4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I got BEES with Budget WTH

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 02:49 PM

I got BEES with Budget WTH

I got a Budget Y pipe and it was fine up until two later when this sorta metallic ringing sound started popping up when I get on the throttle at around 3k and past.

Does exhaust wrap actually help and do I wrap just the flex section? I know exhaust wrap is more likely to retain moisture etc etc but I live in Cali and I figured its a SS pipe. I was really disappointed. I went with Budget because very few people have had problems with them, and I jsut happen to be one of them who did.

Anyway, as for the exhaust wrap, should I do the whole pipe or just the flex section.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by egxflash
I got a Budget Y pipe and it was fine up until two later when this sorta metallic ringing sound started popping up when I get on the throttle at around 3k and past.

Does exhaust wrap actually help and do I wrap just the flex section? I know exhaust wrap is more likely to retain moisture etc etc but I live in Cali and I figured its a SS pipe. I was really disappointed. I went with Budget because very few people have had problems with them, and I jsut happen to be one of them who did.

Anyway, as for the exhaust wrap, should I do the whole pipe or just the flex section.
a tad OT... how's the Butt dyno??
Old 07-07-2005, 03:14 PM

hmm...had my budget for 2 yrs and no bees. slight growl at low rpm but thats it.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
when did you get the pipe? seems like there have been a couple of duds in the last few weeks. i'm kinda bummed, because I'd been looking forward to ordering one... now i'm wondering if the extra cost of Cattman is worth it to save some aggravation.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:29 PM

Iam kind of in the same boat. I'm about to order a y pipe and i was going to go budget but it seems like a few people have complained about there y pipes in the past few weeks. One guy said he found leaks and a bad o2 sensor bung.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:29 PM

i got the pipe 2-3 weeks ago. I just noticed that a lot of people have been getting poor quality pipes from Budget recently too, (and i realized that after I got my pipe ack!)

Anyway, the car feels excellent though. You can really feel the power increase in the midrange and boy, DO YOU FEEL IT! Excellent bang for the buck...except of course for that annoying metallic noise.

Cruising around its OK. You cant hear the bees when youre easy on the throttle..but after a certain point at your tip in, that damn noise pops up and its SOOOO noticeable.

Anyway, I seriously want to get rid of it because I get picky with my car like that but I dont really want to spend that much anymore. I figure Ill just wrap it now and when it goes bad, just buy a diff pipe.

Anybody have advice on exhaust wrap?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Did you install it? There should be no bees in the can. I certainly haven't had any in the 13 months I've had my stainless steel Budget y-pipe. Avoid the exhaust wrap. It's primarily application is to wrap racing headers and I've been told to avoid it by two racing shops as far as a daily driver is concerned..
Old 07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Team Ramrod

That sucks, I don't know what's going on with budget lately. Guess that narrows it down to CE or Cattmann for me.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Also do you have a stock airbox and stock air filter or some other contraption. If its not the stock airbox perhaps the intake, popcharger or whatever is part of the problem.

All I have is a K&N panel filter with my Budget y and there is absolutely no sound difference at idle or when cruising, just a bit of a growl at WOT and I had that with the K&N panel filter before I had the Budget y installed a few weeks later.

I would blame the problem on installation or an intake or a combination thereof. Were there any noticeable defects in the Budget y prior to its installation, eg cracks, fault welds?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:41 PM

what about warpspeed i know this has been brought up plenty of times before but i just would like to hear a few pros and cons of the warpspeed pipes. Just the regular one not the superflex joint one.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:44 PM

I run the stock airbox, with the silencer box (at the bottom of the snorkel) removed and plugged up. After I did this (i didnt have the y pipe at this point) there was a tiny bit more growl but sounded rather stock.

Anyway, after the Y pipe install, the car sounded great. The car sounded like it was SUCKING a ton of air in. Like a friggen vacuum....and I stress this, because the car sounded awesome. Other than that, theres that rasp at idle and low rpms and no bees. The next day or two, the problem popped up again. I already tried everything. I ran it without the cat converter shield, without the hanger bracket (i thought those might have been rattling) but the bees was still there.

And yes, I replaced the crush rings when i took it off and fiddled with it...the cat to y pipe gasket from Budget was still fine so i lay off of it.

Anyway, the thing has been put in more than once already and I gotta tell you, I made sure that every nut and bolt went into the right place because I didnt want to have to take off again cuz its a hassle.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:44 PM

oh and PS.. Only other thing is that I have K&N air filter.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by egxflash
I had this EXACT noise for the first week or so after I installed my Warpspeed Y-pipe. Metallic ringing around 3-4k at WOT.

I thought it might have been banging against the center underbody beam. But the problem actually went away by itself after a couple weeks, and it's been noise-free for 6+ months now.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ewuzh
I had this EXACT noise for the first week or so after I installed my Warpspeed Y-pipe. Metallic ringing around 3-4k at WOT.

