

:"(

Anyone had trouble with airflow sensors or anything after installing their high-flow intake? I have a service engine soon light on in my car now. May be related to the leak that I found, and nothing to do with the airflow, or the tranny cooler. I check the ATF and it's fine, so now I am just confused. I am going to try to read the ECU if it stops raining.