4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

fuel injector cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 09:01 AM

my dealer has recommended to clean my injectors at 45k since i do not know what sort of gas the previous owner drove.. should i do this as well as replace the fuel filter? they want about 120 to do both jobs? any suggestions
Old 05-21-2001, 09:15 AM

45k for a fuel injector cleaning is too soon. All gasolines have detergents in them, so I don't think it really mattered what gas the previous owner used. If you want to clean out your fuel system, run a couple bottles of Chevron Techron Concentrate (not Progard, but Concentrate) in your gas tank.

But if you want to help your dealer with their boat payments, well you are free to do so. But I wouldn't spend the money.
Old 05-21-2001, 09:27 AM

the thing is here in iowa we have ethanol gas and it is crappy.. my old pickup would not start in the winter with ethanol gas.. since the gas statins say it is not very clean.. so i was worrying about this with the max.. mabye i should let then do the fuel filter only?
Old 05-21-2001, 09:43 AM

Not all gas is equal when it comes to the additives. The type injector used in the 4th gen Maximas is much less likely to become clogged than the earlier ones, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. If you do get them cleaned, after the cleaning is done have the gas filter changed.
The way the fuel system works is that excess fuel is returned to the gas tank after apssing through the fuel rail. Any crud loosened during the cleaning, that does not go through the injector, will be returned to the tank. The new filter will trap the junk without getting clogged.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:00 AM

Fuel injector cleaner

Originally posted by kutscher
my dealer has recommended to clean my injectors at 45k since i do not know what sort of gas the previous owner drove.. should i do this as well as replace the fuel filter? they want about 120 to do both jobs? any suggestions
I've had good results with fuel injector cleaners, the kind you put in the gas tank. I recommend it where there is a clear indication of an injector problem. I don't recommend it for use as a preventive measure.

IMHO all name-brand fuel injector cleaners are equally good at cleaning injectors. Techron claims to also clean carbon deposits from the stems of intake valves. Certain engines -- older four cylinder Toyotas in particular -- have this problem. I've never heard of it in the VQ30DE engine used in our 4Gen Maximas. For this reason I would not pay the higher cost for Techron.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:34 AM

I typically dump in a bottle of Valvoline SynPower fuel injector cleaner every other oil change. Never had a problem yet in the last 3 Maximas!
Old 05-21-2001, 12:35 PM

so if i understand i should not get the injectors cleaned, and i should wait on the fuel filter and use a cleaner i can put into the fuel tank?? when should i change the fuel filter??/\thanks
Old 05-21-2001, 01:29 PM

From what I have been told, the commercial-grade injector cleaners are much more concentrated than the over-the-counter stuff. That is all the more reason NOT to do it unless your car is running poorly. Even if you choose to have it done, it can be done at just about any fast lube place for half of the dealership's cost.

My recommendation, put a can of over-the-counter cleaner in; always use name-brand, Premium grade gasoline; and replace the fuel filter as indicated in the back of your owner's manual (60K, IIRC).
Old 05-21-2001, 03:10 PM

Thanks, i think i will cancel my appointment with the dealer and just keep using amoco ultimate, and adding otc fuel system cleaners at each oil change.. until 60k then replace the fuel filter

thanks for saving me money!!!
e
Old 05-21-2001, 04:12 PM

I just got my injectors clean, while getting an oil change..i have around 97K on a 96 SE and the place where I got my oil change used a injection product called Mega Power--basically it's a 3 step process; they put something in the tank, something in the PVC value (under the hood), and one other thing--slips my mind.

in any case, it worked great! i live in maryland and it fuel injector service costed about 40 bucks. i would avoid the dealers..

good luck
Old 05-21-2001, 05:22 PM

Fuel filter is changed only when necessary

Originally posted by kutscher
so if i understand i should not get the injectors cleaned, and i should wait on the fuel filter and use a cleaner i can put into the fuel tank?? when should i change the fuel filter??/\thanks
Replacing the fuel filter is not part of any scheduled maintenance procedure.
It is something like a headlight bulb: you replace it when you need to.

Replacing the fuel filter is something which may be done by the home mechanic.
It is somewhat more difficult to reach if your Maxima is equipped with ABS.
It does not require any special tools. It does require manual dexterity and patience.

See http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/mega...0k_service.html
and scroll down to Step 3, Fuel Filter.

Go to Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Click on SUBTOPICS below Maintenance.
Click on Changing the Fuel Filter
Old 05-22-2001, 12:24 AM

300Z turbo injectors... goes from a 50-55 to a 60-65... makes richer fuel/air mixture... anyone did the mod yet?