I thought it might have been banging against the center underbody beam. But the problem actually went away by itself after a couple weeks, and it's been noise-free for 6+ months now.
That's great news Eric. I really do hope thats the case.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:04 PM

a tiny exaust leak would make the "bees in the can" sound too.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:07 PM

bees in the can? i have budget, and i can hear a sound, but i like it, im not sure if that is the bees in the can sound, i have no complaints about it. My car sounds good so i dont know if im having that problem or not.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:12 PM

I highly doubt its an air leak since the sound is non existent except for at those rpms WHEN the throttle is past a certain point. If Im almost just feathering the gas, theres no noise.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Whatever you do don't wrap it. I had a perfectly sounding exhaust and I wrapped my flex section. Now I took the wrap off and it sounds like poo. The wrap kind of rusted the flex and now there's tiny pinholes in it.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:21 PM

Warp speed is only found on ebay right?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 90stanza
Warp speed is only found on ebay right?
no

call them
tell them your from the .org and you'll get the alum mandrel bent pipe for 160 shipped
Old 07-07-2005, 04:35 PM

my sounds great, i got my budget like 4 months ago. They said something like it was one of the last one before they had to make another set. The welds were not great, same with the b pipe but it sounds great.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:53 PM

im just hope it ends up being the same thing as it was in Ewuzh's car. Hopefully the sound just goes away cuz im running out of optionsa
Old 07-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by sonicrunch
a tiny exaust leak would make the "bees in the can" sound too.
True, but if the sound is only at 3k+, then I doubt it's a leak. If it was a leak, it would be noticeable at idle as well. It probably just has to adjust and settle in. Give it some time and keep us updated.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Black Maxima

This "bees in a can" sound, does it sound like a heat shield vibrating?

Old 07-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
bees in the can? i have budget, and i can hear a sound, but i like it, im not sure if that is the bees in the can sound, i have no complaints about it. My car sounds good so i dont know if im having that problem or not.

i have that too. but i don't think that it is BITC either. just the raspyness of the engine becoming more apparent. although i have never heard an exhaust with bee-in-the-can so i don't have anything to compare it to. does anyone have a clip that has really evident BITC noise? i'd just be curious to hear what it sounds like.
thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 07:33 PM

you get what you pay for..
Old 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Black Maxima

Yea, Stillen cost big bucks and I guess I got bees in a can...

Old 07-07-2005, 08:12 PM

Can any one actually maybe record this noise, I am just curious what it sounds like. Is it that bad or can you deal with it.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Black Maxima

I have a recording of it on video. But I want to make sure it is the correct noise. Someone needs to verify if the bees in a can sounds like a heat shield vibrating a little bit...

Old 07-07-2005, 08:23 PM
sunten1

Originally Posted by Maximized Jiggs
Can any one actually maybe record this noise, I am just curious what it sounds like. Is it that bad or can you deal with it.

YA i wanna know what it sounds like aswell....i was also interested in budget a long time ago...like in the winter...but then i also wanted to get a system...and thats what i got...

so....stay away from WSP theyll get BITC in a few weeks
and cattman i think nobody has had problems with but its like 300 bucks...i guess i have no choice then....

Old 07-07-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
This "bees in a can" sound, does it sound like a heat shield vibrating?
Well, Ive never had any part of my car rattle like that so I cant accurately gauge whether it would sound like that. If youre inferring that it might be a loose heat shield, I can tell you now that it isnt. I thought the same way too and took off the bracket and the heat shield and that sound is still there...same as before.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:44 PM

the bees in a can sound is what almost every freaking honda sounds like. that "improved flow" by removing the entire exhaust. the annoying "bwaaaaahhhh" sound I hate. Personally I like the muffled sound catalytic converters give. If I could make my max sound like a G35 or a 350z I would be in heaven. But having half a liter less and the absence of variable intake I don't think I'll ever get that sound.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by zander
the bees in a can sound is what almost every freaking honda sounds like. that "improved flow" by removing the entire exhaust. the annoying "bwaaaaahhhh" sound I hate. Personally I like the muffled sound catalytic converters give. If I could make my max sound like a G35 or a 350z I would be in heaven. But having half a liter less and the absence of variable intake I don't think I'll ever get that sound.

like ive previously stated, its not a "bwaaaah" sound. It's a slight metallic ringing noise that crops up at half throttle to WOT around 3-5k.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 PM

I think our bwahh sounds are different. I'm pretty sure I know the sound though. Its kinda high pitched? I got that sound in my jetta when I got a header that eliminated the cat, horribly annoying. But maybe the sound I'm thinking of is totally different.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by zander
Yes, we all know what the "bees in a can" sound sounds like, and everything you said is irrelevant to this thread anyway, if you had read what he stated, he said it sounded more like a metallic ringing noise.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 AM

my y pipe sounds find
Old 07-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
you get what you pay for..
You can pay double for Cattman and it will rust away up north
Old 07-08-2005, 08:31 AM

Well I got my budget y-pipe yesterday. It looks perfect. Will install it tmrw and let ya all know how it sounds.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Black Maxima

OK so "bees in a can" is not a heat shield rattling sound? Because I hear a noise that sounds exactly like 3 bees in a coffee can buzzing around. Sounds like a headshield or something. To me a loud, obnoxious noise doesn't sound like bees.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:53 AM

I got & installed an aluminzed budget y about a month ago, no bees. however, now with custom non-resonated 2.5" b-pipe, i get some "rasp" when off the throttle after a run up to 4-5k or between shifts when driving spiritedly. I don't think its BITC though, and i kind of like it.

Quick Reply: I got BEES with Budget WTH