4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

a bicycle smashed my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by chillin014
i wasnt worried about him being "let off the hook" i was worried about getting a ticket. I've alreayd got a speeding ticket and i've only been driving 4 months.
and i dont think there is anyway to say "clearly he was in the wrong" Because from waht i understand pedestrians always have the right of way.
its too late to argue about it now, that guy was dirt poor and wouldnt even have been able to offer me anything anyway. and consider all the other legal issues taht could have come out of it. the guy had a bicycle with a radio bungee strapped onto it, come on, it wasnt worth it.
A guy on a bike is no longer a pedestrian. Pedestrian means transporting by foot, thus the 'ped' in pedestrian. Those on bikes MUST abide by all the same vehicle laws.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:21 PM

That really sucks, especially since you've been putting so much work into your car. I do agree though, if you want to live in the US/Canada you should assimilate!!! Up here they go on about how everybody from different countries should be allowed to keep their culture...why don't they just stay in their countries then?! Keep aspects of your cultre but learn english and how things work over here.

I'm not prejudiced or anything, but my family immigrated and changed as needed so I don't know why other people can't...you gotta contribute something to your country. Just a little rant Hope it all works out!
Old 07-03-2005, 08:35 PM

1st off: If you declare an accident, and YOUR INSURANCE PAYS FOR THE DAMAGE, it is likely that your premium will go up. Unless the repairs are very expensive (over $1,000) I'd be inclined to keep insurance out of the picture. Your choice though. Definitely don't try to BS them. They will have someone visit your car to check out the claim and that person is likely to be knowledgeable.

2nd: Even if the guy was in the wrong, it would be tough to extract money off a poor immigrant on a bicycle. Bicycles don't have insurance like cars do, so yeah, you handled it the only way you realistically could. Would you really want to hire a lawyer and take this guy to court? Come on guys! He did the only reasonable thing here.

3rd. Let's not get into an immigration debate! This forum really breaks down when it deviates from cars...

Try the junkyard websites to get the mirror and other parts (junkyard dog, carparts.com, etc). Windshield will cost money, but not a fortune. And try "paintless dent removal" places for the dents. They are pretty cheap and as long as the panels aren't creased they can usually get the dents out.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
That really sucks, especially since you've been putting so much work into your car. I do agree though, if you want to live in the US/Canada you should assimilate!!! Up here they go on about how everybody from different countries should be allowed to keep their culture...why don't they just stay in their countries then?! Keep aspects of your cultre but learn english and how things work over here.

I'm not prejudiced or anything, but my family immigrated and changed as needed so I don't know why other people can't...you gotta contribute something to your country. Just a little rant Hope it all works out!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU. jesus christ. i'm from america but i'm not prejudice either. in fact all of my friends are actually FROM other countries. Philippines, iran, lebanon, china, etc etc. So i am familiar with the adjustments.
and once again, you cant truly understand the frusteration until someone you cant even communicate with just cost you over 500 dollars in repair and smashed glass all throughout your car. you cant say a ****in word to him because he wouldnt understand. i imagine this is similar to being hit by a large animal because you cant do **** about it and you know you the animal cant do a thing for you.
thanks for the support Northern.

and doc- its too late now. Like i said none of us know for sure the rules and laws but either way, my insurance would be paying for it, correct? and if they estimate the **** rediculously and i've got to pay a 500 dollar deductable i might as well get the **** done myself. especially considering my insurance will go up within the next couple years or wahtever and i'll just be screwed more. i dont care that he "got off the hook" if thats what actually happened.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
1st off: If you declare an accident, and YOUR INSURANCE PAYS FOR THE DAMAGE, it is likely that your premium will go up. Unless the repairs are very expensive (over $1,000) I'd be inclined to keep insurance out of the picture. Your choice though. Definitely don't try to BS them. They will have someone visit your car to check out the claim and that person is likely to be knowledgeable.

2nd: Even if the guy was in the wrong, it would be tough to extract money off a poor immigrant on a bicycle. Bicycles don't have insurance like cars do, so yeah, you handled it the only way you realistically could. Would you really want to hire a lawyer and take this guy to court? Come on guys! He did the only reasonable thing here.

