4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bought 89 octane

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 09:48 AM

i have been putting 89 in for a while now and have had no problems, although i have a stock max and dont race.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Spaniard
Octane by itself does not generate the power. But the ECU advances the timing in coordination with the knock sensor to provide the most possible power w/o knock. Higher octane gas= more advance = more power = better mileage.
sounds good to me, lets roll with that.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:46 PM

Mr Fontaine, did you even read my post. We have high performance vehicles. I even stated the compression ratio. I am not saying anything about power or fuel efficiency. I said 91 octane creates a more efficient burn during combustion. thus making better use of the fuel. This could theoretically lead to better gas mileage. If I were really that concerned with that I would be driving a four banger or (and I cringe at the thought) a hybrid. Increased combustion efficiency does, however, lead to better power. If your ECU detects, preignition, timing is retarded, and output is reduced. Ask your cousin to research our motor and see what he says. Volvos are not Maximas. They were built for pompous *******es that can't drive but want luxury. Volvo technology is irrelevant. And if you rely solely on the belief of one person for your information, regardless of how much you think he knows...Whatever.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wetballoon
Mr Fontaine, did you even read my post. We have high performance vehicles. I even stated the compression ratio. I am not saying anything about power or fuel efficiency. I said 91 octane creates a more efficient burn during combustion. thus making better use of the fuel. This could theoretically lead to better gas mileage. If I were really that concerned with that I would be driving a four banger or (and I cringe at the thought) a hybrid. Increased combustion efficiency does, however, lead to better power. If your ECU detects, preignition, timing is retarded, and output is reduced. Ask your cousin to research our motor and see what he says. Volvos are not Maximas. They were built for pompous *******es that can't drive but want luxury. Volvo technology is irrelevant. And if you rely solely on the belief of one person for your information, regardless of how much you think he knows...Whatever.

word
Old 07-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
if people go from 91 to 87 and their car runs like **** then where is the debate?
and honestly i think i'm getting better gas mileage too..i've been getting 250 on a full tank of 87, now im getting over 300.
Have you any clue what you're saying? You used to get 13.5 mpg, and now that you've switched, you're getting over 16.22 mpg? What an absolutely bizarre statement. Or you're not good at math. Your statement is like saying your IQ became well over 100 once you started using ginseng. 250 miles on a tank of gas, and now you're over 300, what a joke.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:52 PM

I won't argue with you, you obviously know my gas mileage better than I do.
Before I was getting around 250-270, depending on how I drove and all those other factors that come into play. When I first got the car I could get 350.
Now I'm getting over 300, even if its barely over.
Its always fluxuated. I've got nothing else to say, I'm not gona fight about it. Like I said, its my gas mileage, who are you to try to tell me about what is going on with my car.
get off my back bro.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Why our manuals say 91, who knows. Probably 91 octane is available in another country. Every station that I visit has 87, 89, 93, and sometimes 94. No 91......
91 is the highest octane you can buy at a regular pump in Colorado, unless you go to a place with 100 octane on a special pump. I'm sure it's mostly to do with elevation seeing as i live at 6000ft above sea level.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 PM

Only 91 in California, it seems...
The JWT ECU really likes the higher octane. (It advances the timing even more than stock, and they specifically say USE 92!!)

When I take it to the track, I dump in about 3-3.5 gallons of 110 race fuel, for approximately 94-95 octane.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:16 PM

Why oh why would you put anything but premium ocatane into your car? You're not saving money, you' accumulating issues for the near future. You save money when ure on premium since ure ECU advances timing and makes use of it. I use 94 ocatane and i'm laughing, keeps ure system clean, and ure engine takes less effort to move the car. Oh well.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:26 PM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by KNYFE
I look at it this way... If there is $.10 diff from reg to premium you are looking at $1.80 for a full 18 gallon tank. Not a big deal to me.
or $3 when gettin premium. just imagine u had gone to mcdonalds 10 times this week instead of 9

Old 07-17-2005, 09:57 PM

Actually, the owners manual says minimum 91 octane. This is determined by the ignition timing and compression ratio of the engine. Higher octane fuels burn slower allowing for more ignition advance on lower compression while allowing a higher compression to not knock. If I remember correctly, our cars have 11.5:1 compression while the average car is well below 10:1. Ratios this high were common in teh 60's but haven't been nearly as popular since. If you want peak pressure at the correct time during the ignition portion of the stroke without having the ignition retarded, you will use the appropriate octane. If you don't care about combustion efficiency, use whatever, and my car will make better use of it's fuel than yours. If you feel that I am in error, read a book. If you must tell me about it, provide your source (not your cousin that has been working on cars in his garage for 50 years).
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. A stock 4th Gen Maxima does not have a compression ratio of 11.5 to 1. It is in the order of 10.0 or 10.25 to 1, but not 11.5 to 1.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Back from the dead

i think the mods love seeing us argue about this..,
Old 07-17-2005, 11:30 PM

Bobo,
I concede that I may be incorrect in stating that we have 11.5: compression. I cannot at this time find a trustworthy source to back up that statement and may have this engine confused with one that I had in a previous car. You have said that I do not have a clue based on that one statement. Is there anything else that I have said that you want to dispute, or does one inaccurate number make a person oblivious to reality. For the record, I feel that I was being generous in my estimation of the compression of most other cars. While trying to locate the correct compression ratio, I did find a very informative octane information Q&A. While this is on Chevron's site, it does not state that higher octane should be used, It explains when and why.
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...i_octane.shtml
Old 07-18-2005, 06:26 AM

Bobo,
I concede that I may be incorrect in stating that we have 11.5: compression. I cannot at this time find a trustworthy source to back up that statement and may have this engine confused with one that I had in a previous car. You have said that I do not have a clue based on that one statement. Is there anything else that I have said that you want to dispute, or does one inaccurate number make a person oblivious to reality. For the record, I feel that I was being generous in my estimation of the compression of most other cars. While trying to locate the correct compression ratio, I did find a very informative octane information Q&A. While this is on Chevron's site, it does not state that higher octane should be used, It explains when and why.
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...i_octane.shtml
My comment was specific to your statement about 11.5 to 1 compression ratio. I did a search this morning and have determined the compression ratio of a 4th Gen Maxima is 10.0 to 1.

By the way most of the muscle cars of the 60s were only about 10.25 or 10.5 to 1.