3rd. Let's not get into an immigration debate! This forum really breaks down when it deviates from cars...

Try the junkyard websites to get the mirror and other parts (junkyard dog, carparts.com, etc). Windshield will cost money, but not a fortune. And try "paintless dent removal" places for the dents. They are pretty cheap and as long as the panels aren't creased they can usually get the dents out.

Good luck!
okay thank you, my thoughts exactly. and i think it is creased, its got scratches too. i'll look into it though.
thanks man
Old 07-03-2005, 08:53 PM

okay thank you, my thoughts exactly. and i think it is creased, its got scratches too. i'll look into it though.
thanks man

I don't know how bad the scratches are, but turtle-wax polishing compound can do wonders if it's not scraped down to bare metal. It takes a little elbow grease though.

If most of the scratches come off w\ the polishing compound, you may opt to just use some touch-up paint on the few deeper areas and save a some money on repainting costs.

Like I said, I don't know how deep the scratches are...
Old 07-03-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
I don't know how bad the scratches are, but turtle-wax polishing compound can do wonders if it's not scraped down to bare metal. It takes a little elbow grease though.

If most of the scratches come off w\ the polishing compound, you may opt to just use some touch-up paint on the few deeper areas and save a some money on repainting costs.

Like I said, I don't know how deep the scratches are...
yeah i have some, i'll definently check them out. i really havent even been worried about that. i've got an inspection to pass this month so i need the mirror and window top priority.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:31 PM

its hard to explain. basically some dumb**** on a bike was going opposite the direction of traffic as i was turning on to a side street. there fore i was not looking in the opposite direction of traffic. so i turn on to the sidestreet and the next thing i know my drivers side window shatters onto my face.
nobody was hurt AT ALL. but this is the thing. he didnt speak english.( FUHCK!!!) SO i got a ****ed up car and thats it. We decided (me and my parents) calling the police would only end in his favor, unless he was an illegal alien or on drugs or something.
my drivers side door has some huge dents. the tint on my window that i just bought a month ago saved my face because the glas completely shattered and it kept most of it together.. So drivers side window broke. The drivers side mirror broke completely off the bracket flew INTO MY CAR and all the way through and scratched my passenger window and passenger door panel.
my WINDSHEILD has some HUGE cracks.
his bicycle was completely fine.

so i guess the first thing to do is fix my window and hope my window regulator isnt broken. and fix the mirror to make my car driveable. i just dont know how much these things will cost.
how much will a mirror cost for a GLE? the bracket looks like it could be messed up so i dont know if i need that.
and how much would a drivers side window glass cost?
alright i guess thats all, i knwo the windsheild price will be rediculous so i wont even ask right now
Wanna hear something ridiculous? When I was in grad school I was driving my friend's Carerra. I was trying to make a right turn onto an avenue, and was completely stopped. This bicyclist smashed into the front left fender, and caused a lot of damage. The cops came and gave him a citation. NOW GET THIS: almost a year later my friend was served with papers and was being sued for 2 million dollars. The bicyclist saw a Porsche and went for the money. I had to give a deposition since I was the driver. Lucky I have a little background so I know darn well the insurance co. is not on my friend's side--their lawyers were looking for some willful conduct on my part so they could deny any claims. Too bad for them since I can walk their talk. Anyway, we never knew what became of it but assume the insurance co. probably settled for a few hundred thousand. What a dumb system we have, eh?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:59 AM

1st: remembering wut i had been taught all throughout grade school, people on bike or foot SHOULD go against traffic because it is better for their safety. easier to see oncoming cars and to jump out of the way or some thing of that matter. 2nd: remembering wut i learned in criminal justice class, i believe my officer telling me that ur windshield should be replaced free of charge by the correct authorities (dont remember who holds that responsibility) since, obviously, it is illegal to drive with a cracked or broken windshield. the only thing is ur insurance will reflect upon that, therefore its not really free!
Old 07-04-2005, 06:03 AM

[QUOTE=MaximaSpd85]1st: remembering wut i had been taught all throughout grade school, people on bike or foot SHOULD go against traffic because it is better for their safety. easier to see oncoming cars and to jump out of the way or some thing of that matter.

You were taught wrong. Pedestrians go against traffic, but bicycles go with traffic. Pure and simple!
Old 07-04-2005, 07:00 AM

dam thats a strong bike, wonder if it was a cannodale

jk sorry to hear what happened bro.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
dam thats a strong bike, wonder if it was a cannodale

jk sorry to hear what happened bro.
nah man that guy had a piece of **** bike. with a little radio strapped onto it. i was hoping his bike would be at least a little ****ed up. i think his handle bars were slightly moved to the side.
other wise he didnt have **** wrong with his bike or his body.
it still kills me that he cracked my windsheild too.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:14 PM

You were taught wrong. Pedestrians go against traffic, but bicycles go with traffic. Pure and simple! [/QUOTE]

Something like that, i guess i got half right! my badd
Old 07-04-2005, 11:39 PM

damn im surprised at how everyone wants to rip off the insurance company.... and thats messsed up at how all of u react...not caring that both the guy in the bike and the driver werent hurt....the guy who started this thread has his head on straight ..he came here to asks for help on finding parts..just do that for him....

anyways... good luck fixing your max
Old 07-04-2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by drvefastho
damn im surprised at how everyone wants to rip off the insurance company.... and thats messsed up at how all of u react...not caring that both the guy in the bike and the driver werent hurt....the guy who started this thread has his head on straight ..he came here to asks for help on finding parts..just do that for him....

anyways... good luck fixing your max
dude dont be a noob ...if he wanted parts he wouldnt give us a story on how it happened..im pretty sure he wanted some feedback if not..then he should have just said he wanted parts..anyway..CHILLIN did you atleast get the license plate number?..i guess you could call it a hit and run...come on man.what the hell r u going to report?..."there was this guy on a bike..he hit my car...ummmm he couldnt speak english..so i let it go..and decided to call you because i could be making up this entire incident"? how the hell you think the insurance company is gonna react? "sure we can replace everything no questions asked"? more like....*click* then you go "hello? hello? hellllooooo?"
Old 07-05-2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chipotle18
dude dont be a noob ...if he wanted parts he wouldnt give us a story on how it happened..im pretty sure he wanted some feedback if not..then he should have just said he wanted parts..anyway..CHILLIN did you atleast get the license plate number?..i guess you could call it a hit and run...come on man.what the hell r u going to report?..."there was this guy on a bike..he hit my car...ummmm he couldnt speak english..so i let it go..and decided to call you because i could be making up this entire incident"? how the hell you think the insurance company is gonna react? "sure we can replace everything no questions asked"? more like....*click* then you go "hello? hello? hellllooooo?"

Nonsense! He will have full coverage, regardless of how the incident happened. What do you think insurance is for?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:08 AM

sorry about what happened..that really sucks =\
Old 07-05-2005, 06:13 AM

posts some pics man, but hope everything works out...
Old 07-05-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
1st: remembering wut i had been taught all throughout grade school, people on bike or foot SHOULD go against traffic because it is better for their safety. easier to see oncoming cars and to jump out of the way or some thing of that matter.
No. I speak from many years of cycling experience, having logged many thousands of miles on bikes. As far as bicycles are concerned this is completely asinine, and one of the reasons is because of the accident that led to this thread. Another reason is that a head on collision with a car is far more dangerous for a cyclist than a collision with a car going in the same direction. Cyclists should always travel with traffic and not against it. People who teach kids to ride against the flow of traffic are ignorant and are extremely irresponsible.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:30 AM

a bicycle is a death trap
Old 07-05-2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sy0p
a bicycle is a death trap

Most people say that about cars. So what's your point?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:37 AM

I think all states are similar, but bicycles are subject to vehicle code. They have to be going to same direction as traffic, follow all lights, signs, etc, use turn signals, can't be riden on sidewalks and yes you can get a DUI on a bicycle. I would have gotten the police involved. I work in a bike shop so I get asked these questions all the time.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:22 PM

Just get a f*cking door man.